View Full Version : Ebayer's shipping charges!!

Giz400ex
12-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Is it me or members on ebay are charging like 300%-600% more than whats the actual shipping charge is?????? I'm tired of getting charge $7.00 when it actually cost $1.75. Just venting a bit but is it me:confused:

Schooled 416
12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Thats probably how much it costs, ive sold alot of stuff on ebay. The cheapest thign I shipped was 5-6 bucks for shipping.

quadrcr161
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
shipping isnt that cheap, the least is probably around $5. plus they have to drive to the drop off, and either find boxes to package it up in or pay to have it packaged which can get expensive. remember if you dont agree with any price you dont have to bid.

derekhonda
12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok, I have recieved packages that are stamped $1.06 and was charged 6.99. Do you guys have an answer for that?

12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
helps covers listing fees...i always offer free shipping on my items and it goes $7 higher than what someone else sells something with $7 shiping so it all equals out

stc416rider
12-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
helps covers listing fees...i always offer free shipping on my items and it goes $7 higher than what someone else sells something with $7 shiping so it all equals out

yeah what he said

its just a ploy 2 make money:devil:

12-05-2005, 03:22 PM
figure the seller has to drive a few miles to ship, plus the packaging and their time and effort into boxing the item up and going to the shipper...i have made money on shiping, and i have lost money on shipping...it all kinda works out in the end....the seller should kinda look at ebays fees as an advertisement fee, or a loss, and if they take c.card by paypal...the lose even more money on that

Giz400ex
12-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Schooled 416
Thats probably how much it costs, ive sold alot of stuff on ebay. The cheapest thign I shipped was 5-6 bucks for shipping. No, he charged me $7.00 but really cost $1.75 and another auction I won he charged $4.00 but cost 84 cents and the listings fees are not that much!!

12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
No, he charged me $7.00 but really cost $1.75 and another auction I won he charged $4.00 but cost 84 cents and the listings fees are not that much!! buy elsewhere or bid lower to make up the price difference which is what happens anyway. I usually ask a person with good feedback if I can buy a item outside of ebay and take about $5.00 OFF THe item to save on the fees depending on how much the item is going for. they usually almost always agree and I have never been scammed from doing this.

JDiablo
12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
buy elsewhere or bid lower to make up the price difference which is what happens anyway. I usually ask a person with good feedback if I can buy a item outside of ebay and take about $5.00 OFF THe item to save on the fees depending on how much the item is going for. they usually almost always agree and I have never been scammed from doing this.

I've done that,it saves you some money,a couple of times the people where douchebags

Schooled 416
12-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
No, he charged me $7.00 but really cost $1.75 and another auction I won he charged $4.00 but cost 84 cents and the listings fees are not that much!!

ohhhhh I gotcha, yea when they send it usps it says the shipping amount on the label.

crday98
12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
i don't know about the stuff some of you guys are buying but everything i buy is usually shipped USPS priority mail. i also sell and ship similar items of the same size and weight and know what it cost to ship them. i see people charging $5 to $10 over the actual shipping amount. some sellers even have the nerve to say part of that extra cost is because of packing materials yet they come in a free USPS Priority Mail Box and are wrapped in a piece of newspaper. you can go on to say their expenses to drive to the post office but the mail man will pick up the package at your door for free if you pay the shipping online on the USPS website.
i have seen shipping for a single CD listed as $19.95. that is ebay for you folks. the only thing you can do is not bid or only bid what you are willing to pay including shipping. it does suck when you pay a certain amount for shipping thinking that is the actual cost only to find out that you've been overcharged when you receive your item. luckily for me, i know what shipping should be for most of the items i buy.
i hate people that follow this practice. i have never charged anything but the actual shipping cost for anything i have sold and refuse to do so.

12-05-2005, 08:41 PM
People always add on a handling fee, thats where the price is.

honda350r
12-06-2005, 08:02 AM
I just bought a new Dell computer from Dell. It says free shipping for units over 499.00.. I got the free shipping but had to pay a 25.00 handling fee...

I sell on ebay and I get paid for packing peoples parts up in a nice box nice tape and great packing!

Do you guys go to work for free?

Quad18star
12-06-2005, 09:07 AM
It's just another way to make money .

You'll be looking through auctions and you'll see an item you want and it is listed $10 lower than everyone elses listings ... then you see there's a $10 shipping charge ... bumps it back up to the actual price of the item .

Meanwhile ... the other auctions are a few dollars more but they list the REAL shipping charges which is lower than the other guys shipping costs .

Either way you look at it ... if the person wants a set amount of money for an item , the'll just charge you more for shipping , but drop the reserve price to make the auction move better . In the end you're still paying full price . LOL

Warnerade
12-06-2005, 11:00 AM
a lot of things that are sold as retail from an actual store on ebay are sold at a cheaper price...but shipping is a bit more, its realy nothing more than a propaganda...

i just bought a nextel data cable for 1.99...paid 7 something for shipping, will shipping cost that much? hell no...but the cable retails for 20 i think at a nextel dealer...

either way, your saving money and they are still making money

bullet3z
12-06-2005, 02:31 PM
This is how the seller makes up for lost profit. I do not agree with this type of selling so I tend to stay away from those sellers. That is unless they are still cheaper over all, which some times they are. The highest rates tend to be when the seller usees the calculate options from UPS. They can add a handling fee before it calculates the actual shipping cost. These rates are always way over the top for shipping.

LS@GtThunder
12-06-2005, 05:35 PM
This is how I do it.

I charge a set fee to ship anywhere in the USA - does not matter if it is in California or 1 hour down the road. I make it a few dollars higher then the furthest shipping point to cover the cost of the people packing it for me - I dont intend to make any profit on it. I also list the shipping charge in the add so everyone understands and bids accordingly. It is much more efficaint that way for me then to answer a lot of questions regarding shipping costs. I also ship everything by UPS which does cost a little more on some things but they pick up here every day anyway.

muff
12-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I hope you guys realize that these fees are only for the little items you happen to be buying. I've spend over $1500 in the past 3 months with UPS and I can tell you its NOT cheap! Granted I ship usps whenever I can (for light and smaller items), but ups has taken a big hit.

I don't know how much money I've lost coming up short on shipping figures. It takes time to get a box together and get all of the stuff wrapped up properly. If you guys shipped as much as I do you'll realize some of the prices actually aren't that bad.

You also need to consider paypal fees, which is one thing the buyer never even thinks about. Sell a $750 rear shock and there goes $20 out the window, more than I had even added in for shipping. Then between insurance, driving to drop the package off, and the actual package fee it all adds up!!

Pappy
12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by LS@GtThunder
This is how I do it.

I charge a set fee to ship anywhere in the USA - does not matter if it is in California or 1 hour down the road. I make it a few dollars higher then the furthest shipping point to cover the cost of the people packing it for me - I dont intend to make any profit on it. I also list the shipping charge in the add so everyone understands and bids accordingly. It is much more efficaint that way for me then to answer a lot of questions regarding shipping costs. I also ship everything by UPS which does cost a little more on some things but they pick up here every day anyway.

ditto

thanks laz, ya saved me some typing!

Chino886
12-07-2005, 08:43 AM
For everyone that thinks they are getting ripped off for shipping charges, I have a few questions:

1. When was the last time you bought a used part and complained about a price? If so, you screwed yourself!

2. Have you ever shipped large items(UPS or USPS)?
The shipping really adds up, I just sold some front tires for $85 shipped, sounds like a hell of a deal right, wrong, shipping alone was $19.94, so I sold them for $65.06.

3. Do you have an endless supply of nice cardboard boxes, packing tape, and materials in your basement? I didn't think so, at least the last time I checked, I didn't....So you don't think this costs money? Hmmmmm.....

4. Gas! Enough said with that one....you have to remember not everyone lives a block, or hell, even a mile away from the post office, some people have to drive 5, 10, 30 minutes to the post office....for you smart guys that are going to say UPS offers pickup, just add $5 for that service....

Just an FYI on shipping, I know I am not making any money off of this! :devil:

Schooled 416
12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
For everyone that thinks they are getting ripped off for shipping charges, I have a few questions:

1. When was the last time you bought a used part and complained about a price? If so, you screwed yourself!

2. Have you ever shipped large items(UPS or USPS)?
The shipping really adds up, I just sold some front tires for $85 shipped, sounds like a hell of a deal right, wrong, shipping alone was $19.94, so I sold them for $65.06.

3. Do you have an endless supply of nice cardboard boxes, packing tape, and materials in your basement? I didn't think so, at least the last time I checked, I didn't....So you don't think this costs money? Hmmmmm.....

4. Gas! Enough said with that one....you have to remember not everyone lives a block, or hell, even a mile away from the post office, some people have to drive 5, 10, 30 minutes to the post office....for you smart guys that are going to say UPS offers pickup, just add $5 for that service....

Just an FYI on shipping, I know I am not making any money off of this! :devil:

I agree 100%. I used to ship some big boxes out for parts I would sell on ebay. People would email me saying that there is no way shipping should be that high (Sometimes up to $80 for one box) so I send them a picture of the part in the box with the dimensions, then I said go to www.ups.com enter in the dimensions, you zip code, my zip code and see what comes up. Then they would buy the part with no complaints.

derekhonda
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I dont think most of us are talking about shipping big atv items and getting ripped off, atleast i know I'm not. I quoted a guy 80 bucks shipped on a set of old nerfbars. Problem is, i didn't realize how far up in canada he was, i think shipping was $50 for that one. It was my mistake and I honored my price.

What gets me going, is I recently starting buying back old SNES games. Nothing like playing the same games i played 10 years ago...right? Well anyways, I buy a game for say 7 dollars. shipping is 7 dollars. When it arrives, it is in an envelope, with 1.06 stamped where the stamps go. Yes I knew shipping was 7 dollars before I bought it, i just figured it was gonna be more like 4 or 5 to ship it and thought it was a fair price for shipping.

Lately I have been seeing a new trend on ebay. Stuff that typically sells for about $150 has a buy it now for like, $25. Then, unless you read the whole contract (which i assume most people do) they stick you with a $175 shipping charge. This is just shady business practices.

Chino886
12-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I dont think most of us are talking about shipping big atv items and getting ripped off, atleast i know I'm not. I quoted a guy 80 bucks shipped on a set of old nerfbars. Problem is, i didn't realize how far up in canada he was, i think shipping was $50 for that one. It was my mistake and I honored my price.

What gets me going, is I recently starting buying back old SNES games. Nothing like playing the same games i played 10 years ago...right? Well anyways, I buy a game for say 7 dollars. shipping is 7 dollars. When it arrives, it is in an envelope, with 1.06 stamped where the stamps go. Yes I knew shipping was 7 dollars before I bought it, i just figured it was gonna be more like 4 or 5 to ship it and thought it was a fair price for shipping.

Lately I have been seeing a new trend on ebay. Stuff that typically sells for about $150 has a buy it now for like, $25. Then, unless you read the whole contract (which i assume most people do) they stick you with a $175 shipping charge. This is just shady business practices.

I totally agree with you there, that is shady, then again, I know a guy I work with that does that....go figure.

I ship everything the same way, and have never had a complaint from everyone. I usually take it to UPS or USPS and ask them what the best way to ship it is. They will tell you what is the best way and what is most cost effective.

I hate shady people! :grr:

honda350r
12-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda

That is not alowed on Ebay !! All you have to do is contact them and they will pull the auction !

People do this to avoid Ebay charges!! That is the only reason you will see this type of activity !!

12-08-2005, 10:36 AM
not only does the auction get pulled but your account also gets deleted ;)