PDA

View Full Version : changing tranny oil

DEAL
12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
How do I change/check the tranny oil in the 450r?
I didn't get the manual for the quad yet .. so could someone give me some instructions on how to do it?
Thanks.

12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
so you just got a 450r huh? sweet. even though youv'e kidna said some **** about me ill help you out. to check your tranny fluid you look on the clutch cover side and you'll see a 10mm bolt with a philips head screw slot inside it. take this bolt out and if tranny fluid oozes out you have enough.

to chang your tranny fluid you must first drain the fluid by removing the 12mm bolt which is kinda hard to get at that is located under the foot brake lever. after it drains out reinsert it and then remove that check bolt we were talking about earlier with the philipps head slot inside it. Then you take the plastic cap off on that side and add fluid untill it drains out the little hole and then you put everything back together. yah its kinda weird but if you need any further help ill help you out with it

tcr450r
12-05-2005, 07:30 PM
http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/

Go to that website and click on the 450r info page and it gives detailed instructions and pictures.

That website was given to me by 450redrider5 so thank him. It is very helpful and I'm glad I now have it on hand.

DEAL
12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
so you just got a 450r huh? sweet. even though youv'e kidna said some **** about me ill help you out. to check your tranny fluid you look on the clutch cover side and you'll see a 10mm bolt with a philips head screw slot inside it. take this bolt out and if tranny fluid oozes out you have enough.

to chang your tranny fluid you must first drain the fluid by removing the 12mm bolt which is kinda hard to get at that is located under the foot brake lever. after it drains out reinsert it and then remove that check bolt we were talking about earlier with the philipps head slot inside it. Then you take the plastic cap off on that side and add fluid untill it drains out the little hole and then you put everything back together. yah its kinda weird but if you need any further help ill help you out with it

Thanks alot , don't worry about whatever was said before

ThumPIN_450R
12-05-2005, 11:29 PM
the billywho factory fill bottles make it much nicer to fill. all you have to do is fill it to the marked line on the bottle with oil and then dump it in and not worry about that little check bolt.

tcr450r
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Do you have a website or something to that fill bottle. That would be perfect. Im sick of using a couple rolled up sheets of paper as a funnel. None of my funnels fit it right do to the angle of the fill hole.

ny300exrider
12-06-2005, 03:47 PM
i dont know what honda was thinking with the tranny drain bolt, such a pita to get to, especially with pro pegs

Ridin' Jesse
12-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
i dont know what honda was thinking with the tranny drain bolt, such a pita to get to, especially with pro pegs

It sucks with a skid plate on too.

ThumPIN_450R
12-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by tcr450r
Do you have a website or something to that fill bottle. That would be perfect. Im sick of using a couple rolled up sheets of paper as a funnel. None of my funnels fit it right do to the angle of the fill hole.

I think www.rockymountainatv.com has them I would find them for you and post the link straight too them but my computer is rather slow and I really don't feel like waiting for it.

Trx450always
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
the billywho factory fill bottles make it much nicer to fill. all you have to do is fill it to the marked line on the bottle with oil and then dump it in and not worry about that little check bolt.
I really have to disagree with you on that one. I know for a fact that my tranny takes more oil than honda says in the manual, then less on the engine side. For some reason?
So I don't reccoment doing this. ALWAYS use the check bolt!!! I know it takes 30 more Seconds, but it will prevent that 1,500 dollar tranny rebuild I know you all are looking foreward to. :D
Just My .03
Sam

ThumPIN_450R
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Trx450always
I really have to disagree with you on that one. I know for a fact that my tranny takes more oil than honda says in the manual, then less on the engine side. For some reason?
So I don't reccoment doing this. ALWAYS use the check bolt!!! I know it takes 30 more Seconds, but it will prevent that 1,500 dollar tranny rebuild I know you all are looking foreward to. :D
Just My .03
Sam

I already have done that 1300$ dollar tranny rebuild and that was using the check hole. ;)

OKTRX450R
12-07-2005, 07:30 AM
You can get a blue funnel from O'Reilly's if you have them...it is very odd shapped, long, and one side of the funnel part is longer...works perfect.

Oh, Wal-Mart also sells them and they are like $3-$4 or something...

I also agree on the tranny holding more, I have a funnel that has measurement marks on it and when you put in what Honda says it holds it is not close to the check bolt. I just fill my till it comes out the check bolt...