PDA

View Full Version : Lectron Carbs What Mods Must Be Done

shook
06-26-2002, 10:51 AM
To run a lectron carb with a 400 ex thumb throttle what mods need to be done to run the 38 mm lectron and how hard is it to do and does anyone have any pics of this modification

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

06-26-2002, 11:26 AM
well first thing to do is buy some advil or tylenol cuz these lectrons are headaches...once ya get the pills swallowed you'll need to get a dremel tool and drill away the thumb throttle stop inside the throttle housing so you'll get full throw of the throttle, then you'll need to move your airbox assembly forward about 1 inch I beleive and half arse mount it so it doesn't move or break..you'll also have to mount the carb all cockeyed at a 1:00 angle,,, buy some longer vent tubes cuz the 2 inch overflow tubes ain't worth a pot ta piss in,,if ya don't you'll have gas all over the entire motor and what not,,go to the local store and buy some patiance cuz your gonna need that over the next 4 months,, thats about how long it'll take to get the carb fine tuned,,and see about an owner manual on it too,,cuz they need to be fully cleaned every other ride,,,I think that covers it.:D :D

ChadEXer
06-26-2002, 12:05 PM
After the headache is over be ready to enjoy the best damned carb ever built:D Aint nutn better!!

06-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Chad does have a point,,,somewhat. Once you do get it dialed in and get comfortable with the workings and disassembling the thing I think you'll like it,,,,,one thing I did not mention is it's designed for ON THE GAS riding,,no puttin around and it's not a trail freindly carb I don't think,,,dunes and mx racing mainly. But if your lookin into a carb to go faster I'm sure you know where the throttle is at on your quad..:D

DISHO1
06-26-2002, 06:39 PM
the lectron carb is not designed for only "on the gas riding" and yes it will idle if you do not use the meter rod from tom at tc racing uses in the carbs he sells. tom does good work, but get the lectron carb from Fast By Gast. i could not get my 36mm lectron dialed in with the meter rod from tom. the 1-3 meter rod FBG sent me works fine and it will idle. i do not know what meter rod tom uses and he will never tell. the throttle does not stick at about half throttle because it is a junk carb, but because it comes with the wrong type of throttle cable. if you pull on the throttle cable it will get stuck on top of the carb cover where the throttle cable goes in which is about half throttle. i was lucky to have a lt250r thumb throttle which will work but you will have to drill and tap it the same as the cable end.

alot of people know the lectron carbs are junk, but most of the time they have never had one :rolleyes:

mysticfalcon
06-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Can anyone with a lectron take a pic of the final setup. I have one that i plan on throwin ion for the winter cause all winter is a lot of wide open riding on the quebec trails and a lot of time for fiddeling with it and i'll keep my stock for trail riding in the sumer.

ChadEXer
06-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Tom grinds his own needles for the Lectron carbs. I met someone last weekend that has a Lectron carb on a 400EX,, stock motor (other than power kit) and he put his own needle in the carb and he said it runs awesome, hasnt had any problems at all. All he did was build a 1 inch spacer for the box and grind the throttle housing!!

06-27-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by DISHO1
the lectron carb is not designed for only "on the gas riding" and yes it will idle if you do not use the meter rod from tom at tc racing uses in the carbs he sells. tom does good work, but get the lectron carb from Fast By Gast. i could not get my 36mm lectron dialed in with the meter rod from tom. the 1-3 meter rod FBG sent me works fine and it will idle. i do not know what meter rod tom uses and he will never tell. the throttle does not stick at about half throttle because it is a junk carb, but because it comes with the wrong type of throttle cable. if you pull on the throttle cable it will get stuck on top of the carb cover where the throttle cable goes in which is about half throttle. i was lucky to have a lt250r thumb throttle which will work but you will have to drill and tap it the same as the cable end.

alot of people know the lectron carbs are junk, but most of the time they have never had one :rolleyes:

SO basically you have to reinvent the wheel to get it working properly,,,No thanks. I don't think getting a product to work should require parts from 5 different people across the US. Also,,,I don't really think there junk,,but if I'm gonna spend that kind of money the damn thing should work out of the box, with minor tuning.:cool: OH for those of you who are interested in lectron carbs..I beleive rocky ridge racing offers them for around $150 - $175 with the trade in of your stock 400ex carb.

TRX250R87
06-27-2002, 09:42 AM
I have had a 38mm Lectron with power jet for a couple years now and it gives me no trouble! At first it was difficult to get dialed in because I was used to jetting a Keihin carb. I think I'm running a # 5-2 metering rod and a #80 power jet(mikuni pilot).

Like I said, it has been good to me but I want to try something new if someone is interested in it. $125 shipped with brand new cable. Here is a picture...

http://newquads.homestead.com/files/Lectron.jpg

ERIC

DISHO1
06-27-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Rico

SO basically you have to reinvent the wheel to get it working properly,,,No thanks. I don't think getting a product to work should require parts from 5 different people across the US. Also,,,I don't really think there junk,,but if I'm gonna spend that kind of money the damn thing should work out of the box, with minor tuning.:cool: OH for those of you who are interested in lectron carbs..I beleive rocky ridge racing offers them for around $150 - $175 with the trade in of your stock 400ex carb.

i did not have to get parts from 5 different people across the US:confused: . any after market carb is going to take a little time to tune. none are as simple as "just bolt in on and go". getting the pump shot right on a FCR can take some time. i am not tring to start a flame, but do not buy a different carb if you do not want to go through the trouble of tuning it.