PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Racing cam?

USAF Dirtboy
12-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Anbody ever install a Sparks Racing cam in there 450r and if so what were the powergains like.

TrxMxRacer
12-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I installed the sparks drop in cam and seen a big improvment it seems to hit harder on the bottom then pulls hard through the bottom to mid range.I think its well worth the money.

Ridin' Jesse
12-04-2005, 07:01 PM
How much are they? And arent they almost the same as an 02 CRF Cam?

cletusEX
12-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse
How much are they? And arent they almost the same as an 02 CRF Cam?

I've ridden both and they are definitely not the same. I don't know the specs on each but you can tell a difference from riding them. Sparks is a more midrange cam while the 02 crf is mostly mid to top. The sparks seems to sign off earlier where as the 02 crf screams up top.

shamisc
12-04-2005, 08:29 PM
The Sparks drop-in IS the same cam as the 02 CRF! The CRF cam is much cheaper through servicehonda.com . I beleive it was $165 shipped to the door. The CRF has alot of low-end - mid-range torque unlike the HRC. The HRC is mostly a top-end cam! Sparks X-4 cam is a whole new ball game, but it's just a Megacycle X2 cam.:bandit:

cletusEX
12-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
The Sparks drop-in IS the same cam as the 02 CRF! The CRF cam is much cheaper through servicehonda.com . I beleive it was $165 shipped to the door. The CRF has alot of low-end - mid-range torque unlike the HRC. The HRC is mostly a top-end cam! Sparks X-4 cam is a whole new ball game, but it's just a Megacycle X2 cam.:bandit:

All I know is when I get off my brothers 450r with the 02 cam and get on my buddies 450r with the sparks drop in cam they feel totally different. Both motors are otherwise stock with HMF exhausts. I have heard people say that the first Sparks cams where 02 cams, but all I can go buy is what I have ridden. Shamisc have you ridden both cams?

250RXCrider
12-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I have the Sparks Aggressive Cam and have been very happy with the power. It is more of a midrange cam and does not have the top end pull of a HRC or CRF cam.

pred67
12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
is the crf cam a drop in like the hrc

shamisc
12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
All I know is when I get off my brothers 450r with the 02 cam and get on my buddies 450r with the sparks drop in cam they feel totally different. Both motors are otherwise stock with HMF exhausts. I have heard people say that the first Sparks cams where 02 cams, but all I can go buy is what I have ridden. Shamisc have you ridden both cams?

I have both cams! I bought the Sparks in Feb. for my brothers R. I bought my '02 CRF in March. I have no way to measure the duration, but the lift of the cams are exactly the same. I heard Sparks is using the '05 CRF as his aggressive drop-in now, but I'm not sure of that. I can tell you that every bike is different, even if they have the same mods. You can buy two new 450R's off the show room floor and one is going to be faster and feel stronger than the other! No two bikes are exactly the same!:macho

shamisc
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by pred67
is the crf cam a drop in like the hrc

Yes, but you should always check your clearances!;)

eagertorace
12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
I have both cams! I bought the Sparks in Feb. for my brothers R. I bought my '02 CRF in March. I have no way to measure the duration, but the lift of the cams are exactly the same. I heard Sparks is using the '05 CRF as his aggressive drop-in now, but I'm not sure of that. I can tell you that every bike is different, even if they have the same mods. You can buy two new 450R's off the show room floor and one is going to be faster and feel stronger than the other! No two bikes are exactly the same!:macho

I heard that an 06 hrc cam is the same as an 05crf cam, which has alot of bottom and midrange and still pulls on top. Exactly what I'm feeling with mine!

shamisc
12-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
I heard that an 06 hrc cam is the same as an 05crf cam, which has alot of bottom and midrange and still pulls on top. Exactly what I'm feeling with mine!

It may be.:confused: I also heard that, but can't confirm it.