PDA

View Full Version : about to torch this honda

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 12:18 PM
ok guys does any one have any ideas on how to time this piece of **** i had to remove the top half of the motor to replace the blown head gasket and i have changed the timing around 20 plus times every time it looks right the cam lobes are facing down the the marks on the cam sprocket are strait across and the t on the fly wheel is lined up with the mark in the case so why wont this damm thing run sure wish i had not traded a 2 stroke for a 4 stroke

nakomis0
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Well its simple as h@ll and it sounds like you did it right.

Maybe your doing it right and something else is the problem. Why do you think the timings off?

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 12:59 PM
i am guessing the timing is off because when you try to start it all it does is back fire i have had this thing apart at least 30 times now and i am about to just burn it and count my loses i have built several motors for friends and never had a problom does anyone have any ideas for me some guy talked about a decompression plunger i dont see any thing like that any where

ZeroLogic
12-04-2005, 02:15 PM
bad gas?
did you try a different spark plug?
clean your carb and filter

h400exrydr
12-04-2005, 02:21 PM
you are probably not getting gas or something rather simple, sounds like u did all the timing right, try draining the gas, put in new, clean air filter and carb, make sure gas is on, make sure that all of ur wires are hooked up right check ground connection, basically all that stuff could possibly b it. Good Luck!!

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I HAVE CHANGED THE GAS AND PUT IN SUPER HIGH OCTANE FUEL 100+ I HAVE CHANGED THE TIMING UP AND BACK A TOOTH AT A TIME FOR A COUPLE OF TEETH ALL WIRING IS HOOKED UP RIGHT AS FAR AS I CAN TELL HELL IT WONT EVEN START ON EITHER I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND I CAN BUILD A 8 SECOUND DRAG CAR BUT I CANT EVEN MAKE THIS THING START I MUST BE STUPID ANY ONE CLOSE TO JOPLIN MISSOURI I WILL BRING THE BIKE TO YOU

SHADETREE101
12-04-2005, 04:37 PM
if you would bring it to arnold mo. i can hook you up. i love working on these. bring it to me no charge for a exriders.

ZeroLogic
12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
are you sure its a honda?:macho

are you getting enough gas? check the pistion and down the to the connecting rod for the pistion see if the pistion is still good check the valves and seals is it getting oil?

nakomis0
12-04-2005, 05:55 PM
if its a stock cam and you dont have the decompression spring in the no its not going to work.

So is it a stock cam?

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 06:05 PM
I AM NOT SURE IF ITS A STOCK CAM OR NOT I DO KNOW THAT IT HAS THE 440 KIT INSTALLED AND IT HAS HIGH COMPRESSION BUT AS FAR AS THE CAM GOES IM NOT SURE WHAT IT IS AND WHAT AND WHERE IS THIS DECOMPRESSION SPRING LOCATED AND WHAT DEOS IT LOOK LIKE

Barney
12-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I take it you don't have a shop manual? Ok the Decompression
part is on the cam between The last lobe and the flang that
holdes the cam gear. But there is a spring an plunger that is
under the decompressor cam lobe that you don't want to loss.
If you have to go to service Honda web site an look at parts
section and it well show the parts i'm talking about. This is just a
start there more to this.

400exrider707
12-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Its right in the head near the cam sprocket. Its small and is recessed into the head. If you have an aftermarket cam then there wont be a decompression mechanism on the cam. If the cam has a decompression mechanism then it is a stock cam and you will find the plunger and spring as the mechanism rides right onto it. How many teeth have you offset the cam by back and forth? It's possible that you bent a valve and are not getting compression now. Do a compression check.

86-250Rnut
12-04-2005, 08:00 PM
bad cam?
Mitch:macho

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 08:10 PM
i do think its a stock cam where can i go on the web to get a picture of this decompression thing it has lots of compression it has 180 pounds of compression so where to guys walk me through this

Barney
12-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok go to top of the page click on LINKS go to that page Go to
Service Honda Click on it . Go to parts section and look at cam
an valve train. Or Honda shop Manual 7-8.

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 08:46 PM
i dont remember any thing like that i am gonna go to the shop in a few minutes and look when i took the cam out to get to the head bolts would those springs flew out do they have lots of pressure on them i will post what i find in about 15 or 20 minutes

Chino886
12-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by JOPLINGUY
i dont remember any thing like that i am gonna go to the shop in a few minutes and look when i took the cam out to get to the head bolts would those springs flew out do they have lots of pressure on them i will post what i find in about 15 or 20 minutes

no you have to take them out, I am guessing if you have a 440, you are not running a stock cam...

JOEX
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
#31 is the spring #32 is the plunger....

JOPLINGUY
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
the red bomb is alive and running for a 4 stroke it seems to be pretty damm fast i took all the top off again and sure enough the damm little plunger was missing now i was real worried because if its missing where did it go so i went to the bench and sure enough there it was i put it back in set the timing and it fired right up i have found the paper work and this bike does have the 440 kit installed and it has a yoshi titinum pipe on it but with stock cam why and the hell would you do that so what cam would you all suggest for this bike and how much would it actually help thanks for all of you who have helped me on this soon as i get a new cam in this one i will be having you all help me build up my new 450r that i will be getting the first of january

Barney
12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
There's a lot of good cams out that are dope inns, I'm running
a old stag2 works out for me but call Colby at C&D and he can line you out. Also look at F.A.G. at the top of the page and there
is dimentions for all of them I think.

zeppelin
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
go ahead call me an idiot, but you do have the killswitch on ... right?

Honda TRX250ex
12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
go ahead call me an idiot, but you do have the killswitch on ... right?
rofl
on my 250x i couldent figure out why it wouldent starrt and tryed everything and it turns out that the gas needs to be on to start
go fig!:macho

BSTURDIVANT
12-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Hot cam stage 1!!!!! but be sure to remove plunger and spring!

JOPLINGUY
12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
i rode the red bomb tonight and it runs like a scalded dog i raced my friend who has a stock raptor 660 and it kicked his *** so the old honda does run damm good i have about 2000 maybe 3000 to play with what would make this thing even faster it has the 440 kit and a nice yoshi pipe what is the best bang for the buck i can do to this bike i do alot of trail riding but it does see lots of chat and sand in the summer months

jwick07
12-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Did you change the cam yet that is a great place for the power gains then add a new rev box with the cam change, you could change the gearing a little, to make it pull harder out of corners drop down one tooth on the front sprocket., Sorry I did not pay enough attention to what your mods were but if you only have a slip on add the full head pipe and rejet too. Then a cooler bike makes more power, so add a larger oil tank and cooler and shrouds. Port and polish job with a new carb, before long you'll be burning up clutches so throw in a Hinson. A JE High comp piston. I run 11.5:1 so I dont need race fule. You could do all of these changes for what you want to spend because there are MILLIONS of 400ex parts out there now used in great condition right here in the classified section.

hondaman2001
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Make sure that the piston is up as far as it will go i had the same problem and then i relized the piston was up all the way and as soon as i got it up and did it it worked great

wilkin250r
12-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JOPLINGUY
what would make this thing even faster it has the 440 kit and a nice yoshi pipe what is the best bang for the buck i can do to this bike

If you were having problems with the decompression, I figure it's probably the stock cam. I believe most aftermarket cams remove the decompression mechanism.

And, if it has the stock cam, I assume it probably hasn't had any headwork done. That 440 is a decent jump in displacement, and requires more air. If it's power mods you're looking for, I suggest porting and a good cam. I bet you pick up 5HP on the top end by letting it breath.

What kind of suspension are you running? Even just riding around with your budies, you would be surprised what good suspension will do for you!

JOPLINGUY
12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
just installed new stage 2 cam and had my buddy who builds nascar motors port the hell out of the head seems to be a big gain now i think i need lots of suspension up grades it is fast but i think it is spinning way to much i would like to get more power to the dirt and what is the best shocks to run i know there high as hell but whats the best i am a big guy and i jump this bike alot i ride it like i stole it lol