View Full Version : '06 Pics

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Some people have requested that I post some pictures of my '06 when I got it ready. Here they are.

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by tamehart
VERY NICE....

plan for any more mods???

I have some a-arms coming from Rated X and LSR. I will be evaluating both of those to see which ones I'll be riding for '06. The arms/spindles/hubs on this one are from my '05 (I just couldn't wait any longer on arms).

This quad will probably use the stock engine, with the exception of the HRC kit which is already installed. I like running pump gas in my practice quads.

I will be building another on that will be my race quad.

I put quite a bit of time on this one last Saturday and the quad felt very comfortable. No complaints. My '05 TRX has the nMotion 520 kit on it and this quad is very close in feel. The '06 is a vast improvement over the'05.

.brit

tamehart
12-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Brit, sorry I deleted my post because I seen you were still posting pics and I don't like to get inbetween pics.

Anyway, quad looks awesome.

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by tamehart
Brit, sorry I deleted my post because I seen you were still posting pics and I don't like to get inbetween pics.

Anyway, quad looks awesome.

Ha! No problem. Thanks for the compliments.

.brit

SAND LUVR
12-05-2005, 04:55 PM
that is one sweet bike

JRP
12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
man that is one kick *** quad. great job on it..:cool: :devil:

12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
thats niiiice:D :D :D

400exrider0004
12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
wow, very nice 450!!!!

Jersey450R
12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
cool, get some exhaust.

Brit Mansell
12-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
cool, get some exhaust.

Ha! Good catch.

I really don't see any need for another silencer/muffler. That's the HRC header on it and the stock cannister sounds good to me. Plus, it's not nearly as heavy as I was expecting it to be. I'm sure I'll end up running something else on the race bike, but this one will stay with "ole' shiney".

.brit

Punk'd
12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
WOW thats a sick bike man

Dave400ex
12-05-2005, 08:31 PM
That thing looks awesome. I can't wait to get one.

fandl450r
12-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Great looking bike Brit. Thats at Monster Mountain isn't it?

Jersey450R
12-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Brit Mansell
Ha! Good catch.

I really don't see any need for another silencer/muffler. That's the HRC header on it and the stock cannister sounds good to me. Plus, it's not nearly as heavy as I was expecting it to be. I'm sure I'll end up running something else on the race bike, but this one will stay with "ole' shiney".

.brit
haha, yea. the 06 has a straight through style stock muffler. i guess matched with the hrc header, its alright i guess. When i got my 05, i liked the look of the stock silencer too :blah:

Brit Mansell
12-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Yeah, the big Monster. Our series finale was Saturday. We had a great turnout and a lot of great races.

To all of those who weren't there, you missed a good one!

.brit

KOG
12-06-2005, 06:31 AM
thats a nice bike have you found a pipe for it yet

Brit Mansell
12-06-2005, 06:39 AM
It has the HRC header on it and I'm going to leave the stock "silencer" on it.

.brit

quad2xtreme
12-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Brit,

Damn you for posting pictures of a badass black 450r. I just made my mind up to go with red and then you have to go and do this! ;)

Perhaps you can ease some of my pain by posting a close-up picture of how those nerfs mount on the front? Would you say the pegs sit at the same height and location as stock? I am 6'6" tall so I prefer the pegs sit lower than stock so my knees aren't as high up on the gas tank when I am sitting.

I've heard the DG pro-pegs sit about 1/2" lower than stock. I would be happier with a full inch lower than stock but will take what I can get.

Thanks,

Jon

Brit Mansell
12-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Jon,

I'm sorry to do that to you... I know what you mean about going back and forth, though. My '05 was red. I liked the look of it, but just wanted to do something different.

As for the nerfs, the front mount is very unique and it works very well. That's probably the reason these nerfs stay tight so well. The bottom rear a-arm bolt (longer bolt included) actually goes through the nerf bars and secures them to the frame. This, in my opinion, is a much better design that the others on the market, especially the u-bolt designs.

The picture below is the best one I have of the front mount.

As for the peg position, I can't really compare them to the stock ones since I never really rode it stock, but I'm 6'2" and I feel very comfortable on these nerfs. I also run a +2 stem (with CR High bars) which helps out a lot.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

.brit

quad2xtreme
12-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the picture.

Just realized why your quad looks so sharp. You powdercoated the frame in black. That is why I decided to go red. When I was looking at the Honda pictures a few days ago, the black didn't stand out. I was originally thinking of going with black (hearing that black plastic is harder to take care of) and then changing colors with aftermarket plastic. Then, I noticed Honda didn't follow Yamaha's pattern of using black frame with black plastic.

I don't have the patience or energy to disassemble the whole back to mimic your bike.

Damn, it does look sharp though.

/jon

Jersey450R
12-06-2005, 09:27 AM
i run the same nerfs. you can mount the mounts the other way and actually lower the pegs 2 inches. i had mine like that origionally but i got tired of bottoming out the heelgaurds. i actually cracked one but now have it wedled with gussets.

iceracer65
12-06-2005, 10:48 AM
is that the stock hood piece?

sharp bike!

Brit Mansell
12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by iceracer65
is that the stock hood piece?

sharp bike!

Yes, stock hood.

Thanks.

.brit

brink400
12-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I wonder if those nerf bars would get in the way of a gusset kit. I have the bare gusset kit on my frame and have AC nerfs, but they are the junkiest pieces of junk ever and I love the way those pro armors look. And in my experience pro armor products have always been better than AC. But obviously I cant get the pro armors if there isnt enough clearance between the gusset and the nerfs.

Brit Mansell
12-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by brink400
I wonder if those nerf bars would get in the way of a gusset kit. I think it just depends on where the gussets are installed. If you want to take some pictures of the areas in question and email them to me, I can let you know if I think the nerfs will work.

.brit

sweet lou
12-06-2005, 04:36 PM
awesome quad!!just love it all the way!!you did a great job!! i just wonder is that a pro armor skid plate because i love the shape! thanks

Brit Mansell
12-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by sweet lou
awesome quad!!just love it all the way!!you did a great job!! i just wonder is that a pro armor skid plate because i love the shape! thanks

Sure is. It is a different design from last year. Pro Armor parts are top notch and their stuff for '06 is no exception.

.brit

blakefoote
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
that is the baddest 450 i have eva seen B4!!!!!!!!!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Nate Dogg #76
12-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Brit, do you plan on racing any GNC MX Nationals for 06.

Brit Mansell
12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Nate Dogg #76
Brit, do you plan on racing any GNC MX Nationals for 06.

Definitely. I don't know which ones yet, though. I'm going to wait and see how all of the different schedules mesh together.

.brit

XCRACER26
12-08-2005, 07:27 PM
the stock hood makes that thing look bad *** with out the light, at first I thought the new 450rs were ugly, after seeing that I knew honda knew wat there doing:macho :)

eagertorace
12-09-2005, 10:00 AM
nice very nice!!!!!
like those graphics but too much white on the shrouds.
mine is black and was considering this kit as well.
good luck in the nationals and I heard one of the races will be held at Ballances' new mx track this year, can't wait. (Be watching of course).

MXRACER86
12-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey Brit! I know you have tried elka suspesion with walsh and I know you tried custom axis with walsh, so my question is which shocks do you like better and how much better do you like them?

Joe

Brit Mansell
12-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
Hey Brit! I know you have tried elka suspesion with walsh and I know you tried custom axis with walsh, so my question is which shocks do you like better and how much better do you like them?

Joe,

Once you get them dialed in, they're almost identical. I have been very happy with both brands. No complaints from either.

As the '06 is setup right now it feels like the Elka shocks allowed the front tires to stick a little better in the turns. It's very hard to say this is completely due to the shocks, but that's the only thing noticable at this point. I've only put about 45 minutes on the Axis/Walsh combination so far.

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by eagertorace
mine is black and was considering this kit as well.

Anyone with this kit installed gets 10% off for all purchases through QuadFast.

.brit

trx400exxracer
12-10-2005, 08:29 PM
:eek2: STANDING OVATION:eek2:

Brit Mansell
12-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
like those graphics but too much white on the shrouds.

I designed the graphics kit that way so people would be able to put their sponsor stickers there and they would still contrast (be more visible). If the shrouds remained all black, it would be harder to see most sponsor logos.

.brit

quad2xtreme
12-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I designed the graphics kit that way so people would be able to put their sponsor stickers there and they would still contrast (be more visible). If the shrouds remained all black, it would be harder to see most sponsor logos.

.brit

Time to sell that quad and build one with red plastic. ;) Send me some pics when you are done. :D

Stock 400 rider
12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I really liked the graphics for the Yfz. Can u get a discount for members?

Post some action pics with your new babe (06')!

eagertorace
12-11-2005, 05:19 PM

.brit

I see, good idea.

hardkoratvmxr
12-11-2005, 05:36 PM
we need some pics of this beast in action

Brit Mansell
12-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Time to sell that quad and build one with red plastic. ;) Send me some pics when you are done. :D

Fast enough for you?

This is my quad from last season. It is the quad featured in this ******** article: http://www.********.com/machines/honda/britmansells520r-05.htm

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider
I really liked the graphics for the Yfz. Can u get a discount for members?

Post some action pics with your new babe (06')!

I wish I could, but we're already selling them for $100 including the seat cover. That just barely covers our cost on them, plus we're giving a 10% discount on all future orders once you install the kit on your quad and send pictures. We realize that the graphics kit is an advertisement for us and we're doing what we can to help the riders out in exchange for them "advertising" QuadFast.

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
we need some pics of this beast in action

I agree. We were all headed out for some practice laps this weekend, but all of the tracks around here (Central Alabama) were closed due to the large amount of rain last week.

As soon as I can get her on a track and have someone click some pictures I'll post them here.

.brit

Stock 400 rider
12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the answers and congrats, it's a great idea about the graphic kit, send pic, etc.

Ty's400
12-12-2005, 08:44 PM
That thing is beyond words! If you have an extra I'd be happy to take it off your hands.:D

Brit Mansell
12-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Ha! Thanks for the compliment.

If and when I get an extra lying around, just after Osama is captured, pigs fly, and Hilary Clinton is elected President I'll give you a call and arrange for delivery.

.brit

Ty's400
12-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Haha right on

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Here's a picture with the new front end on it. LSR DC4's.

.brit

Jersey450R
12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
why did u downgrade your a-arms? :huh

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
why did u downgrade your a-arms? :huh

Ha! Interesting choice of words.

Downgrading is an opinion, obviously, but both companies produce arms of the higest quality.

You usually have to wait months on Walsh parts and only weeks on LSR parts. LSR started developing the arms for the '06 almost immediately upon release of the '06. The LSR's are top notch and I could get them a lot sooner, so it seemed like an easy decision to me. I also went with LSR's Outlaw Swingarm so that I would know everything was tested thoroughly together. The package is near perfect on the track.

Note: both LSR and Walsh use the exact same length shock and final width, therefore producing almost identical geometry.

.brit

quad2xtreme
12-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Brit,

what was the length of a 2005 swingarm versus a 2006? And what is the length of your new 2006?

I guess I am thinking many in 2005 went with a +1.25". So what is the optimum length for a 2006?

Thanks,

Jon

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Brit,

what was the length of a 2005 swingarm versus a 2006? And what is the length of your new 2006?

I guess I am thinking many in 2005 went with a +1.25". So what is the optimum length for a 2006?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

I think the '06 is just barely longer than the '05. Just going from memory, I think it was like 1/8" or 1/4" inch longer for the 2006.

LSR's Outlaw and the Walsh Savior is around 1-1/4" over stock (2005 stock). That has proven to be a great setup and both companies are selling the same setup (same as their 2005 products) for the 2006. Since you replace all of the linkage and require a new shock with both systems, it is a complete bolt on with the 2005 and 2006.

So, to specifically answer your question, I would say 1-1/4" over the 2005 length and about 1" over the 2006 swinger, but in essence they will end up being the same length for both models.

One thing to remember though, Honda did change the length of the linkage on the 2006, so an aftermarket standard linkage swingarm for a 2005 will not work on a 2006 (per LSR).

LSR or Walsh, or most other companies for that matter, should be able to give you more specific numbers on the length discrepancies.

.brit

MXRACER86
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Hey brit, Do you feel that the Lonestar a-arms, swingarm and linkage work just as well as the walsh products? After I have ridden a frontend end with king pins and hiem joints a regular ball joint frontend just don't feel as good!

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey brit, Do you feel that the Lonestar a-arms, swingarm and linkage work just as well as the walsh products? After I have ridden a frontend end with king pins and hiem joints a regular ball joint frontend just don't feel as good!

I have mixed emotions about that subject. From everything I've learned, heim joints should be a better product when you compare apples to apples. But on the other hand, I've ridden regular ball joint type front ends for a couple of seasons without any "slop" in the joints. Geometrically, they both do the same thing, so all that could possibly be different in the handling would be the ease at which you can turn the handlebars while the joints are under load. I didn't notice ANY difference in the two front ends on this quad.

I love the Walsh design and truely believe that Mike and the crew out there design the best suspension components on the planet, but if you don't have the money or the time to wait on them the LSR products have almost the exact same specs, are readily available and cost hundreds less.

I don't think you're going to go wrong with either design.

It's very easy to get off of one quad with one type of setup and right onto another quad with a different setup and say that one setup is faster than the other. But, in essence, all you've said is that you personally like the way one quad is setup over the other. To get the feel for the differences between to parts, you need to be able to change out only that part and ride the quad again.

There are so many differentiating factors in making a quad fast that it is very difficult to say that one a-arm or swingarm is better than another. Shocks, tires, tire pressure, engine power delivery, handlebar bend, etc., etc. All of these things can give a dramatically different feel to a quad. That feel could easily be wrongly attributed to the type of shocks installed or any other type of equipment.

All I am saying is find out what you like best and stick with it. Parts don't make people fast, experience and training makes them fast. **Broken parts can make you slow, though** :blah:

.brit

400exrider0004
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
brit, what is your tire setup? What kind of ITPs are they and what size? What kind of wheels and beadlocks do you run, and do you like your tires?

Thanks

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
brit, what is your tire setup? What kind of ITPs are they and what size? What kind of wheels and beadlocks do you run, and do you like your tires?

Thanks

Tires
Front: ITP Holeshot MX Front - 19"
Rear: ITP Holeshot MXR4 - 18"

Wheels
Front: ITP T9
Rear: ITP T9 Pro Lock

ITP now offers the black powder coat directly from the factory. They are very durable and look good for a long time. I ran them all last season (before they offered powder coat) and they lasted very well. I would highly recommend them.

.brit

400exrider0004
12-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks!!

MXRACER86
12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Is there any reason your using the 19 inch fronts over the 20inch?

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Is there any reason your using the 19 inch fronts over the 20inch?

Well, I'm 6'2", so every .5" closer to the ground I can get is valuable.

But seriously though, I don't have any problems bottoming the front end, so I don't see any reason to go with the larger tires. I ran some briefly last season and couldn't tell a lot of difference in them.

.brit

Dave400ex
12-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Can you get a picture of the front end from straight ahead? I want to see what the hood looks like from head on.

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Can you get a picture of the front end from straight ahead? I want to see what the hood looks like from head on. How's this for service?

.brit

Dave400ex
12-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Looks awesome. I actually like the way that stock hood looks.

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Looks awesome. I actually like the way that stock hood looks.
Yeah, me too. I ordered a QuadTech scoop hood when I ordered the quad. It's already in, sitting on the shelf. I like the stock look better. Once you put a hood on it, it looks just like the '05's.

.brit

FHKracingZ
12-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Accually brit , Walsh , Laeger, JB all use a 1.41 leverage ratio ... while LSR is 1.62

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Accually brit , Walsh , Laeger, JB all use a 1.41 leverage ratio ... while LSR is 1.62

Do you think you could measure that small amount of difference while riding the quad through a whoop section in third gear?

:D

Good catch, though. I haven't verified those numbers, but I'll take your word for it. As long as your shocks are setup accordingly, I highly doubt that you could notice a difference that small, agreed?

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

I imagine that will also be slightly different for 2006 since the length of the arm is shorter and the width of the hub/spindle is longer. I don't expect much difference, though.

JB is actually selling their 05 arms for the 06 since they're still under the width limit of 50" on the '06. That will change their ratio from the 1.41 as you mentioned above, and I'm sure the Laeger and JB numbers from above are also from 2005, right? I haven't seen '06 components from Walsh or Laeger yet.

.brit

MXRACER86
12-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey brit! I noticed in the pic of the front of the quad that your lower a-arm balljoint nut is not tight!:eek2:

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey brit! I noticed in the pic of the front of the quad that your lower a-arm balljoint nut is not tight!:eek2:

You guys are killing me!

I noticed that while I was washing it. On a brighter note, since that was the only thing that was loose on a brand new build, I was very happy.

There are a lot of things to watch out for when building a quad from the frame up. A loose nut on the ball joint (which can't move anyway) isn't too bad considering.

Thanks for looking out for me. :cool:

.brit

diangelo#67
12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
hey brit sell me your other walsh 530 or 520 or what ever it was:devil:

Brit Mansell
12-19-2005, 04:55 PM
It is for sale, but I believe I already have a buyer. No deposit yet, so it's still fair game.

Here're the details: http://www.********.com/machines/honda/britmansells520r-05.htm

Price is $13,000 and includes brand new (still uninstalled) OEM black plastic. The quad is perfect and is absolutely the best performing quad I've ever ridden. I wish the 520 was legal for the ProAm Prod class. :D

I haven't advertised it for sale yet, so it'll be "our little secret". :devil:

.brit

quad2xtreme
12-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Jon,

I think the '06 is just barely longer than the '05. Just going from memory, I think it was like 1/8" or 1/4" inch longer for the 2006.

LSR's Outlaw and the Walsh Savior is around 1-1/4" over stock (2005 stock). That has proven to be a great setup and both companies are selling the same setup (same as their 2005 products) for the 2006. Since you replace all of the linkage and require a new shock with both systems, it is a complete bolt on with the 2005 and 2006.

So, to specifically answer your question, I would say 1-1/4" over the 2005 length and about 1" over the 2006 swinger, but in essence they will end up being the same length for both models.

One thing to remember though, Honda did change the length of the linkage on the 2006, so an aftermarket standard linkage swingarm for a 2005 will not work on a 2006 (per LSR).

LSR or Walsh, or most other companies for that matter, should be able to give you more specific numbers on the length discrepancies.

.brit

Not that you can trust the magazines but I thought I read the 2006 had a 1" longer wheelbase. I figured the frame was the same so I thought the change would be in either the a-arms, the swingarm, or both.

/Jon

Brit Mansell
12-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Not that you can trust the magazines but I thought I read the 2006 had a 1" longer wheelbase. I figured the frame was the same so I thought the change would be in either the a-arms, the swingarm, or both.

/Jon Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know where the inch is coming from, but from what I've read (same issue as above) the swingarm is just slightly longer than the '05 and '04. I haven't measured it, so please don't take my word for it.

.brit