PDA

View Full Version : LSR axle +2 +4 will it work for XC racing?

benbuilt4u
12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I got a LSR axle off ebay i was told it was a stock and +2 but it turns out its +2 and +4 does anyone run this or it gonna be to fat in the rear? i have +1 roll in the front if that helps.

thanks

fandl450r
12-05-2005, 02:07 PM
I assume it has spacers on the axle splines? If so you should be able to but your hub as close as you can to the inside of the axle, then spacers, then hub nut.

bwamos
12-05-2005, 03:16 PM
If you have +1 in the front.. the +2 in the rear should put you back to the same width, no?

benbuilt4u
12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
If you have +1 in the front.. the +2 in the rear should put you back to the same width, no?

kinda it is a little bit more then the front now.

300exHILLER
12-06-2005, 07:24 AM
if it matters I use a LSR axle set to +1 on 450r for XC. With 20" razor 2's it's right at 47" wide. I scrub some trees but never get stuck.

benbuilt4u
12-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 300exHILLER
if it matters I use a LSR axle set to +1 on 450r for XC. With 20" razor 2's it's right at 47" wide. I scrub some trees but never get stuck.

i just measured and im right at 47" and the front measured 42" but i have it up on my stand so im thinking its about 44" sitting down. so it was was pretty much square before the axle.

dantwo
12-06-2005, 11:34 AM
We do have XC axles in stock....

Dan @ LSR

Chino886
12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by dantwo

Dan @ LSR

Hey Dan,

what is the proper set up in your opinion of a-arm to axle ratio?

For example, + 2 arms with +__ axle width....

Thanks,
chino

dantwo
12-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Well it depends on what wheel and tire set up you are running. You want to keep the rear tires just narrower then the front. That is why the axle is adjustable to fit any track and wheel combination.

TRX 450 Axle Widths
MX Axle: Standard to +3
XC Axle: -2 to +1

Both come with a full lifetime warranty…

Thanks
Dan @ LSR

Chino886
12-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Well it depends on what wheel and tire set up you are running. You want to keep the rear tires just narrower then the front. That is why the axle is adjustable to fit any track and wheel combination.

TRX 450 Axle Widths
MX Axle: Standard to +3
XC Axle: -2 to +1

Both come with a full lifetime warranty…

Thanks
Dan @ LSR

Hey Dan,

you have PM

chino

infantry317
12-06-2005, 03:09 PM
I used a LSR +2+4 for half a season on my 400ex for XC, I really liked it. I always catch the front wheels when I do catch, the rear was never a problem and D23 has very narrow tracks.

benbuilt4u
12-06-2005, 06:28 PM

Dan @ LSR

if youll sell me one for what i paid for this one ill take it!

:D

Rico
12-07-2005, 08:07 AM
I ran a LS axle at +2 for several years in XC and had no problems.

To bad it's sprocket hub is loose and it now sit's in a corner rusting because I"m not spending $135 to fix something that should be under warranty.

dantwo
12-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Sorry it is a wear item. On the warranty card just the axle is under warranty. You may just want to sell the axle on e-bay, I am sure someone will buy it and out it to good use again.

Rico
12-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Sorry it is a wear item. On the warranty card just the axle is under warranty. You may just want to sell the axle on e-bay, I am sure someone will buy it and out it to good use again.

If I go jump a 80 foot double and land crooked and bend it will the entire axle be replaced or do you put the POS hub back on the new axle???

I know of at least 3 people that have had their axles replaced under warranty because of a loose hub. One person had it replaced twice because of the loose hub. He's also a member of this website. IT's now loose again for the 3rd time. Dan we've argued about this issue several times now...:D It will always be considered a design flaw in my mind. You now put steel inserts in your hubs to keep this from happening I believe??? If not you should, to keep this from happening.

dantwo
12-07-2005, 09:52 AM
If I warranted the axle, it would not be because of a loose sprocket hub, it was because of bad splines on an axle. The steel inserts are so the seals don’t wear into the hub and allow water into the bearings. If you have bearings going out in your carrier, that will cause great amounts of heat. Which will cause the aluminum to expand and cause more wear on your hub. The aluminum hub is designed to put more power to the ground not to last a life time of riding. So it is not a design flaw, it is a wear item. So I hope you don’t toss your bike into the corner when it is time to replace your sprocket.

Dan @ LSR

Rico
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
So it is not a design flaw, it is a wear item. So I hope you don’t toss your bike into the corner when it is time to replace your sprocket.

Dan @ LSR

If the sprocket was made of aluminum I might....:o

Bearing carrier or bearings was not the problem, they get replaced even when they are not wore out.

I'll probably put a stock Honda sprocket hub on there to fix it and then sell it....:ermm:

benbuilt4u
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
If I warranted the axle, it would not be because of a loose sprocket hub, it was because of bad splines on an axle. The steel inserts are so the seals don’t wear into the hub and allow water into the bearings. If you have bearings going out in your carrier, that will cause great amounts of heat. Which will cause the aluminum to expand and cause more wear on your hub. The aluminum hub is designed to put more power to the ground not to last a life time of riding. So it is not a design flaw, it is a wear item. So I hope you don’t toss your bike into the corner when it is time to replace your sprocket.

Dan @ LSR

i cant see any way its gonna put down any more power. unless were talking thousands of a percent of RWHP. I would say its a poor design as well if after a few good rides it wobbles.

dantwo
12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
We try to save as much weight as we can. By itself it is not a lot of weight, but it dose add up. Plus he road it for 2 years in the XC's... If it was a few rides I would warranty it. Thanks for your thoughts.

raptorrider
12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Wanna save a few pounds? go on a diet. Wanna finish a race....use quality stuff. So is bending the axle from normal riding and racing normal wear? I say so. Axles are gonna bend, swingers are gonna break, shock springs wear out. But you have a warranty on the axle, and will replace it if it bends, but not if a hub wears out?

dantwo
12-07-2005, 02:25 PM
We have a one year warranty on the sprocket hub, not a life time warranty like the axle. So I am sorry if you think it is a bad part, but if he raced it for several years and finally worked loose. I am very proud of that part. It is made with aluminum and it dose weaken over time. Especially with the stop and go those sprocket hubs go through. So it is a wear item and their is nothing I can do about it.

raptorrider
12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Well Im not saying that you should or shouldnt warranty it....its your product. But, an axle will only weaken over time right? All the stress that an axle is put through, over and over and over, will only weaken the axle, and make it more prone to bending. So If you consider the sproket hub a "wear" item, I would think the whole axle would be also. The sprocket hub on my C-Dale isnt loose at all, not one bit....been on there since 2002. The sprocket hub on my raptor got loose because it was not a press fit item and once the locknut loosend up, it had play in it the eventually wore it.

bradley300
12-08-2005, 08:36 AM
seems like if the sprocket hub was pressed on like the stocker, there wouldnt be a problem. maybe LSR's isnt a bad dseign, but it does sound like an inferior one

benbuilt4u
12-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
seems like if the sprocket hub was pressed on like the stocker, there wouldnt be a problem. maybe LSR's isnt a bad dseign, but it does sound like an inferior one

so the new ones have steel inserts?

Rico
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by bradley300

Stock axles don't use aluminum hubs. I've seen 99 4ooex's running stock axles up to this day with not 1 single problem.

Thanks for your time Dan@LS...:cool:

benbuilt4u
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Stock axles don't use aluminum hubs. I've seen 99 4ooex's running stock axles up to this day with not 1 single problem.

Thanks for your time Dan@LS...:cool:

Honda has by far created reliable products in fact we wouldnt need axles at all if honda had designed the 400 ex to fly 80 foot doubles.

raptorrider
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Cannondale did!!

Actually, Im curious to hear how the axle fairs on the new Zuki......I know the "race ready" - or so called 450 Yami and Honda axles dont cut it. Its probally more about cost saving than making an axle that wont bend. Then...Once you have an axle that wont bend, its more apt to break. A bent axle is easier to controll than a broken one, and that takes some liability off the quad builders.