PDA

View Full Version : 450er starter/battery problems?

quad2xtreme
12-05-2005, 10:40 AM
I am hearing rumbling of a starting issue. Anyone else having issues starting? In cold weather?

I've read a few posts stating the engine turns over really slow.

If so, is it just that the battery is too small - meaning if you hook it up to a charger or jump start, it will fire right up? A larger battery like the 400ex battery would solve this.

Or, is it that the starter doesn't have the power to turn over the higher engine compression? This would be a bigger deal.

Thanks,

Jon

KRMit
12-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I've had mine almost 2 months and the starter's turned it over each and every time. It does sound weak, but it gets the job done. I'm not going to worry about it unless it actually becomes a problem. My only concern would be if you want to raise the compression above the stock 12:1.

quad2xtreme
12-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by KRMit
I've had mine almost 2 months and the starter's turned it over each and every time. It does sound weak, but it gets the job done. I'm not going to worry about it unless it actually becomes a problem. My only concern would be if you want to raise the compression above the stock 12:1.

Thanks for the feedback. I am hoping to stay totally stock except for maybe opening up the airbox. I don't even want to change out the stock exhaust. This is really one of the primary reasons I decided to go with the 450er versus upgrading the 400ex. I didn't want to go to a louder exhaust just to gain the additional power.

/Jon

KRMit
12-05-2005, 01:20 PM
That's about how I feel about it. I don't want to start modifying the motor and have reliability problems down the road. I'm getting the HRC kit and that's about all I plan to do to the motor.