PDA

View Full Version : 300ex budget suspension upgrade!

5.0fox
12-06-2005, 12:23 AM
ok so my 300ex has been pretty much stock for as long as ive had it and i think i wanna improve it a little bit. so i found the diamond j customs widening kit on ebay and it gave me an idea. i would like to run the widening kit with 400ex shocks all around and a gforce axle along with braided brake lines all around. i dont do any mx racing and not much of a jumper i just want a smoother more stable ride for the woods. would this setup work ok for me? im about 200 lbs if that matters.

8my_Cash
12-06-2005, 01:21 AM
i use the 400ex front end with works tripple rates but i jump ALOT. it would work but i would just go with some burgards and some nice works. but why would you want to be wider in the woods. i think narrower will be alot better for woods. JMO

5.0fox
12-06-2005, 11:16 AM
the woods i ride are pretty open so a little extra width isnt really a problem

Jonesboys
12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
We race GNCC and we have this setup.

My 300ex:
Strong Arm Custom +2wide +1forward A-arms
Works Tripple Rate With sep/rezzies adj. preload
Denton Stabilizer
Lonestar +3 Swingy
DuraBlue +2+4 axle (set at +2)
Works Tripple Rate With sep/rezzie adj. preload
21x7x9 Holeshot HD's front
20x11x9 Holeshot HD's rear
220 lb. rider
it's like a cadillac

My Brother's 300ex:
Lonestar +2+1 A-arms
PEP No-Preload Tripple Rates w/ sep. rezzies
Denton Stabilizer
Lonestar +1 swingy
Lonestar Axcalibur +2+4 axle
PEP No-Preload Tripple Rate w/sep. rezzie
23x7x9 Holeshot XCT's
22x11x9 Holeshot XCT's
150 lb rider

Jonesboys
12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
hope it helps

gunfreak00
12-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I am in the same situation. I keep reading about the 400ex parts swapping, but don't want the wider stance.

We ride trails and half the time don't even get out of 3rd gear. I ride behind the wife and my 11 yr old boy. We are making a 5 acre track in the back yard full of turns and jumps so I wanted a little better ride up front.

I to have seen the Diamond J's bracket and figured if i could put a 400ex shock on it , why not a yfz shock? I found a pair for less than $200. With the adjustments for rebound, compression and preload, I thought it would be a better shock. Am I wrong?

rollie
12-09-2005, 08:38 PM
i bet those widening kits are nice....untill you land

Get some burgard +2+1's and works...that wont be too much $$

if you want to save money...DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, you will end up getting a-arms and shocks for a 300 after you snap that diamond J crap in a week....jmo

gunfreak00
12-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Have you snaped one?

Have you personally seen one of these fail under moderate use?

What is the basis of your anamossity toward this product?

300exr
12-10-2005, 07:23 AM
it just looks risky to me thats all. Theres probably alot more to the whole set up and geometry to a front end, and personally i dont know, but i know i wouldnt use that, you'll prbably regret not buying the right stuff for your 300.

ZeroLogic
12-10-2005, 07:33 AM
if your going to get a front end i wouldnt go with thoses

if your on a tight budget go with a 400ex front end (400ex shocks spindles a arms) with a relocating bracket

if you have the money i would do it the right way by getting 300ex +2 or 3 a arms shocks and brakelines

hope this helps

rollie
12-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by gunfreak00
Have you snaped one?

Have you personally seen one of these fail under moderate use?

What is the basis of your anamossity toward this product?

my basis is that if these kits where so great....why isnt LSR or Burgard making them., you have to use 400ex a-arms and shocks...

1. 400ex a-arms were never designed to be put onto a 300ex

2.400ex shocks are set up for a 400ex, not a 300ex with has completely different geomotery and arse set up for the 400ex's weight, width and all that

3. Tie-rods should be at the same angle of the a-arms, because the tie-ros have to move as well, and if there not at the same angle, bad things can happen

4. Bump steer with this kit HAS to be terrible,you need custom lenth tie-rods and you wideing the quad 6 inches.....but with only +2 a-arms

im no front end expert either but there have been SO many thread about this and ive read so many posts bu Jeff@thequadshop.....i've learned a few things

theTman
12-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by rollie
my basis is that if these kits where so great....why isnt LSR or Burgard making them., you have to use 400ex a-arms and shocks...

2.400ex shocks are set up for a 400ex, not a 300ex with has completely different geomotery and arse set up for the 400ex's weight, width and all that

3. Tie-rods should be at the same angle of the a-arms, because the tie-ros have to move as well, and if there not at the same angle, bad things can happen

4. Bump steer with this kit HAS to be terrible,you need custom lenth tie-rods and you wideing the quad 6 inches.....but with only +2 a-arms

im no front end expert either but there have been SO many thread about this and ive read so many posts bu Jeff@thequadshop.....i've learned a few things

good post rollie....and he is right

that kit=total ****

gunfreak00
12-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Has anyone actually looked at the bracket?

The mounting point is raised higher on the quad to compensate for the longer shock, it should sit at the same level as stock.

I do not want to go wider because it will make it harder to ride the trails we ride. The boys Recon turns on a dime in the tight woods and I have a hard enough time keeping up. Thank god for reverse, as sad as the 300ex's is.

By the time I buy the a-arms, tie rods, lines, not to mention I'm not a mechanic, it would be more money than a set of Works.

big bad beny
12-10-2005, 10:46 AM
i have +2 +1 burgard A-arms with works dule rate
I didnt like my works but i had them redun by DSR and now front end flots its great.
the rear is stock except the axle which is +2 but the rear needs lots of work it bukes real bad.
but a Janson swingarm with a works redon by DSR will fix that

gunfreak00
12-10-2005, 05:50 PM
"i have +2 +1 burgard A-arms with works dule rate
I didnt like my works but i had them redun by DSR and now front end flots its great.
the rear is stock except the axle which is +2 but the rear needs lots of work it bukes real bad.
but a Janson swingarm with a works redon by DSR will fix that

Not to be rude, but what does that have to do with the question of a budget upgrade?

How much did you put into the upgrade thin on your quad?

Is the works shocks new or used? If new, why don't you have Works set them up to your specs, it's free of charge.

orangeEX
12-11-2005, 08:22 AM

no you just believed what you heard from "Jeff@thequadshop"
when you experiment and learn then you have the right to knock someones idea!

my wifes 300 is wider than, my 400ex w/+ 2 arms, but the 300
also has flipped rims
"ghetto MX" setup but it works awesome

all the B.S. you hear is just that B.S. i have the shock relocator
250r shocks,arms,tierods

jmo

big bad beny
12-11-2005, 09:26 AM
i bought the works new 9 mouths ago and they set them up for my weight and i still didnt like them. When i had them redun i wanted them down right the first time so i went to Santo Derisi at Derisi racing and he set them up right and i love them. He brought them to the track and help me put them on my quad and set the ride highth and every thang up right there at the track after the valving was done. The reason i put my last post up was to say hay you might not like your works when you get them.

rollie
12-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by orangeEX
no you just believed what you heard from "Jeff@thequadshop"
when you experiment and learn then you have the right to knock someones idea!

my wifes 300 is wider than, my 400ex w/+ 2 arms, but the 300
also has flipped rims
"ghetto MX" setup but it works awesome

all the B.S. you hear is just that B.S. i have the shock relocator
250r shocks,arms,tierods

jmo

ok noob, do you have any idea how much jeff@thequadshop knows about suspension?

8my_Cash
12-11-2005, 09:42 AM

then why does hetricks run it and recommends it? and if you set up everything right bad things will not happen.

i hate to argue about this subject since thats what always happens. You cant be bias to this setup if it is setup right(400ex spindles aftermarket shocks setup for a 300ex but are 400ex length, ect.) Im running it right now with works tripple rate fronts and i love it. I would recommend this setup for all that wants to try it. If you want different opinions about this whole thing just do a search you will find many many posts about this and how some love it and how some hate it.

rollie
12-11-2005, 10:26 AM
putting 400ex a-arms on a 300ex with custom lenth shocks or reloctor, fine puttinga "wideing kit"i personaly think is a bad idea, im also not trying to argue anyone either this is just my personal opinion

300ex13
12-11-2005, 01:37 PM
rollie i back you 100% with this the 400ex arms,tierods,and shocks are not made for the 300...but if i had to upgrade the front end id truthfully try the 400ex arms and tierods with 300ex +2 or maybe custom length shocks...ive seen some of the posts from Jeff@TheQuadshop and he does kno his suspension stuff...

countypark
12-11-2005, 02:04 PM
You guys need to read some of my old posts on this.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186443&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

orangeEX
12-11-2005, 03:05 PM

SPEAK FROM EXPERIANCE NOT WHAT SOMEONE TOLD YOU!

the things "jeff" complains about is different angles on the tie rods causing "bumpsteer" O.K. and what else !!!!!!

any extended a-arms are gonna give a little bump steer

once again speak from what you tried and not what a
mechanic has told you .. i've learned the hard way not to believe a mechanic :devil:

red rider88
12-11-2005, 03:52 PM
i run the shock relocator on mine and it works great but i was runnin works tripl rates wit rezzies which ill never run works agian cuz they snapped now i run PEP's and there awsome

exrider4130
12-21-2005, 08:05 PM
BUMP STEER SUCKS....i agree w/ rollie 100% for the simple reason that i was gonna run this setup and he told me about the bump steer stuff...i thought it was bad with stock stuff, then i rode a guys 300 that had the 400 setup...it just didnt handle worth a crap...also, i know a good bit about machining and working with metals and those brackets arent built all that strong... the design isnt all that good, im not tryin to knock anyone for runnign this setup, i just wouldnt rec it