PDA

View Full Version : What heat shield fits a 300ex exhaust pipe.

Sjorge450R
12-06-2005, 06:40 AM
I am tired of burning bare skin and boots on my head pipe and i was wondering if a heat shield will fit on it. I think i have heard of people using stock 450r shields but i want to know before i go buy one and try it. Also will an aftermarket 450r one work?

Thanks
Steve

300exOH
12-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
I am tired of burning bare skin and boots on my head pipe and i was wondering if a heat shield will fit on it. I think i have heard of people using stock 450r shields but i want to know before i go buy one and try it. Also will an aftermarket 450r one work?

Thanks
Steve

The stock 450r heat sheild works great on my sparks. As long as you have a pipe with a similar bend it should work. I'm sure the aftermarket ones would work too.

bwamos
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Aye, depends on the pipe. I run the Stock 450r shield on my 330ex w/ Sparks X-4 as well.

Trevor
12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
We made a home made one for my DG. Here is a picture of it before I painted it. However most of the paint has worn off again now but the shield works realy good.

300ex73
12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I think your best bet would be to get the 450R heatshield and the factory clamps and brackets that go with it. It's very easy to mount up. I'm not sure, but I think I was one fo the first ones to do this.

It doesn't cost much, but it's a good idea to do it, as it can prevent burns. I've still burnt my leg once or twice, but I was wearing shorts and touched my leg to the bare spot between the shield and fender.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have the shield powdercoated to a color of your preference. I like the color they come in. But, at the time I got mine, my PC guy coudn't color match it for me, so I just did black.

Here's mine when I got it.

300exOH
12-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 300ex73
I think your best bet would be to get the 450R heatshield and the factory clamps and brackets that go with it. It's very easy to mount up. I'm not sure, but I think I was one fo the first ones to do this.

It doesn't cost much, but it's a good idea to do it, as it can prevent burns. I've still burnt my leg once or twice, but I was wearing shorts and touched my leg to the bare spot between the shield and fender.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have the shield powdercoated to a color of your preference. I like the color they come in. But, at the time I got mine, my PC guy coudn't color match it for me, so I just did black.

Here's mine when I got it.

Any pics of yours pc'ed black? I've been thinking about doing mine and I'm curious what it would look like.

300ex73
12-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Here's a newer shot, kinda farther away though. You can kinda see however, how I had it done in black.

I also have the oil filter cover done in black to kinda match it a little. However, here in a few weeks, everything is getting stripped again, and new pc colors are going on. it's gonna look quite a bit different. Hopefully I'll have my graphics ready to be printed off as well.

300exOH
12-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Here's a newer shot, kinda farther away though. You can kinda see however, how I had it done in black.

Thanks. Looks good. I think I'll have mine pc'ed black when I get my bumpers and nerfs done. Man your quad looks good. Makes me want to throw a little white on mine.:devil:

300ex73
12-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Haha, thanks. I liek the white myself, although I've thought about going for some different colors on the plastics. Who knows though. I think with the graphics I have planned, it'll look bad.

exrider008
12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
lol 300ex73 could u put up some pics of ur quad, that thing is awsome
i think i am going to get white for mine
thanxs :D

300exOH
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Haha, thanks. I liek the white myself, although I've thought about going for some different colors on the plastics. Who knows though. I think with the graphics I have planned, it'll look bad.

Personally I like the white plastics. I think I'm going with a red/white/black theme on mine. I already have red plastic and some black here and there. I was thinking about doing my upper a arms white like yours and black lowers w/black swinger. I haven't figured out where else to add some white yet though. I have to come up with some spots for the white that won't see much wear and tear. Sorry for the off topic stuff:o

300ex73
12-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by exrider008
lol 300ex73 could u put up some pics of ur quad, that thing is awsome
i think i am going to get white for mine
thanxs :D

If you just look around, I have a few pics floating around in this forum. I know it shouldn't be very hard to find some of them.

dirtmomma
12-07-2005, 08:41 AM
HA I got ya ALL beat :D:D:D I have one off of a HARLEY :) we trimmed it to fit, works GREAT!! Gives the "chrome" affect & all LOL ;)
It's not on anymore but I still got it :D:D:D saved my leg many a time!!

kd5sfq
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
We use Harley heat shields as well... If you look hard enough you can find one that doesn't even need to be trimmed... :cool:

bigbadbrad
12-07-2005, 07:44 PM
also james lucky used to have one made especialy for the 300ex, don't kknow if they still have it though

Sjorge450R
12-08-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah im just going to stick with the 450r stock one. IMO i think it looks the best, mabey i will just get it shiped to pappy and have him paint it black.lol

bwamos
12-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Get the Mini Texture Black. It will look freaking awsome. And small scratches wont show up like gloss black.