PDA

View Full Version : Question about Exhaust

CaptainCanuck
12-06-2005, 03:06 PM
My car is going to the shop on Thursday to get some new exhaust installed. I didn't want to go with the whole fartcan set up so I went a little different of a route. I bought dual Red Hots mufflers (straight) along with dual exhaust tips (each outlet spout it about 2 inches). So, my car has dual exhaust, along with dual tips:

( ) ( )_____________________( ) ( )

Does anyone know how it will sound? I did a lot of research on the net about the Red Hots but I really found nothing that answered my question. Will the tips affect the sound? And how much of an increase of power should I see? My uncle is the mechanic who is installing them and he says that it should be loud but he wasn't too sure. Anyone have any input?

It is a 96 Sunfire GT (stock besides a fram airhog airfilter).

CaptainCanuck
12-06-2005, 06:13 PM
bump...anyone?

Honda4trax250x
12-06-2005, 09:18 PM
sadly when going for sound you are better off with one pipe on such a small motor

but you gotta love the way duals look

Toadz400
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Yea, no matter what it's going to have that 4-cylinder sound to it whenever you pipe it.

I was looking into pipes for my Sonoma (2.2L 4cyl 5-spd) just to give a little extra power until I got the V8 in there but I decided not to after I read up on all the exhausts and they all came out to still sounding a bit rice-ish.

CaptainCanuck
12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I actually like the sound of piped 4 bangers. I guess I like rice ahaha. As for duals, my car already had them equipped because sunfire gts come stock with dual exhaust.

But will having duals produce a louder tone than a single pipe?

red2004 TRX450R
12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CaptainCanuck
I actually like the sound of piped 4 bangers. I guess I like rice ahaha. As for duals, my car already had them equipped because sunfire gts come stock with dual exhaust.

But will having duals produce a louder tone than a single pipe?

you are did not come stock with dual exhaust!!! it has dual out lets coming out of the muffler!!!

I dont know what RED HOTS are but i could gess that they are like cherry bombs! so it will sound like a 2.2 with cherry bombs on it!!

underpowered
12-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know how it will sound? I did a lot of research on the net about the Red Hots but I really found nothing that answered my question. Will the tips affect the sound? And how much of an increase of power should I see? My uncle is the mechanic who is installing them and he says that it should be loud but he wasn't too sure. Anyone have any input?

it is hard to make a 4 banger sound good. but just some tips. to get teh rice sound, you need a very small pipe dumped into a much larger pipe. this causes the sound to resonate giving it taht rice sound. on V-8's, this creates a so called Pipey sound, what camaros are know for. THe tips will give it a different tone depending on how large they are and how long they are. I dont know much about exhaust on the little motors, but on a larger one a longer tip will give you a deeper tone if the tip is larger than the actual pipe. also how the exhaust is routed under the car will make a difference i the sound. you can change the entire sound of a car by doing changing the route or length of the pipes. believe it or not, my truck is louder with my flow 40 than it was straight piped.

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
you are did not come stock with dual exhaust!!! it has dual out lets coming out of the muffler!!!

I dont know what RED HOTS are but i could gess that they are like cherry bombs! so it will sound like a 2.2 with cherry bombs on it!!

No, there are two mufflers and i have dual exhaust (and the tips i got are also dual).

Thanks guys for the input. I'll let you all know how it turns out tommorow.

As for as cherry bombs go, i think they are similar the red hots (just a different name basically). What does a 2.2 sound like with cherries?

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Here are the pics of the tips:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid195/p8afb9e154b489f78d7e497e1e000cffa/f1263030.jpg

And the specs on the mufflers
http://www.holley.com/data/types/pictures/Red%20Hot%20Graphic.jpg

Hopefully this helps

Toadz400
12-07-2005, 08:37 PM
What size of pipe are you using? If you go too big you're going to lose power with that little 4 cylinder.

Also, what red2004 was saying is that your car did not come stock with the true dual exhaust. If anything it probably had just a dual outlet from a single muffler.

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Nope. It came with true dual exhaust (two mufflers). What pipe are you refering to? The muffler is 2-2.5 inch (i cant remember which) and the actual tips are both about 2 inches per spout. My old tips were about 6 inches in length as they were rectangular/oval shaped.

2004exrider
12-07-2005, 08:56 PM
I ran cat back duals off my f150 and had cherrybombs on and it was still quiet. So im gonna imagine that yours isnt going to be that loud but will have a deeper tone to it. I ended up taking them off and just running straights.

Jimmy

Toadz400
12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Nope. It came with true dual exhaust (two mufflers). What pipe are you refering to? The muffler is 2-2.5 inch (i cant remember which) and the actual tips are both about 2 inches per spout. My old tips were about 6 inches in length as they were rectangular/oval shaped.

Can you post pics of the stock exhaust system? Or else can someone else verify this, because I'm having a hard time believing that the Sunfire GT comes stock with a true dual exhaust...a lot of higher performance cars don't even have true dual exhaust.

As for the exhaust sizing, I think 2.5" might be getting a little too big, unless you really like the sound of a ricer and the loss in power.

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Sorry, I cant get pics because its dark outside right now but trust me, my car has true dual exhaust. If i remember correctly, the muffler was between 2" (leaning more towards) and 2 1/4".

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
http://www.gmcanada.com/images/vehicles/2005/pontiac/sunfire/pont_sunf_mode_main.jpg

Heres a newer model sunfire gt and you can see the dual exhaust. Though it doesnt prove that it is a true dual exhaust by showing that it runs off two muffler, it kinda helps. I will prove it to you when I get my car back tommorow evening.

PWM_330EX
12-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Can you post pics of the stock exhaust system? Or else can someone else verify this, because I'm having a hard time believing that the Sunfire GT comes stock with a true dual exhaust...a lot of higher performance cars don't even have true dual exhaust.

As for the exhaust sizing, I think 2.5" might be getting a little too big, unless you really like the sound of a ricer and the loss in power.

A sunfire doesn't have true dual exhaust. It's a 4 banger so you've got one exhaust manifold that goes to a single pipe that goes to the cat that goes to a single pipe that splits to 2 mufflers.

True duals are really only possible on a v-8 or v-6 where you have 2 exhaust maninfolds with independent "plumbing" for each manifold...

Toadz400
12-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by PWM_330EX
A sunfire doesn't have true dual exhaust. It's a 4 banger so you've got one exhaust manifold that goes to a single pipe that goes to the cat that goes to a single pipe that splits to 2 mufflers.

True duals are really only possible on a v-8 or v-6 where you have 2 exhaust maninfolds with independent "plumbing" for each manifold...

Thank you:D . Haha, I can believe that it has dual exhaust (splitting off of one pipe coming from the engine) but not TRUE dual which means there are two exhaust manifolds and no point in which they connect.

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 07:59 AM
That shows how mechanically inclined i am. :eek: Well i'm taking it to the shop right now so i'll keep you updated as to how it turns out.

PWM_330EX
12-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Thank you:D . Haha, I can believe that it has dual exhaust (splitting off of one pipe coming from the engine) but not TRUE dual which means there are two exhaust manifolds and no point in which they connect.

They are usually connected downline by an H or X pipe -- I think for scavenging or to "balance" the exhaust

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 08:45 AM
If I have two mufflers compared to one, which would be louder? the dual or the single? thanks.

PWM_330EX
12-08-2005, 08:59 AM
If I have two mufflers compared to one, which would be louder? the dual or the single? thanks.

Everything else being equal, I think a single will be louder.

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 09:52 AM
why's that? I always figured that if you have 2, the sound would be multiplied. But again, i dont know much about this stuff.

Toadz400
12-08-2005, 10:39 AM
why's that? I always figured that if you have 2, the sound would be multiplied. But again, i dont know much about this stuff.

With your 4 cylinder, it'll probably be quieter with the dual exhaust compared to a huge single exhaust (which I see way too much around here...).

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 11:15 AM
that was the reason why i didnt put a fartcan on. I dont like how low they hang (and on my car, because of the way the rear bumper is made to accomodate for the exhaust, it wouldnt fit very good). I'm just hoping i get the sound i'm looking for (which is loud and deep). I guess i'll have to see when it gets home tonight. Thanks for all your help fellas.

Toadz400
12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
It should sound deep with the dual exhaust, but if you want a less ricy sound to it, I would go with smaller piping, also smaller piping would help a lot with that car because of the small displacement. Remember, bigger is not always better. If it doesn't have enough power to push that exhaust through that much space, especially when you double it (duals) you're going to lose power.

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I talked to my uncle (the mechanic who is doing the work for me) said that the muffler size that I went with was 2" (the smallest size that the redhots came in). So it should put out decent power along with sound.

Toadz400
12-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by PWM_330EX
They are usually connected downline by an H or X pipe -- I think for scavenging or to "balance" the exhaust

I don't believe all of them are connected, but what you're talking about does make sense. It's kind of like the boost bottle idea for a Banshee going over the intake to balance out what's going in. This is balancing what's going out.

12-09-2005, 04:16 PM
how big of a difference in sound would it make if he cut off the catalytic converter?

Toadz400
12-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Shift_400EX
how big of a difference in sound would it make if he cut off the catalytic converter?

Usually cutting out the catalytic converter makes quite a difference in sound.

red2004 TRX450R
12-12-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't believe all of them are connected, but what you're talking about does make sense. It's kind of like the boost bottle idea for a Banshee going over the intake to balance out what's going in. This is balancing what's going out.

DONT POST STUFF YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT - - - :devious:

Toadz400
12-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
DONT POST STUFF YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT - - - :devious:

What? Not all dual exhausts are connected...In fact, I haven't seen any in person around here that are. At least when I'm talking about true duals, I really mean straight true duals. So do you know what you're talking about?:confused: