PDA

View Full Version : I need your personal opionons on my dog.

HondaEXrider22
12-07-2005, 04:59 AM
OK I have a 4-5yo mix 50% labrador 50 beagle.
She is a pretty good dog with a cute face. But we are having some trouble with her. We are thinking we really need to get rid of her or put her down. She doesnt listen, barks ALL the time and i mean all the time, doesnt listen to us when we tell her to be quiet. SHe runs off if not watched with a close eye, and goes in our neihgbors yard and eats garbage. Now the worst part is how she growls/snaps at us. We have her box trained And with something bad we tell her to 'Get in the box". This is when she growls/shows her teeth/goes to bite us. Now we are her family, had her since she was a puppy. She doesnt listen and lately its been bad. We chain her outside whenever she needs to go and all she does is eat her own..poop. I try to clean it up often and with snow i cant find it all but she does and all she does it eat it. Then we bring her in and 2 nights ago she peed in the basement and last night she peed in the basement, in our backroom, and crapped in our living room. SHs been all bark, and now my moms friends are coming over and we dont even know what to do. Lock her up somewhere and she barks till her throat is raspy. Keep her with them and theres the possiblity that shell bite tham. It seems she is much more bad then good?

Wow i typed alot but this a tough subject. WHat do you say?

Quad18star
12-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Do you take her out for walks or run her at all ... or is she always tied up and confined to the house??

I've seen a lot of dog that have been tied up for years start to act out .

Our dog growls at us when he doesn't want to be bothered . He barks once in a while also and doesn't listen too well ... but that's part of having a pet .

Maybe change up the dogs diet ... maybe take her out and give her more excercise ... play with her a bit more . Dogs get bored and grumpy also ... and most of the time when they start pissing and crappy around the house , or not obeying orders it's their own way of acting out to try and tell you to change things .

I'd never be able to put down my dog over reasons like yours . About the only way I'd ever put mine down , was if he injured someone or was in pain .

Pets are a responsibily and a learning experience . Go down to the nearest pet store or book store and picked up books that will help you deal with your dog . That's about the best advice I can give you .

jcv400ex
12-07-2005, 06:23 AM
$).28 bullet for dinner.

Quad18star
12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by exboy
kick it. thats what everyone i kno does to there dog. donno if that is a bad thing or not but if my uncles lab acts up he kicks the sh** out of it. and my uncle wears cowboy boots. lol

You don't know if it's a bad thing or not ?? Put it this way ... would you enjoy getting the boot??

Does he ever wonder why the dog acts up?? Maybe it's cuz he's kicking the dog??

It would be nice to be able to see dogs turn around for one day and kick their owners . In my opinion .... people that kick their dogs shouldn't be pet owners . I wonder how many owners would enjoy getting kicked ?? I guess they don't realize that pets feel pain just like we do .

Cdaleracer
12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by exboy
kick it. thats what everyone i kno does to there dog. donno if that is a bad thing or not but if my uncles lab acts up he kicks the sh** out of it. and my uncle wears cowboy boots. lol

What the hell? That kind of comment make me want to kick the **** out of you. And your freaking Uncle. One of these days, mark my words, that dog is going to turn on your Uncle and bite the crap out of him. And you know what, he deserves it for abusing that animal.

You people make me sick!

dirtmomma
12-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
You don't know if it's a bad thing or not ?? Put it this way ... would you enjoy getting the boot??

Does he ever wonder why the dog acts up?? Maybe it's cuz he's kicking the dog??

It would be nice to be able to see dogs turn around for one day and kick their owners . In my opinion .... people that kick their dogs shouldn't be pet owners . I wonder how many owners would enjoy getting kicked ?? I guess they don't realize that pets feel pain just like we do .

NICELY said!!!!!!!! Are you really SERIOUS exboy?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: now wonder your sig say's BOY :grr: :mad: YOU DON'T KICK ANIMALS NO WONDER THEY BITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My oldest brother got in some trouble so he is going away for a few years so my other bro took his dog who is 13 yrs. old someione has been treating him bad now he's a butt but he also has some health issues so unfortunetly we may have to put him down seeing's his age & all :(:(
I have a Chow that is an AZZZZZ but he's still alive LOL, he's a damn good watch dog & loves his family not my prob if he don't like you :)

dirtmomma
12-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Cdaleracer
What the hell? That kind of comment make me want to kick the **** out of you. And your freaking Uncle. One of these days, mark my words, that dog is going to turn on your Uncle and bite the crap out of him. And you know what, he deserves it for abusing that animal.

You people make me sick!

Funny thing is he THINKS it's FUNNY?????????:huh :huh :huh paybacks are a ****** :D

MR.BIG
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Get your dog a bark collar.

Mxjunkie
12-07-2005, 09:42 AM
My puppy does the same stuff, but she was attacked by my neighbors dog when she was a puppy, the lab had my dobie by the neck and wouldnt let go, my neighbor was like I'm not getting bit and stood there. My dad had to run out, punch there dog in the head to make it let go he tryed everything and ever since then my puppy has been defensive.

My dog bites your legs as your walking away from her, she'll hit you running fullbore and take the legs out from under you, goes to bathroom in her cage, takes her choker collar off and hides it, tips over the trashcan and eats our scraps, goes to bathroom on the floor and knows she did wrong because she hides, she bites the leash while you walk her.

shes insane I guess

she also goes in the trash etc its just a puppy stage I guess.

Take a rolled up news paper not too hard, ducktape the ends, it mades a loud crack, but no pain at all to the dog. The noise scares the dog and eventually you will be able to crack it over your leg and when it hears the sound it will stop right away. Its used when breeding dogs, we use to have about 10 dobermans at once, talk about hell :p

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 10:10 AM
It sounds to me like you didn't do a proper job of training her early in life. And now, you're paying the price for being an irresponsible pet owner.

And now, since you've been lazy, it's going to be twice as hard to fix the problem. At this point, you're not just training good habits, you need to UN-TRAIN the bad habits, and replace them with good habits.

And here is where the pessimist in me really shines through. Since you didn't do it in the first place, I really doubt you're willing to do twice the work from here on out. You're probably best off just taking her to the pound, and letting another family adopt her, one that's willing to put forth the work required. And your family should never get another dog again.

Now, I could be way off, there's always the possiblity of a chemical imbalance. But those are fairly rare, so I doubt that's the case.

I know this really wasn't the answer you're looking for, but sometimes the truth isn't pleasant when laid out on the table.

PunkA$$
12-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Try asking the same question on these forums (minus the having him put down part, dog fanatics aren't too keen on that).

http://www.terrificpets.com/

My g/f recently bought a Jack Russell Terrier pup and it's a handful to say the least. They helped her a lot with various problems she's had.

Good Luck!!

MR.BIG
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a jack russel they are great!

BLACKeR
12-07-2005, 11:11 AM
part of it might be the beagle. every beagle ive know has barked at everything, and been a real pain. but i agree with wilkins. i have had a couple dogs, and never had problems with them, because i always disaplined them when they were young. my dogs never doubted who was the boss. now your dogs older and it thinks its the "alpha" dog. so its pissing to mark its territory and snapping at you because your an "intruder" people think its bad to punish a puppy or somethign, but if they dont you end up with a bad dog. in all reality there is probly little chance you can get the dog to change much. and if its snapping at people its a problem, if for no other reason it could be a financial liability. you could try starting all over again with training it, might work. or you could always just try kicking the crap out of it, LMAO:D

bwamos
12-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It sounds to me like you didn't do a proper job of training her early in life. And now, you're paying the price for being an irresponsible pet owner.

And now, since you've been lazy, it's going to be twice as hard to fix the problem. At this point, you're not just training good habits, you need to UN-TRAIN the bad habits, and replace them with good habits.

And here is where the pessimist in me really shines through. Since you didn't do it in the first place, I really doubt you're willing to do twice the work from here on out. You're probably best off just taking her to the pound, and letting another family adopt her, one that's willing to put forth the work required. And your family should never get another dog again.

Now, I could be way off, there's always the possiblity of a chemical imbalance. But those are fairly rare, so I doubt that's the case.

I know this really wasn't the answer you're looking for, but sometimes the truth isn't pleasant when laid out on the table.

Agree bro.

The first 6 months you own that dog are VERY important. The dog needs to know who is boss. If you're not the boss.. guess what... he/she is. I've never had to do more than give a light swat on the fanny of my dogs. About as hard as you would lightly swat a 6 month old babys hand, no way it could even hurt, just for consistency so they know they did the wrong thing. In fact you'd be rougher with them when playing.

Most of the effect will come from "tone-of-voice". In fact I only have to give my dogs the "look" and they will loose bladder control. They know I'm pissed, and they don't like it.

Reward good behavior. Let them know when they are bad.. and be consistent. If you get after the dog and he/he shows her teeth or snaps at you. Grab it by the throat, put it on it's back and hold it there until it submits, may take 5-10 minutes. (Do not hurt it, it's all about control). This is how the leader of the "pack" would handle the situation. Dogs are pack animals. If it lunges at you after you do let it go, do it again. You may get bit a few times, before this sinks in. DO NOT LOOSE YOUR TEMPER. It's all about control. It may take weeks before the dog will submit at this point. As a puppy it only take 1 time.. but you have a lot of work. You're dealing with a delinquent teenager. Good luck.

My reccomendation would be to take the dog to dicipline training classes. Real ones, not the ones at PetsMart.

stiffy
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Sounds like the dog needs a lot of exercise and something to do. I have Jack Russells too. The Brown one is 6 and the Black one is 5 and they are still just as active as the day I brought them home but if I don't play with them really good or take them for a walk everyday they will act out

stiffy
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Bailey

exboy
12-07-2005, 02:13 PM
my bad. i stand corrected. sorry about my sig saw it on the back of a shirt and thought it was funney cus i hunt. ive never kicked a dog truth is i havent had a dog scince i was like 8. my uncles lab now is the best dog ive ever seen but when he was a puppy yeah he was bad but i know a guy and redlineranger knows him too he is reall big into breading and training labs and he does hit his dogs....not sayin thats the right thing or nothin but from what ive seen it works. and im not sayin kyle agrees with it either im just sayin he knows the guy. ive always heard ppl say u gotta get the puppy out of labs or theyll always be bad. i wasnt laughin at my uncle kickin his dog im laughin at his big redneck a** runnin the dog down in his cowboy boots. i dont believe in abusing dogs or anything but ppl say they are just like humans and ppl punish there kids or other ppl when they do wrong. sorry about my post ill go back and delete it i dont want every one on the sight to think im a dyck head so im sorry.

400exchick
12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
^^^It's a good thing he doesn't raise rottweilers or pitbulls! I have 2 Alaskan malamutes and for those of you who know the breed they are stubborn as heck. They have the strength to pull me no matter how hard I try to hold them back (that's what they're bred for) but I can still flip them on their back if they're misbehaving without worrying about getting bit. They've never growled/snarled at me. God help them if they ever do.

Back to original question. Have you tried dog obedience classes?? I know it seems dorky, but it works. Devote lots of time for training and playing with him. Chances are he'll come around eventually.