PDA

View Full Version : Changing oil --oiltanks suck

ride300exred
06-26-2002, 05:25 PM
What a great thing oil gets a little dirty so hey lets change it can't be too hard right?
WRONG , I was doing my normal oil change , I was loosening the oil tank bolt and the whole bottom of the oil tank came off ? :huh :huh :huh :huh I was like hey this sucks , I have no idea what to do know whether to get it heli arced or just get a new tank , I friggin hate aluminum , It always breaks . They should use titanium :D . Anyone have a oil tank they would like to sell ?
Because um mines boke :mad: :grr
Anyways did this ever happen to anyone you know or what ?

jshtex
06-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Been there done that.... Look in the phone book for someone who can weld aluminum (don't know if the tank is aluminum, but if they can weld that they should be able to weld the tank). Remove the tank and take it to be fixed. Be sure to take the broken part with you. Mine cost me $10 to fix and I am sure it is much stronger now. The only downside that I have seen is that the coating, for lack of a better word, was damaged around the weld and came off in a small section. But $10 vs $100 plus for new!

Good Luck!:cool:

yamaha1470
06-26-2002, 08:55 PM
did u use a torque wrench when u did the changes?

ride300exred
06-26-2002, 09:00 PM
But I just got this quad the got who had it be4 me must have used a impact:mad:

OutlawEX
06-26-2002, 09:28 PM
I never had problems with mine,I always just snug the real sensitive boats like you just exsperienced..I have fun man:blah

Mxbubs
06-27-2002, 10:16 PM
I have heard of tons breaking off. Contact your honda dealer, Honda may have put out a hush hush service bulletin and may provide you with a new one.

RED121572
06-29-2002, 01:43 PM
When I removed my stock oil tank to replace it with a Pingrys, the feed oil line threads on the tank were stripped from the factory. Now the threads are smashed.

Crowdog
06-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Get a Pingry's cooler and it won't happen again.
http://www.crowley-offroad.com/pingry_oil_tank.htm

SLB400EX
06-30-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
I have heard of tons breaking off. Contact your honda dealer, Honda may have put out a hush hush service bulletin and may provide you with a new one.

I wish more people would tell HONDA when the tanks break.
I cracked Rob's last summer and when we complained to Honda, they said they have NEVER heard of those tanks busting. :(