PDA

View Full Version : how do i hook up my cdi and kill switch

Raptor350yamaha
12-04-2005, 07:46 PM
I can't figure out how to hook up my Hi-rev cdi to my pro design kill switch. When i hook it up it will start but the kill switch doesnt work and it wont shut off with the key or off switch so i have been using my stock one.

BradLoomis
12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Polaris kill switches use the kill switch to connect the CDI together to allow it to run. Think of the switch like a light switch that when you have the tether attached it allows electricity to flow though the kill switch to allow the CDI to work. When you pull the tether it will turn off or disconnect the switch and stop all electricity.

A Pro Design works exactly opposite and is disconnected from the CDI when the bike is running, it is wired to the CDI and a good ground on the frame, and when the tether is pulled it will connect with the CDI and take the signal and ground it to the frame killing the motor.

There are also CDI's that work with both systems. The don't interchange unless you modify the wiring and they usaully don't last as long when mixed because they weren't designed that way.

I do believe that it is either Gunnars or Pro Design that offers both a (N.O. normally open, Polaris) and a (N.C. normally closed, Kasea) style switch.

If you can unplug your stock CDI and plug in your aftermarket one and leave your stock kill switch alone and the bike runs, then just exchange your kill swich.

If the bike doesn't run then you have the wrong CDI and exchange it, if possible.

Hope this helps.

mxdad
12-05-2005, 12:22 PM
The only way to turn off my son's quad is by pulling the tether. The key and kill switches have to be on for the quad to start but you can hit the kill switch or turn off the key and the quad will still run. At first I didn't like it but then I realized that my son can never hit the kill switch by accident and kill the quad during a race. You just have to get a different one or get used to pulling the tether to turn off the quad. I made my son very aware of this so he knows that if he ever gets in trouble he has to pull the tether to shut it down.

BradLoomis
12-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I remove all of the electrical from the bikes and kick start all of the bikes in the morning, once the bikes are warm my boys can start them by themselves. There are only 5 wires when you do this so troubleshooting becomes rather easy. But by using the kill switch all the time it means that it will always work when it is really needed in an emergency. Pro Design style kill switches hold the contacts apart when the motor is running and when the tether is pulled, the ends contact each other to ground out the bike. But if the aren't used often they will fill up with dirt and grime and won't work at all until they are torn apart and cleaned. I did the same as MX Dad and taught the boys to pull the tether when trouble arises.

maggiesboy
12-07-2005, 08:46 AM
I also taught my boys to pull the tether when the bike needs to stop. One other thing, I shortened the tethers for both kids on the 50's. Those things are too long from the factory for lil ones on lil bikes. I reswedged the loop on the clip end so it is only 1/3 the length of the stock tether cord.