View Full Version : K&N Air filter mod

fasterz
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
The K&N air filters sucks for the 450r, they mount with a tab and it tends to break ALOT, making the filter useless. The 400ex filter works SOO much better what you need to do it put it in so the tube slides into the air box tube and then clamp it in there, ill try to get pics when i come home for winter break but this works the best, i ran it like this all season and never had a problem while others were breaking those tabs

shamisc
12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
No offense, but K&N filters for quads SUCK PERIOD!!! They let WAY TOO MUCH dirt in!! Go get you a UNI or TwinAir. I lost 2 400ex motors due to K&N sucking dirt. I clean my filter after EVERY ride also! Personally, I run the stock filter b/c it has the backfire screen in it. My brother's 450R caught on fire when it backfired with a Sparks filter while trying to start it. It only had about 2 hours on it! Luckily I had an extinguisher near by so it only burned the filter and lid. There's only like .03 HP difference between the stock filter and the K&N on the dyno, so I see no need to ruin my engine for that little of gain!