PDA

View Full Version : K&N Jet Kit on 400

inacoma91
07-28-2001, 05:19 PM
I am having a little problem with my jetting. I have a Pro Circut T-4 and the K&N jet kit. I also have a hole in my air box the size of my filter and there is 3-1"holes behind the big hole. I also have the stock filter. I did everything that the instructions said. 170 main, 3 notch on the needle, 3 turns out on the air screw. My problem is when i am on full throttle let off gear down or two then hit the throttle a little bit it just wants to die sometimes. If i keep up on the Rpms then it wont do it. I tried playing with the air screw turning it out a half a turn and even a full turn from 3. I have even turned it in the same amount. The weather has been real screwy here lately so i probably need to mess with it some more. One day it will be real humid the next it will be cooler than it was the day before. Anyways this is only right when you try to give it gas at the start. Then it seems to want to die...............any ideas.

Andrew
2000 400 EX
Moose handlebars
CEET seat cover
14T drive sprocket
Pro Circut T-4
K&N jet kit
Shaved Fenders

Wheelie
07-28-2001, 05:25 PM
How many notches did you move the clip on the pilot needle? Only move it down one notch, any more than that it will run too rich at lower RPM's. For your fuel/air mixture screw, I would leave it a 1 1/2 turns out until you get the bike to run good then tune it from there. I could be wrong, but a 170 main seems way to rich, try in the 155-160 range. Good luck.

inacoma91
07-30-2001, 04:52 PM
Ok i think i figured it out. When i gear down from full throttle and turn a corner and try to give it gas it wants to bog down and die. I think my float is sitting a little low. Could this possibly be it??.....................................

Andrew
2000 400EX
Moose bars
Shaved Fenders
14T drive sprocket
K&N jet kit
Pro Circut T-4
CEET seat cover

Wheelie
07-30-2001, 08:08 PM
What color is your spark plug when you take it out?

If you didn't change the float level when you put the jet kit in, then the level should be ok.

By the #3 notch on the needle, is that 3 from the top or bottom. If the clip on the needle is too close to the top, it will make the bottom end too lean which will cause it too have a flat spot and die.

Good Luck!