PDA

View Full Version : Proper Ebay Ettiquette?

derekhonda
12-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a question.

I recently purchased something from ebay using the buy it now function. I then paid via paypal within minutes.

Shouldn't I receive positive feedback?

I have someone holding my ebay feedback at hostage because they know I am not satisfied. They then proceeded to tell me it is proper ebay etiquette for the buyer to leave feedback before the seller does.

I just want to know what the answer is, cause it seems like to me if I (as the buyer) did everything right...I should have had positive feedback before the item was even shipped.

12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Seller leaves feedback after the item is purchased, buyer leaves feedback after he receives the item. Thats how it works.

300exOH
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure what proper etiquette is for eBay but I have had some wait until after I leave feedback and some leave feedback right away. As a seller I leave feedback immediately after receiving payment. As a buyer I don't leave feedback until I have what I bought in hand. I'd just be patient and wait for them to leave feedback. I have purchased a couple items(transaction went smoothly) and never got feedback from the seller.

derekhonda
12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Ok, thats exactly what I thought. So since I (as the buyer) did everything correct, (buy it now-paid immediately) I should already have positive feedback....right?

gpd005
12-06-2005, 11:26 AM
if i'm selling something and someone pays as soon as they buy it i always leave positive feedback right away!

12-06-2005, 11:28 AM
hes not going to give you feedback because once he does you could drag him around and not worry about him living a negative feedback anymore. Him not leaving feedback for you allows him to have you by the balls pretty much so you cant leave a negative feedback to him without receiving one back. Understand? its a sh1tty system thats being abused

300exOH
12-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Ok, thats exactly what I thought. So since I (as the buyer) did everything correct, (buy it now-paid immediately) I should already have positive feedback....right?

In theory yes. But it's all up to the other person though. I would give them a few days or so at least.

derekhonda
12-06-2005, 11:33 AM
i paid for this item november 15th

12-06-2005, 11:37 AM
i paid for this item november 15th hes not gonna leave you feedback until you leave him feedback. im telling you

300exOH
12-06-2005, 11:39 AM
i paid for this item november 15th

I'd say you have waited long enough. The seller must be the type like mixmastermike is talking about. You may just have to be the bigger man and leave feedback first.:macho

gpd005
12-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Mix Master is right unfortuantly. He's just going to wait for you to leave him negative and then he'll do the same to you. I'd just walk away from it and not leave anything! You'll be better off that way!

crday98
12-06-2005, 11:45 AM
i feel that if you follow the practice that you did, you should receive positive feedback before you leave feedback for the seller.
like MixMasterMike stated, it is a crappy that sellers abuse feedback like this. it is rare that the seller leaves feedback before i leave it for them. i always pay immediately after using "buy it now" too but hardly ever get feedback left until after i leave feedback for the seller.
if it wasn't for people doing this, a lot of sellers would have a hell of a lot more negative feedback than they do. i know i had to swallow not leaving negative feedback when i really wanted to because i know the seller would have done the same even though i paid right after the auction ended and did everything an excellent buyer should.
i know people that have left negative feedback for sellers even though they held up their end of the transaction only to get BS negative feedback in return. this is when you really have to look into the sellers feedback and read the comments. i've seen some sellers with negative feedback for idiotic reasons left by morons and others that well deserved it. if you do a little research, you will know who is safe to buy from and who is not. ;)

derekhonda
12-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Its really not that big of a deal. He actually is a member here. I bought some paintball guns and one of the C02 tanks was defective so i had to go spend another 40 bucks on that. I just thought it would be nice if he covered all or half of that expense.

But moreso, I just wanted to see if his theory on ettiquette was correct....which it is not. Thanks.

Derek

tamehart
12-06-2005, 11:54 AM
I would leave the feedback that is due to him, it is only fair. If he leaves you negative feedback, send emails that you tried to work it out and proof that you paid right after the auction to ebay. They have been really good to me with working out problems and poor sellers.

duke416ex
12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
So I guess he is saying he will do nothing about it. Have you tried telling him you will post hids name and experince on other forums as well as leaving him negative feedback on ebay?

The other option you might think about is you only have so many days to leave feedback on ebay, wait til the last minute before your time is up and post his feedback so he won't have time to post you a negative feedback. Not really the way I like to play the game, but some times you have to be that way.

honda350r
12-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Leave the seller his feecback and you will get yours! Who cares if he does it first!

A seller has lot more to lose than a buyer when it comes to feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buyers give bad feedback for all sorts of reason that have nothing to do with the seller!

The seller is just protecting his feedback!

If you recieved the part and it was all good then leave the poper feedback !!

crday98
12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
If you recieved the part and it was all good then leave the poper feedback !! he already stated that there was a bad part on the gun and it cost him an additional $40 to replace the part. it wasn't listed as being broken !!:rolleyes:

derekhonda
12-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Actually, it has come to light that he sent extra Orings with the gun. I can't believe I missed them. I guess now I have an extra C02 tank. I am an idiot.

Anyways this subject has started an interesting conversation, so I think we should continue.

Maybe Ebay should invoke a mandatory seller leave feedback within 10 days of purchase and the buyer have 20 days or something. This would make a seller be more honest and create an overall better ebay. Agreed?

honda350r
12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by crday98
he already stated that there was a bad part on the gun and it cost him an additional $40 to replace the part. it wasn't listed as being broken !!:rolleyes:

Oh, I must have read that too fast and skiped that part.. MY BAD ..

Feedback is VOLUNTARY and is not required !

Quad18star
12-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I've bought stuff from Ebay ... left good feedback for the seller and never received any feedback for myself ..... I feel robbed . LOL :confused:

crday98
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Oh, I must have read that too fast and skiped that part.. MY BAD ..

Feedback is VOLUNTARY and is not required !
that's ok, he just found that the guy sent extra o-rings with it and everything ended up being legit. he admitted to being an idiot.:D