PDA

View Full Version : questions concerning exhaust

kane47
12-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Hello,

I have a few questions concerning exhaust. I own an 05 450R, fully stock engine. I am interested in changing the stock pipe, for looks and sound mainly.
I am sort of new to the sport quad arena, so I am not really looking for any major performance gains as of yet. Mainly I am just looking for the supped up sound.
My questions are: If I add a pipe, is it necessary to re-jet, change air-filter etc.? Would it harm anything not to? Lastly, what is a good pipe with a mid-range sound level.

I am not looking to be hated by the neighbors, but I do want a better sound.

Thanks,

450rrider69
12-05-2005, 08:15 AM
If u want a loud pipe with some bottom and mid go with an hmf slip on. You will have to jet the carb to a 170 main jet. If u want to u can change the air filter. u dont have to but u can.

brink400
12-05-2005, 09:11 AM
You will have to rejet even if you take the baffle out of the stock exhaust. If you want a good pipe that wont leave you bored after a few months look into a rossier. I have one and love it. I know there are other great pipes out there but rossier is the only pipe ive had on my 450r so thats all I will comment on. But I did have a HMF on my YFZ and loved it as well. But I dont know what kind of power they put out when used on a Honda.

dirteater74
12-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Same thing he said, you will have to rejet if you put on a pipe because more air will be able to travel out of your exhaust therefore making a lean environment for your bike. Each pipe calls for different jetting instructions but most come with a recommened jet size so just go from there. You don't have to change your stock intake but most people do because the stock one is a little choked up, especially with that big spark screen it has inside of it. You can pick up a Uni filter for about $28 buck at most shops and they work excellent. Also if your not riding in wet areas then dump the airbox lid for more added power.

Mobile Dyno
12-05-2005, 09:34 AM
From my expirence with the 450r(and I have done alot with them) Here is my suggestion: (you said you were new to the sport so I will explain)

Rossier Full system: Why, It puts out Great power through the entire powerband, its installs in no time real nice fit, Looks good, Sounds good, and is cheaper than any of the other full system out there, Check with BK Performance(site sponsor) on price

You will need to rejet but do you plan on running the airbox lid on or off. I can help you with the jetting.

I would do an aftermarket air filter to help it breathe. My suggestion would be the TwinAir or Uni foam filter. The K&N Flows good but lets to much dirt in. With those two foam filters you get flow+protection.

With that Set up you will go from stock 34hp to around 39-40hp. When you go with cams and pistons, those will get over 40hp

With the jetting correct, changing componets won't Hurt anything

Hope This Helps...

kawasaki_ridah
12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
What about the end peice to the HRC kit?

OKTRX450R
12-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Well Said MD...I would also add the Pulse Charger and Ron Woods pipe are excellent choices as well as the Ross...

Originally posted by Mobile Dyno
From my expirence with the 450r(and I have done alot with them) Here is my suggestion: (you said you were new to the sport so I will explain)

Rossier Full system: Why, It puts out Great power through the entire powerband, its installs in no time real nice fit, Looks good, Sounds good, and is cheaper than any of the other full system out there, Check with BK Performance(site sponsor) on price

You will need to rejet but do you plan on running the airbox lid on or off. I can help you with the jetting.

I would do an aftermarket air filter to help it breathe. My suggestion would be the TwinAir or Uni foam filter. The K&N Flows good but lets to much dirt in. With those two foam filters you get flow+protection.

With that Set up you will go from stock 34hp to around 39-40hp. When you go with cams and pistons, those will get over 40hp

With the jetting correct, changing componets won't Hurt anything

Hope This Helps...

shamisc
12-05-2005, 12:58 PM
You can get a Dr D. slip-on. It does not require re-jetting unless you remove the airbox lid.

370kingR
12-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Mobile Dyno has literally seen them all at this point as we all bring him new pipes to try out on the dyno on our bikes. The rossier is a great great pipe and like he said, its not going to break the bank like some of these other pipes. Its not overly loudl ike you are concerned with either. Jetting is so darn easy i wouldnt worry about that. Its cheap, quick, and easy to jet it right.

tcr450r
12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah I would say go with the Rossier. It's way cheaper than most systems and puts out as much power or more power than all of the expensive exhausts. I have a yoshi on mine and paid about 600 bucks for it. This summer i recommended the rossier to one of my riding buddies cuz he didnt have alot of money and he went ahead and got it. It runs just as good as my yoshi, if not better.