PDA

View Full Version : Trx450 Vs.yfz450 Why I Picked Honda

ocoast2005
12-07-2005, 11:23 AM
First let me say these are my opinions only and the reasons i picked a 06 trx450 over 06 yfz 450..
made this little comparisson when i bought my 06 i thought it might be helpfull to any one interested . idid alot of research and comparing .
ergonomics: easy chioce trx fit and felt better
suspension: imo yfz had the edge
handling : yfz
hp : yfz
torque : trx
otd price :trx
over all ride quality : trx by smal margin
drag race : even -came down to rider ability (stock)
reliability : even - they both have had thier isuues and when you buying a high perf atv that most ride hard and modifiy it comes down to how you take care of the machine and who does the work?and some problems are to be expected
cost of maintance: i gave the edge to trx for some reason the yfz oil filter costs 3-4$ more? add this up doing oil changes every 20 hrs
all these where based on stock units.

iceracer65
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
i think the small amount of problems the 450R has had as well as they way honda has handled them far out weighs yamahas effort.

ocoast2005
12-07-2005, 11:29 AM
what i am trying to say is if your in the market to buy a new quad do your research and at least sit on both machines.
there is also the want factor ..which one do i want more .
also i took in consideration the mods i was going to do .
i belive with equal mods both quads are very close.
my deciding factors where torque, ergonomics,and overall feel of the ride.

raptor88
12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
yeah i felt the same way, i rode his yfz and my knees where in the handle bars:eek2: so that was a deffinate no. then i rode a 450r at the dunes and i loved it, just the way it felt when you were on it. it felt like it was suppose to.

blackisback06
12-07-2005, 02:23 PM
i bout my 450r due to sole reliablitly and comfort now i have a 06 sittin in my barn with less than a tank of gas through and it doesnt run while my buddys yfz is being rode as we speak... who would have thought?

trxHRC450r
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
i work at a dealship and over half of our business is carb cleans. witht the gas they have today with the ethanol, we have been seeing a lot **** quads gunk up if they sit for as little as 2 weeks so when u say that ur quad has less than a tank full run through it, it sounds like u may need a carb clean. the more u use it, the less likely it will not start

simple as that

tcr450r
12-07-2005, 03:16 PM
One of my buddies just bought a yfz about 2 weeks ago and it was running like sh** when he first got it. We thought it was his jetting or maybe fuel mixture but it turns out that all the new plastic in his gastank from the molds and such got sucked into his carb. It runs great now, except he wrecks like every day.

ocoast2005
12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
ihave had friends with both brands that have had problems.
i also had starting problems with my 06, seems battery isn't strong enough or stater darws too much current.
overall i am happy with the honda .with a cam and proper jetting starts easier and runs alot stonger,usual response when you have a bad exprience is i should have bought the other brand.. in all fairness to both companies ,they both make a great product and each have thier own problems.

SAND LUVR
12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
OCOAST2005 thank you for the info. I really appreciate that you did not come on here saying honda rules and yamaha drools. Thank you. I am in the market as well. I want to see the new suzuki as well.

ocoast2005
12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
i was going to wait for the new suzuki also but decided to go with the honda.
i have an 05 z 400 and realy like it excelent trail quad and very user friendly.
i think the ltr 450 is going to give the honda and yammi a good run.
looking at the dimensions of the new zuk i think it'll be closer to yfz as far as fit goes

Shawn H
12-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Cant forget Contingincies...

Honda has them
Yamaha does not

Also a deciding factor for some people>

quad2xtreme
12-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Yammy burned me bad on the 2001 Raptor. The joke was on me at the time but now I just bought a 2006 450r and will be buying another within the next 3 months if this one doesn't give my any fits. Well, maybe Yammy can win me back by 2011.

/Jon

hokes
12-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Good post. It is important to try all posibilities. I wanted the YFZ, and got it. Never tried the 450r, but for all i know, i could have liked it. My brother just got one, but i havent been able to put it to the test yet.

The important thing is that you are riding. We are all going to be biased in one way or another, but as long as it is fun, then that is what its all about.

Rich250RRacer
12-09-2005, 08:06 PM
I am terribly brand loyal, but I can say this, a friend of mine got one of the first '04 YFZ's in the summer of 03. I got the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time on it and was very impressed and actually considered buying one, but I almost felt guilty for even thinking of such a thing. Needless to say, as soon as Honda released pics for the first 450R, I ran to my dealer and gave him a deposit, no sitting on it or test riding first, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. My friend is now on his third YFZ (got his '06 on Aug. 18th) and, while I don't want to start a flame fest, I can say that my '04 450R with only the HRC kit can still hold it's own against it, whether in a friendly drag race or when we're at each others throats in our local harescramble series.

JW450R1
12-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I OWN A 04 450R WITH SOME WORK,AND GOODIES.
IT'S REALLY YOUR OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCE ON HOW U FEEL ON YOUR OWN QUAD.THEY ALL HAVE THERE OWN LITTLE PROBLEMS.I FEEL NOTHING FLYS BETTER THAN A HONDA.THAT'S MY OPINION.MY BUDDY HAS A 05 YFZ,AND ON THE TRACK IT SEEMS
TO FITT ME A LITTLE BETTER ON SOME TRACKS.

trayscool
12-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I rode a YF and a 450r before I got mine and I just liked the 450r better. It feels better when you ride it. My 06 feels even better than the 04 450r I rode before. Plus brand loyalty I had a 400ex before and it never gave me any problems. Out here in Cali you see 10 YFZs for every 1 450r you see and I like being the underdog:D Although I must say when Im done Ill be wrecking some YFZ's in the dunes

NaiLBoMB64
12-10-2005, 08:31 PM
my 05 450R is my frist 4 stroke
and i love it

yfz is nice just not for me

love that red and black

Bigun55
12-11-2005, 08:53 PM
If i was buyin a 450 i would get the R over the YFZ 2. Gotta love the honda

yfz450admirer
12-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I ride my friends 06 yfz on a regular basis. At the Amargosa dunes my 05 450R with a Dr. D pipe will hang right with the stock YFZ. The YFZ has great power, but for someone over 6' tall it just feels cramped. On a motocross track the 450R is definitely a better ride for me. I would really like to ride a YFZ450 with a raised steering stem and with lowered and moved back foot pegs.