PDA

View Full Version : So how many pounds R they?

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Just wondering if you guys have had your R's on a scale recently?

I got into a bit of a "discussion" with a yfz owner on power to weight ratio and was wondering what you fellas have found?

JTRtrx250r
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
stock is 328 dry

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
yeah, I've seen that number before. I was hopeing to get some real #'s of a raced out R.

JTRtrx250r
12-06-2005, 11:08 PM
depending on what parts it has, its definitly gonna be more... w/ nerfs, susp/res's, beadlocks etc

for racing, most dont run but a 1/2 tank at most (mostly mx). I'd say it varies , an XC unit would be the heaviest, probably around 350-365 lbs would be my rough guess:confused:

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Not necessarily, it depends on which way you go. Get an aftermarket frame, some titanium parts, some aluminum parts, and eliminate some items you don't need (like the toolbox), you can actually shave weight.

I bet it's possible to maintain all the strength of stock, add some nerfs, and still hit less than the stock weight. If memory serves, I believe the Arens frame is stronger than stock, yet weighs 10lbs less, aftermarket plastics generally weigh less, ect ect. Shocks are about the same, I think the only thing that weighs MORE is the wheels and the swinger, and any add-ons like nerfs and steering damper.

JTRtrx250r
12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
All I can tell ya is dual beadlocks are HEAVY. W/ those , nerfs, shocks w/ resi's, skids etc.. My R definitly added a few lbs

ppl seem to forget all the little add-on goodies add weight!:D

Ive heard lotsa good things about the Arens frames, they're basically stock frame copies but built alot better than the OEM

We had the Arens guys on Rriders and I still admire them alot!!.... more than most Co's.

They seemed like real good guys, and were pretty truthful and didnt hesitate to answer any Q's about there stuff, what I liked the most was the honesty w/ them

I want a Laegers frame myself, but wouldn't mind a Arens either...

350ROOST
12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
thats some good points you guys bring up. I was thinking that a race setup would only add a few lbs. because all the things that are taken off.

The thing about the wheels is that the stock ones were very strong, and they are heavy, Iwould'nt be suprised if they way the same as a set of high-end beadlocks.

I am thinking that my quad, which is basically set up for sand, is closer to 300lbs.
what do you think, light weight thin wall wheels all around with sand tires, no airbox, fullbore race cut plastics. I bet that I saved about 15lbs just in the tires.

I am dying to get this thing on a scale, its just hard to find one big enough, or someone with a corener weight set up.

250r4life
12-07-2005, 10:51 AM
i'm not sure what you're talking about saying the stock wheels are heavy. i have holeshots on .190 rims the same size as the stockers, and the holeshots are way way way heavier. also, up front my holeshots are way heavier than the stock rims and tires... in fact, i have sandstar fronts and those are .5 lbs lighter than my stock fronts... also, i imagine most of you bought your Rs with an aftermarket pipe already on them. the stock pipe and silencer is pretty dang heavy, and i know you shave weight by throwing on an aftermarket one. i would be very surprised for your bike to be around 300, thats a 22% increase over stock. don't think so buddy. 72 lbs is a lot of crap to bolt on...

mxracer97
12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
When I got my Arens frame I compared the weight of it to my '86 frame and they were nearly identical(within a pound or so). If memory serves, I believe they were in the 35-40 lb range(not 100% sure on that). I just used a bathroom scale to measure the weight of the frames so the numbers may not be that accurate.

350ROOST
12-07-2005, 06:49 PM
250rforlife, dude I don't know if you have Deficiencies in math, can't read, or if your just smoken crack. So let me help you out a little:

1. By saying that my bike is 300lbs I am saying that I shaved 28lbs which is a 8.5% DECREASE in weight. Not a 22% increase.

2. You did get one calculation right, 72lbs is 22% of 328lbs, but unfortunatly, NOT ONCE did anyone say they put on 72lbs.

3. JTR did say that some of the heavier xc/woods setups can get up to 350-365lbs, which would be a 6.7 - 11.2% increase over a stock setup. JTR is one of the most knowledgable guys on this forum so give him some friggen credit.

3. Another thing you did say correctly is that 72lbs is a lot to bolt on, that is probably the only correct thing you did state in your hole post. However, once again, your statement makes no sense and no one ever said they put on 72lbs. because 72+328=400lbs and no one has a 400lb R.

4. So please for your sake and the rest of us, keep your misconceptions to yourself, and you might sound inteligent.

rebelbanshee
12-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I remember some old Dirtwheels articles had some specs for a bunch of pro quads (250rs) they were all right around 350. So about 20lbs of extra stuff over stock CLAIMED dry weight. The new 4 strokes are CLAIMED 350ish dry. so they have to be at least 370.

250r4life
12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
hey 350rroost, you can go ahead and lick my nut sack ok joto. and youre a little light in the jock to talk to me like that buddy. you don't wanna have an intelligence contest with me- i promise you you'll lose. simple explanantion, if you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd see that by skimming over your post for some reason i took it as 400 and not 300. i didnt say anything contrary to JTR so i dont know why you told me to give him credit, you can still lick my nuts by the way. and again i don't know how youre gunna try to play me telling me to shut up to sound intelligent. ive read a lot of stupid stuff you've posted. in fact, just ealier today with the clutch problem, youre so freaking stupid that you didnt know your basket was chewed up and it took somebody saying they had the same problem for it to cross your mind. obviously you don't know too much about bikes

JTRtrx250r
12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Easy G's, its just a topic , dont take things personal on these forums, their here for our opinions and debates and to learn, ya gotta try and respect each's thoughts /opinions whether agree'd w/ or not

350roost... thanks for the compliment bro;) I try to be helpful if at all possible, but definitly not a know-it-all, still learnin' daily myself, thats what we're all here for:D

I figured w/ skids, tank, beafy wheels/tires, shocks, nerfs, dampners etc, a quad can gain lbs fast, not to mention all the debri they collect, especially in the woods/mud

Wilk's got a good point about it too, a mx'er w/ all the goodies would be heavier than a sand drag quad natrally, but w/ trick light weight parts, it could be built to shed a few lbs

all I know is I have a stock 86 frame, and w/ nerfs, skids, suspension etc... she definitly got harder to load and gained a few extra lbs

I was thinking about going down to this place that scraps metals and see if they'd let me roll up on the scale to get an idea:D

250r4life
12-07-2005, 11:25 PM
sorry but thats the 2nd time that joto has called me out and insulted me for nothing.. i did nothing to insult him or downgrade him, and he's gotta openly say stupid **** to me. he's from CA, i'd love to see him down at glamis to kick his ***

350ROOST
12-07-2005, 11:27 PM
250r4life,
I'm sorry if you cant read:

for some reason i took it as 400 and not 300
I know how those 4's and 3's can get confusing.
You even typed in your first post:

i would be very surprised for your bike to be around 300

Dont make promises you cant keep, I'll make you a liar.

you don't wanna have an intelligence contest with me- i promise you you'll lose.

Intelligence and knowledge are two compleatly different things.
You might be right, I might not know too much about bikes.

youre so freaking stupid that you didnt know your basket was chewed up and it took somebody saying they had the same problem for it to cross your mind. obviously you don't know too much about bikes
At least I can read and add
joto

damn I'm late

350ROOST
12-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey man, I'm not the one who started saying stupid $hit.

I will say that calling you unintelligent was wrong.

250r4life
12-07-2005, 11:52 PM
first off i want to apologize to everybody besides 350roost for having to see this crap...
2nd, how do you figure you didnt start saying stupid crap? you used your gay "keep your misconceptions to yourself, and you might sound inteligent." a week ago week ago when i suggested it would be a good idea to break your bike in somewhere besides the sand dunes. i went ahead and ignored that one.

just for the record, everybody else, would you not agree that the sand dunes are not the best place to break your bike in?

so you go and say that then for no reason, which the fact that you repeated it again here just makes you look like even more of an idiot. let me guess you heard that once and wrote it down, so like to use it now. congrats... do you even know what the word misconception means?

then you go off directly attacking me on this weight post, saying that my whole post was nonsense, when in fact the only thing that was off was for some strange reason i was thinking 400. doesnt make a lot of sense i know, but... i'm not the 1st person to misread somn on here.

and yes, knowledge and intelligence are 2 different things, and i'll smoke you in both. in knowledge about bikes i'll smoke you, and in intelligence (being able to grasp things and learn easily) i will smoke you as well. trust me ive got the degrees and transcripts to prove it. i speak 3 languages as well buddy, if you'd like i can tell you what i think of you in the other 2 as well.

350ROOST
12-08-2005, 12:58 AM
250r4life
I do know what misconception means, and I used it properly in my sentence.
You made an over generalized statement about motor breakin at the sand, and that is a misconception.
For the record, I never said that the dunes are the best place to break in a motor. I am sure there are many other places that would be much better, never the less, I have broken in many motors at the sand and have not had any problems.
I'm sorry but when people over generalize they tend to sound ignorant.
Now I am not saying you are ignorant, I am sure you are not, but that is how you came across to me.
so I do apologize for implying that you are not intelligent.

Lets just Drop this $hit!!!

I hope someone had fun reading this thread. lol