PDA

View Full Version : ok heres one for you real smart guys

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 10:52 PM
i have a 2000 model honda rancher 350 two wheel drive and it has electric shift first question is this when you try to put it in reverse it just wont go and the cable is moving like it should so i know there has to be a problom in the tranny but all the forward gears work just fine so any body ever been into one of these things my secound question is this this bike has great compression and runs like a new bike dont smoke its easy to start its perfect except for the fact i have had to take the oil fill plug out and machine a piece of stell to thread in to it and then i have it going into my air box i had to do this because if you put on the factory oil cap it will build up a bunch of crankcase pressure and it will pump all of the oil out of the motor and pump it right into the air box what would cause this as long as it is vented it works great so has anyone ever seen anything like this

Honda5
12-05-2005, 03:10 AM
the reverse problem is one of three things, first and most likely a part called the angle sensor, second the cdi (they have messed up before and just lost reverse, third and not likely the cable might need to be adjusted. as for the oil problem either the case isn't venting i.e. mud or pinched vent line. or could it be over filled?

JOPLINGUY
12-05-2005, 06:15 AM
i know it is not over filled on oil i have looked all over for a vent ohose on this motor and cant even find one the only vent hose i can find is the one one the right side of the motor about half way up and it vents into the air box that one i know isnt pluged because that is the one that fills the air box with oil the next problom i have discovered is that the shift lever on the right side that is supposed to be for emergency use if the electric shift quits when you pull on that shaft you can pull it right out of the motor i bought a new one and it looks the same

Honda5
12-05-2005, 06:54 AM
sounds like an internal problem if the shift shaft comes out. sorry I can't help.

JOPLINGUY
12-05-2005, 06:59 AM
have you ever been inside one of these things how hard is it to work on i was told you have to remove the motor but thats not a big deal it looks like a guy could remove the side case and be there am i right or wrong on this

jjohnst03
12-05-2005, 08:03 AM
The reverse on my old rancher used to go out like that. There is a wire close to the pull start housing. If that wire is loose it will not go into reverse. When I tightened that screw up the reverse started working like a charm again.

My rancher also put a little oil into the airbox. Every rancher I have seen has done that. And all of my friends rode them so I have seen a few.