PDA

View Full Version : Computer Meltdown

Dan_Guetter
12-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Have you ever have the problem of your computer just freezing and will not start up....and you get paranoid that you lost 4 years of work...so you start going crazy and want to put a bullet in your head?

I want to know if anyone else has ever experienced this?

:mad:

FreekShow
12-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Nope but it always finds a way to freeze when my Counter-Strike clan and myself are in a major scrimmage and we lose because of it.:mad: :mad:

FHKracingZ
12-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Thats gonna get built-up to big on a flash drive. Derek , just take out your hard drive and put it in another computer....

thomps6s
12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Thats gonna get built-up to big on a flash drive. Derek , just take out your hard drive and put it in another computer....

A USB harddrive is much different than a flash drive. A USB harddrive is basically and external harddrive that connects via USB cable. You can get them in sizes over 200 gigabytes.

Atkins
12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Yea Dan, youre career is on those comps, I would definitely back everything you got onto an external harddrive, if you can.

Ankh-Racing
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
To prevent it from always freezing you can up the RAM and or the Memory. Also a bigger CPU is also good to handle the extra load of work.

SGA
12-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I burn my important stuff to a cd or dvd about every 3 months or so.
I keep everything in "My Documents" and its subfolders so its easy to backup.

Ask any computer knowlegeable person what the most important thing to do with a computer and they will say BACKUP ON A REGULAR BASIS.

If your computer will not start, try putting your non starting hard drive as a secondary hard drive on another computer with Win XP. The computer will start on the first hard drive, then you can go and get the info off of the second hard drive and transfer it to the first.

Worst case, there are companys that do data retrieval off of hard drives that go bad.

theTman
12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
:eek: as long as you didnt loose any akraix movie on that pc

12-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SGA

Worst case, there are companys that do data retrieval off of hard drives that go bad. isn'/t that REALLY expensive?

ZeroLogic
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by FreekShow
Nope but it always finds a way to freeze when my Counter-Strike clan and myself are in a major scrimmage and we lose because of it.:mad: :mad:

you play cs to!:eek2:

ballisticpb
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
isn'/t that REALLY expensive?

depends on the drive.... how bad it is.. if it was just a motor failure or what.. and size of the drive.... i have sent them in for as little as $250 and i just got quoted for one that leaves tommrrow for $2300 the true question is what is your data worth to you.... no one can stress the backup enough...

and on the system locking up... i would first check ram, if tests clean. replace the power supply.

QuadR8cer12
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
check to see if your fan went out on the computer.

I had one do the same thing, it heats up because the fan has gone out or is not working as good as it should, then it freezes and you try and restart it and it shuts off. then it wont turn back on. I had to let it sit turned off for a day then it would turn back on. I took the cover off the box and blew all the dust off with compressed air, the fan was really clogged with dust. Then it started back up fine and is still running on the same fan that is going out. I also left the cover off the box so that the computer can stay cooler without that fan working like it should until I replace it.

zeppelin
12-07-2005, 04:48 PM
download a few good programs to fix the registry, like registry mechanic, or pcbugdoctor (you will need a serial # for the last one though) you probably didnt know your comp has abot 150 errors on it right know (just my guess) run those a few times and you will get far less bsods (blue screens of death)

MOFO
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
If your really worried about losing data, you should take your hard drive and install it into another PC now - do not boot from this drive, just use it as a "2nd" drive....then attempt to pull your valuable data off..... before it completely takes a crap.

I've done this for several people.... in most cases it works. Try this before you run any utilities on it.... trust me!

Honda TRX250ex
12-07-2005, 07:01 PM
haha thats what happend to my clan leader and we got pissed at him

Ralph
12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
If your really worried about losing data, you should take your hard drive and install it into another PC now - do not boot from this drive, just use it as a "2nd" drive....then attempt to pull your valuable data off..... before it completely takes a crap.

I've done this for several people.... in most cases it works. Try this before you run any utilities on it.... trust me!

I doubt ur hdd is what is broke so you data should be 100% fine.

FreekShow
12-16-2005, 05:27 AM
well join up our pub server sometime.

66.55.137.212:27015

im T3AM ECLIPS3 | ImPeRiUm

if you got xfire my sn is teimperium

SGA
12-16-2005, 07:24 AM
So what happened? Did you get it going?

DVS_Freestyler
12-16-2005, 10:40 AM
well join up our pub server sometime.

66.55.137.212:27015

im T3AM ECLIPS3 | ImPeRiUm

if you got xfire my sn is teimperium

haha that is sweet we play counter strike all the time!! were always in cs_ratz room.

D

Honda TRX250ex
12-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DVS_Freestyler
haha that is sweet we play counter strike all the time!! were always in cs_ratz room.

D
my old clan that i left use to play ratz all the time

SRH
12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
just do what i did, mine started buzzin the other day when i turned it on so i looked it up and down and im like , listen u mother ****er, i can replace u and i punched it , and it stopped buzzin, try that

Honda TRX250ex
12-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SRH
just do what i did, mine started buzzin the other day when i turned it on so i looked it up and down and im like , listen u mother ****er, i can replace u and i punched it , and it stopped buzzin, try that
rofl thats great
i ussaly kick it really hard when it laggs than it stops but i have a huge dent on the case

SGA
01-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Dont you just hate when people ask for help and then you never learned if the problem was resolved? (Thats tongue in cheek Dan);)
So,what happened, did you get it all fixed?

JLanphear
01-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by SRH

good call...i used to have to beat the hell out of my work computer every morning because the processor and power supply fans were shot and would buzz like a mofo.

Dan, you need a secondary hard drive to store all your crap on either way. Don't keep it on the same drive as your OS is on. They are so cheap nowadays.

And something simple like an external (or even another internal) would work alright for backups.

Otherwise if you like to spend money you can get a tape drive or there is this nifty little setup called RAID 5...hehe.

FourFiftyFour
01-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by SRH

what would i do without these kind of answers from Bill.........heh....love it........ Ive done it a time or two with the computer, phone, and even my trucks dash when it rattles. Works everytime! :D

mole97
01-05-2006, 03:02 AM
what would chuck norris do?:D roundhouse house it!!!!!

8my_Cash
01-05-2006, 12:16 PM
lol i lvoe when computer do that just think you never loose you work because you can just pull that hard drive out and pop it in another machine and continue that 4 years of work. :)

btw cs is awesome

Dan_Guetter
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Yea its fixxed

I have 5 external 250 gig drives....

2 for my work, and the other 3 for movie files....

CS rocks btw

8my_Cash
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
we gotta play some cs some time and 5 250gigs is alot of hard drive space damn.

Honda TRX250ex
01-06-2006, 07:42 PM
i just got done playing cs
awp_map :cool: