PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about electronics?

HondaEXrider22
12-05-2005, 05:03 PM
OK I got one of those stereo systems from walmart(the nice ones, like 200$ with the red/black/silver) ANd i have some big sony speakers. The big box ones with the removable cover. And i was wondering if i coulod possibly take the wire from the box speakers and then connect it to the wire from the oringinal speakers, and plug them into the main unit. Like have 2 in one of the holes in the main unit. WIll this work by any chance? Am i risking a burnt down house?

wilkin250r
12-05-2005, 05:17 PM
You run the risk of overloading your stereo, and causing it to overheat.

Basically, you are trying to drive 4 speakers from a system only designed to have 2 speakers.

Now, there ARE certain things you could do, but you need to learn about series and parallel loads, impedances, ect ect. If you don't have the background knowledge, it's best to just leave these systems how they were originally designed.

HondaEXrider22
12-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Wow and now i feel dumb, but if this helps at all, this stereo actualy is designed for 3(possibly 7) The two main speakers have 3 different one on each, and then there the big woofer for the bass. Now i have never even heard the fan go on yet, it doesnt get THAT much playing time but i have the speakers and wanted a more "surround, louder" sound. So it not gonna work...?

standardryder
12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
i have this thing i got from radio shack for like 20 bucks and it allows you to run mutiple speakers (i can run 6 with mine) without overloading your amp. you can get em so they can run like 8 and 10 speakers. and they have switches so you can chose what speakers you want on. this is what it looks like, it works great.

wilkin250r
12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Yeah, but that stereo was specifically designed to push those 7 speakers. Now, you're trying to add more.

Let's put it another way. Let's say your stereo is designed for 80 watts of power to all your speakers. And, the existing speakers are designed to pull 80watts at full volume. However, now you are trying to add another set of speakers that will pull an additional 60 watts out of the system.

You're trying to push 140 watts out of a system only designed to push 80 watts.

There is also the possibility that your speaker impedances make the problem even worse. Your second set of speakers might be lower impedance, and actually be trying to pull 100watts, which means you are trying to double the output power. Risky business.

You might be okay at low volumes, but even then I couldn't be certain. Unless you know what you're doing, you could quite literally be playing with fire.

HondaEXrider22
12-05-2005, 05:42 PM
OK Thanks for the help. I minght look into that convertor thing. Can they all play at once? Or does it have to be a certain set.

standardryder
12-05-2005, 05:45 PM
you can have them all playing at once. or you can have like speakers 1 and 3 playing or just number 2. it works good if you have speakers in different rooms.

HondaEXrider22
12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Alright thanks, next time i go by radioshack i will try to find one.