PDA

View Full Version : What will happen?

Eddiesanders250
12-06-2005, 07:27 PM
My cousin is getting an ESR 330 kit. I talked to him about it and he plans to just bolt it on the stock bottom end. I think this 330 will absolutley destroy the stock bottom end, especially since this motor will be putting out twice the HP of his stock one. My question is how long do you think this will last and what would be the first thing that goes wrong?

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
what do you mean by stock bottom end? Has it just never been touched since stock?

Both of my 350's have "stock" bottom ends with exception of the "stock" off-set crank and I have had no problems for almost five years now, and I really run the crap out of them. However I did have the bottom-end looked at by CT when they put the them together, I think they only replaced the main bearings and put a new kevlar clutch in it.

Now I think it all depends on the quads history, was it hammerd on its hole life, or was it taken care of properly? If it was taken care of there should be no problems, except for the clutch, that should probly be replaced with a newer one designed for more H.P.

anyways just my 2 cents.

250r4life
12-06-2005, 08:58 PM
i hate to tell ya but the 330 requires you to machine the cases, you cant just bolt it on.

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 09:00 PM
good point!!

EddieSanders, I think your talking about the 310 kit.

Eddiesanders250
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
haha its not my head..... Thats exactly what i was saying to him. He said he called ESR and they said no need to machine cases. I was like wtf? Dont know what hes talking about. and yes by stcok bottom end i mean nobody has ever touched this bottom end. nothing has been replaced or ne thing.

Burnt12
12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
yes ESR does make a 330 bolt on kit my buddy used to have one

beerock
12-06-2005, 09:26 PM
there are 2 versions of the 330 the machined case model and the non machined case, but there is a thinner sleeve used im not sure how many bores but its not many, I think 1 over bore. not sure. the machined case setup has a thicker sleeve and has 3 bores.

if you but a 330 that does not require maching on a crank that your not sure how many hours it has thats a gamble. sure plenty of people do it. ME, I would protect my investment and have a new crank to go with that set up. if the old crank blows bad it could take out the sleeve on your new top end. in my eyes, not worth it.

I would get 330 that requires machining.if its already bought then buy a new crank, main bearings and seals and start off right.

up to you.

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Tell your buddy that if he wants the thing to last, it should be looked through just to make sure that there is nothing on the verg of a major problem. This includes the gearbox, It only takes one bad gear pair to crack your case, and then its game over.

Eddiesanders250
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Thats what i told him, if the crank goes it could mess up the cylinder then what. The new head that was just bought is already jacked up because he didnt do it right the first time. I think he should of got the one that requires case machining and that way he would of had to send the cases in while they're in there they would go thru the motor. But its not my motor and he wont listen to me. haha whatever well see what happens

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
keep us posted!

Eddiesanders250
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
hes getting it for christmas and were going to the coast somewhere around new years. so ill let you guys know how it rides. Im sure the first weekend it will be fine. Ill keep you posted

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Funny. People trying to save money generally end up costing themselves more in the long run. Sure, he's saving money by buying the "bolt-on" kit. That way, he doesn't have to split the cases to get them machined.

However, as you suspect, it's entirely possible to break something. At that point, he has a major repair to deal with, certainly needing a new piston and possibly using his 1 available overbore, maybe replace a case half, some gears, ect ect. All to save a few bucks on the initial install.

250r4life
12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
that is one thing i have leanred with several bikes i've had- dont be cheap with bikes or it'll end up costing you. ive tried to pass that on to my brother, but he hasnt seemed to figure that out yet... if you take good care of them, they will take good care of you. like wilkin said, being cheap only ends up costing you more money.
2nd thing, is if he gets this kit for christmas, and is going to the dunes (i'm assuming by going to the coast) for new years, that means he has a couple days to build it. what about some break in time, man, who needs that? paddles and sand are great to break in a bike. put it together, start it right up and go balls to the wall with all that sand drag- don't even need to let it warm up... :D its gotta be great for a bike

Eddiesanders250
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Ya exactly who needs to break it in? Break it in how you would usually ride, Never letting off. If I saw him do something like that id jump off my R and punch him in the face for being so stupid!! :D Like everybody has said it not gonna be running strong for long. It may run good now but once hes putting out twice the ponnies probably wont last too long. We'll see, Ill keep you guys posted