PDA

View Full Version : Does a Cam or Big Bore Void Warranty?

04TRX400EX
12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm not real sure where to put this but it's engine-related so I thought I would post it here:

Does installing a cam or big bore kit void Honda's manufacturer warranty? I'm thinking it does but thought that maybe if a Honda dealer installed them it would be "professional" and then not void the warranty. Anyone know?

ZeroLogic
12-06-2005, 07:52 PM
a big bore probely dose but a cam you could get away with if you wanted to use the warrenty just put the stock cam back in

400ex100
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
it would definantly void handa warranty even if it was put together by a pro

Honda#4
12-06-2005, 08:10 PM
yep unless it is the hrc kit but thats the r though.

04TRX400EX
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I kind of figured that it would. Now I know that I can't play with the motor internally cause I have the extended warranty and don't want to make it useless. That sucks. I have to think of other ways to get more power apparently. Any suggestions?

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I have to think of other ways to get more power apparently. Any suggestions?

But that's the whole point of the warrenty. They guarentee their motors to last for so long at the power output of the stock engine. If you start increasing power, they can no longer guarentee the strength of the motor.

bwamos
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Even adjusting your jetting voids the warranty.

Do pipe, filter, drop-in cam, rejet. Keep origional parts, pay special attention to what the stock settings were. Document them.

Your current list of mods have already voided the warranty. ;)

If you have issues.. put it back to 100% stock. ;) 99.9% chance you will have no issues though.

deathman53
12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
my local honda dealer told me,if a authorized honda dealer, or autheroized shop installs the parts, it is still under warranty(but if they find the smallest thing wrong, its voided). Also overbores are allowed, but you have to use stock compression oem pistons and rings and gaskets, the only cam you can use is a honda cam(xr400 cams apply). You can't advance the timing, lighten the flywheel, port/polish. I know guys with 450r's that busted frames and they had aftermarket a-arms, shocks, steering stems, swingarms, etc, but the frame was still under warranty. In general, if it involves internal engine work that increases the performance of the motor, unless it uses honda hop-up parts, it is voided warrantly. I know a guy that had his top end of his 400ex rebuilt by honda, someone screwed something, blew the top end, honda covered a rebuild(again),next someone at honda bored the cylinder wrong(again and messed up the motor), he got another rebuild from honda, this time they did it right, but the point is now he has a 416 or 426, but it is still under warranty since he is using a oem piston and a authorized dealer did the work, even though they screwed it up 2 times. You have to talk to the service manager of the dealer, some like my local honda dealer are more giving on mods, but internal engine mods are a automatic viodance. I went through the whole thing with my xr250r and decided to go full engine tilt and consider the 3 year warranly I paid for a waste of money. I will never again buy a warranty.