PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue And Cuts

PismoLocal
12-07-2005, 04:39 PM
how well does superglue work on cuts, i have heard of people putting super glue on cuts instead of getting stiched or on cuts that are deep but not life threatening. has any body done this or does any ond do this?

stc416rider
12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
yeah i have and its fine

its just hard 2 get off;)

zlam27
12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
it causes the blood to clot and therefore stop a majority of the bleeding. it also makes a crusty protective band-aid that helps keep the cut closed.

PismoLocal
12-07-2005, 04:47 PM
ok good because i cut my thumb deep 20min ago and its bugging the hell out me

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 05:02 PM
It's a common misconception that Superglue was invented during the Vietnam war for quick closure of wounds. In reality, it was invented a little earlier, by mistake. It was first sold commercially in 1958, but the Vietnam war didn't start until 1962.

However, it was indeed USED in the Vietnam war for that exact reason, but that's certainly not the reason it was invented.

DAB516
12-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Certain chemical in super glue are very toxic and I would not do it.

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by DAB516

And what would those be?

TheFontMaster
12-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I know some doctors use a type of super glue for cuts on paitients. Now I doubt it's the super glue you get at wal*mart, but yea I have heard of people using it.

DAB516
12-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Methyl alcohol is one

DAB516
12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Sure it works but i'd only use it on really small cutsif nothing else was available. The deeper it is the more chance the toxic stuff could get in the bloodstream which is were your problems start, and clean out the wound before applying it. Traping germs in the cut would provide a nice warm breeding ground for them which will lead to infection.

Evana13
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
my uncle is a paramedic and he uses it all the time.

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Methyl alcohol is one

I don't know as I would call Methyl alcohol "very toxic". The fatal dose is generally accepted to be around 4 ounces, or about 1/3 of a soda can pure.

He's using a few drops on the skin.

And Methyl alcohol is really the only bad thing. The FDA has approved a butyl-version for medical use.

400exrules
12-07-2005, 05:35 PM

kids eat glue all day long.........all they do is burp

DAB516
12-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't know as I would call Methyl alcohol "very toxic". The fatal dose is generally accepted to be around 4 ounces, or about 1/3 of a soda can pure.

And Methyl alcohol is really the only bad thing. The FDA has approved a butyl-version for medical use.

You do have a point, but it really depends on the deepness of the cut, amount used, and how often you use it.

I realize this but we're not talking about the medical use glue we're talking about the super glue off of a store shelve.

DAB516
12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
kids eat glue all day long.........all they do is burp

Yea but we're not talking about paste glues like Elmers. We're talking about SUper Glue. Go and try to drink/eat that.

NacsMXer
12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
One time I was wearing sandals, and I was walking by my KLX 110 when my heel came down on the footpeg and totally ripped it wide open. I was surprised and sort of pissed because I wanted to go riding but my heel was bleeding pretty good. I tried the super glue trick for the first time and it worked great! I just cleaned the spot, put the super glue on and let it dry for 5 minutes. After that it was all good and I got to go riding! :) The glue comes off after a couple weeks, at that point the wound is perfectly healed.

DAB516
12-07-2005, 06:03 PM
If the question is will it work then the answer is yes.

But the better question is, is it health and the best choice? NO

BLACKeR
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
But the better question is, is it health and the best choice? NO

it costs $3.97 from walmart, its always the better choice...

bulkdriverlp
12-07-2005, 08:25 PM
both my in-laws work at a hospital, they use it all the time for cuts

2004exrider
12-07-2005, 09:01 PM

Dang this guy's smart, how do you know about all this stuff? lol.

Jimmy

Moto92
12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I cut my thumb wide open on a food processer blade one day, bleed like a stuck pig. Anyways i pinched it together and super glued the cut. Worked perfect, i just kept putting on a little more for a few days to keep it sealed real good. Saved myself a trip to the ER

300exOH
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
My dad and I have used superglue on cuts for years and it works great. Hopefully there are no long term affects.:ermm: I wouldn't use it all the time or in large doses but it can save you a trip to the ER.

Mxjunkie
12-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I do it all the time, Mechanic band aid..

or Paper towel and tape :D

300exOH
12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69

Yeah I've used that one many times too:o

Mxjunkie
12-07-2005, 10:32 PM
lol...

I was at work working on a old ford with a steel bumper while taking it off we second guessed how many bolts it had and it fell on me and cut my leg open, I wanted some tape/towl, My hilljack of a boss walks over with some peroxide and a damn needle and thread! I looked at him like are you nuts, I've seen him and my dad do it before, but I sure as heck arent doing it, father like son noo way in that department hahaha..

lol its amazing the people things do to avoid a hostpital bill..

300exOH
12-07-2005, 10:39 PM
LOL. I thought I was the only one with family nutty enough to stitch themselves up. My grandpa and my dad have both told me stories about doing that. My dad closed a huge lockblade knife on his finger one time and almost cut the tip off. He grabbed a needle and thread and sewed it right up.:eek2: He said once its cut the nerves are stunned and it doesn't hurt anyway. I think I'll stick with the glue.

QuadJunkies
12-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
how well does superglue work on cuts, i have heard of people putting super glue on cuts instead of getting stiched or on cuts that are deep but not life threatening. has any body done this or does any ond do this? works good unless your allergic to Adhesive like I am... Then its not so good! :eek2:

JTRtrx250r
12-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
it costs $3.97 from walmart, its always the better choice... LMAO:D

dudes gotta good point, just a trip thru the ER door is 5 bills..

dangle
12-08-2005, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
LMAO:D

dudes gotta good point, just a trip thru the ER door is 5 bills..

E.R. trips cost me 50$... gotta love insurance..

Mike

wilkin250r
12-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
Dang this guy's smart, how do you know about all this stuff? lol.

I'm not QUITE as smart as I appear to be. I don't always know all this stuff right off the top of my head.

In reality, I know a few things. Superglue was indeed used in Vietnam to seal wounds (the same stuff you buy on the shelf). However, TODAY'S formula of superglue is not the exact same formula that you buy on the shelf.

So, the next step is off to Google to find the exact difference. Everything you ever want to know is available on the internet within minutes.

I often know a few peices to the puzzle, and then I search the internet to fill in the gaps.

PismoLocal
12-09-2005, 11:48 AM
i used it on wednesday thanx for the info, it worked so well i think im just going to go through my house and throw out all my band aids now

Woodsrider
12-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I use it all the time. When my son was 4 months old, he had open heart surgery to correct TOF. The surgeon used super glue to close the incision in his chest. The only sticthes he got were in his heart. and two peices of lock wire in his sternum. If they can use it on a four month old infant, I figure it's safe enough for me;)

bwamos
12-09-2005, 08:52 PM
I often know a few peices to the puzzle, and then I search the internet to fill in the gaps.

A-men

My father taught me that an intelligent person doesn't memorize facts, he learns how to find the facts when he needs them.

I always carry superglue in my first aid kit. It works great for superficial cuts. Stings like a mofo. It also makes your cut/wound waterproof. If it's deep enough to cause internal bleeding.. you have bigger issues. ;)

fasterblaster09
12-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Do you put it INSIDE of the wound? Or just put the skin together and glue it and let it dry?

ShiftFMX
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69

:o Workin with sheet metal all day has its downsides...

Deff shouldve gone the the ER for this one...but I had work to do instead, good thing there was an electrician on the job site...

the way it bled I think It hit a vein in my wrist... :confused:

holister
12-10-2005, 05:49 AM
i use it when i get blisters so that they dont bother me when i'm racing