PDA

View Full Version : bigger Carb???

rhandw69
06-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok, is there anyone out there who can give some insight on the 39mm carb. My dilema is whether or not its worth the money for a 416. I hear no,, i hear yes. So what i want to hear is from someone who has one or who has ridden one. What will I gain, and what will I lose (if anything!).

86atc250r
06-26-2002, 10:02 AM
With the FCR, the gain seems to be everywhere.

With my current setup which includes a GT Thunder cam, 87mm (416 piston), and an FCR 39 - my 400EX, even with heavy XC tires, reinforced wheels, full skids, chromoly swingarm, etc... will keep up with my cannibal in a straight drag - not bad.....

The bad part about the FCR is it will take some tuning to make it right, but if you don't mind playing with a carb (a requirement if you want to change carbs), then go for it....

The only other bad thing I can think of with the FCR is, it's a streetbike carb and doesn't have the venting necessary to keep it from loading up when doing low speed, exteneded wheelies - if you're hard on the power it does fine, but if you're hanging out at the balance point, it will blubber some.

This could likely be corrected, but for me it hasn't been worth the effort. If a YZF or DRZ version of this carb would fit, then that would likely be the easiest cure.