PDA

View Full Version : Oil system messed up?

2004exrider
12-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm completely stumped. I changed my oil a while back and put the right amount back in. I ran it, and checked it to be sure, it was perfect. Well today i was out riding and came back and checked the oil before i put it away, holy crap the oil was to the top and a little bit poured out. So i started it back up and rode it to the end of the driveway and back and it was still the same. It's done this a couple of times before and the next time i rode it it was at the normal level again. It looks like someone put like a half of quart in it? Has anyone else had this problem before, or know what is causing it? Any information will be GREATLY appreciated.

Jimmy

2004exrider
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
bump

ATC350X 85
12-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Sounds like youre not using the correct procedure to check the oil. You are suppose to let it idle on level ground for approx 5 minutes and then immediately check it. I believe they take 1.9 quarts total with a filter change.

2004exrider
12-04-2005, 07:48 PM
its got the right amount in it, im just wondering why it is fine 99% of the time but a couple times now it has done that?

Jimmy

yamablaster24
12-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Today i did exactly that, let it idle then checked it...
it boiled out and all over. I then checked it and it was fine.

NacsMXer
12-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeah the motor will spew oil out of the breather tube on the valve cover if it is overfilled.

bullet3z
12-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Not to sound crazy but, are you sure you got all of the old oil out before adding the new oil?

I would follow the factory manual and change the oil again to make sure you did it right.

2004exrider
12-05-2005, 08:09 AM
yeah, i made sure to drain all the oil. i know its all out, Dont really want to drain the oil yet i paid about $9 a quart for it:(

Jimmy

duke416ex
12-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Did you drain the motor and the tank? You might drain it out and just drain it in a really really clean container and then strain it before you put it back in. Mine never did this in the five years I had it.

deathwishracing
12-12-2005, 09:50 AM
I am having the exact same problem. It's almost like the oil system is backing sometimes, but not all the time. I have cleaned my strainer. and I am stumped.

12-14-2005, 09:16 AM
i had the problum but it was cuz i only drained the oil tank and for got about the engine.

jamienlogan
12-14-2005, 11:45 AM
you shouldnt have to drain the tank if you drain the engine right or am i wrong, b/c shouldnt the oil in the tank drain down.

NacsMXer
12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by jamienlogan
you shouldnt have to drain the tank if you drain the engine right or am i wrong, b/c shouldnt the oil in the tank drain down.

Not necessarily. You should be draining both the oil tank and the crankcase when you do your oil changes. If you just drain the crankcase like you said, the oil isn't going to automatically flow from the oil tank into the engine. The engine's oil pump allows the oil in the tank to be drawn into the motor when it is running. So if the motor is not running, then the oil in the tank will not go anywhere because the pump isn't active. You aren't getting all the old oil out if you just drain one or the other, you need to drain both ;) :)

jamienlogan
12-15-2005, 04:53 PM
so why when I change my oil the dip stick says full than I drain the engine and there is none on the dip stick. So it has to go somewhere. I realize it is not all going to get out but as often as your supposed to change the oil I dont think that little bit is going to matter, thats what a oil filter is used for.

NacsMXer
12-15-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know why I thought that, but you're right that would happen. It certainly would not hurt the engine either. It seems to drain better when you pull both drain plugs out. The more old oil out, the better.

jak1389
12-15-2005, 06:39 PM
ok try this, clean the screen on the inside of the tank. it could be clogged. if oil is being pumped into the tank from the motor but can not go out since the screen is blocked it will over flow. try that and let us know if that is your problem.

brian250racer
12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jak1389
ok try this, clean the screen on the inside of the tank. it could be clogged. if oil is being pumped into the tank from the motor but can not go out since the screen is blocked it will over flow. try that and let us know if that is your problem.

That's what I was thinking. My wifes 440 does the same, oil level checks fine, then after a certain amount of riding, it will overflow.

2004exrider
12-16-2005, 07:11 PM
well, i checked it a while back and it isnt doing it anymore. I let it idle for about 3-5 minutes then checked it, it was good:). Im thinkin it did that just because i got done riding it and i immediately checked. my own mistake:chinese:

Jimmy

brian250racer
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
***Update****

My wifes 400ex was doing the same thing, and here's what I found wrong: If it does it again pull off the clutch cover and remove the oil pump. On the pump there is a pressure spring that I found was locked (didn't move freely lik it's supposed to) this was not letting the motor build up any oil pressure, it was just pumping everything back to the oil tank instead of keeping it in the motor. This one ended up locking up the crankshaft, thankfully that's the only thing damaged!!! If you experience the problem again, make sure you check this..