PDA

View Full Version : oil in airbox

tcr450r
12-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Everytime i get done riding i take off my seat and my airbox has the whole bottom full of oil. I believe that this oil comes in through the tube on the side of my airbox and that tube comes from the motor. What is the point of this tube and if i wanted to could i plug it or something, it really sucks cleaning up oil every couple of hours. Also, is this motor oil or tranny oil? Thanks for anything guys.

450Redrider5
12-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I think that happens when you have too much oil in the transmition

tcr450r
12-04-2005, 03:16 PM
so do you think that eventually the oil will stop flowing out of that tube like it is and that would mean that my tranny oil level is where it should be?

12-04-2005, 05:25 PM
this is a breather and is connected to the crank side and the trany side. i had this prob 1nce when i overfilled the cranck side.

450Redrider5
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Heres a website that shows you how to change your oil and everything so its all at the right levels
http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/

tcr450r
12-04-2005, 07:25 PM
hey thanks for input and for that website. It is very helpful with the pics and all. But everything that guy on the site did i did exactly the same(except blowing through the tube). I don't know how i could have over filled. Is there anything else that could possibly be wrong, with my motor even? I am desperate to figure this out. Now my carb is sucking in the excess oil in my filter and im smoking black. Help.

12-04-2005, 08:31 PM
You better get that thing to a mechanic. Most likely your right side main bearing has failed and took out the seal between the transmission and crankcase. Check your transmission and see if it is low.

tcr450r
12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I called my dealer today and I'm going to let them handle it. It's kind of hard to tell exactly whats wrong without going into the motor. Ill be hauling it up there this week. Thanks, Tom.

12-06-2005, 05:25 AM
If your main crank bearing is gone then you can easily check it without getting into the motor. Just remove the allen head plug on the right side of the motor. There will be another allen head bolt that is offset from the plug hole behind the cap you just removed. Try to move that bolt up and down and forward and back. If it moves at all, then you main crank bearing has failed!

tcr450r
12-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I didnt no you could do that, I guess I will give that a try tonight. Thanks for that. I kind of hope it is that so that it will be covered under warranty. I called my dealer and he told me that he thinks i am beating my valve into my head. The catch is that if it is something that was my fault. I have to pay for their check up and then more if i want it fixed. My dealer charges 60 bucks an hour labor. I don't no if i want to run the risk of having them check it and it be something I did. Then they'll stick me with atleast 120 for just a check up. But anyways, thanks alot for the help. If anyone else has an idea of what could be wrong please let me know.

Tom

tcr450r
12-06-2005, 03:29 PM
I think I made a stupid mistake.

I just went out to the garage to try out ab****'s idea and I unlatched the seat to see how much oil was in my box from the ride home from my buddies the other night since I never checked wen i got home it was too late. There was nothing. When i was riding at my buddies house we went for about a half hour ride, came back to his polar barn and my airbox had oil in it. I cleaned it out and I pulled the tube on the side of the airbox to make sure that the oil was coming from there and realized that the tube wasn't pushed all the way up into my filter. So i pushed it in so it was pretty snug up against the filter. Do you guys think that since this hose had no resistance from the filter,(before i pushed it up against the filter), thats y it was spitting oil so easily?????

12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
No, there shouldn't be any oil in there regardless! check your main crank bearings and the transmission oil level before you ride it again.

tcr450r
12-07-2005, 06:27 AM
ok will do. Thanks everyone for help.

Tom

OKTRX450R
12-07-2005, 07:17 AM
I have seen this once before and we had the guy take the airbox out, clean it, and clean all the breather hoses and the breather T. Then drill out the stock breather T to be like the HRC...fixed his problem. We figure it was clogged somewhere and caused too much pressure to build up and blow.

Do you have the HRC breather T?

Stock breather T? If stock, have you drilled it out?

tcr450r
12-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I have the stock breather T and no I haven't drilled it. Was his clogged at the T? Anyways, no I haven't drilled or cleaned it. I was supposed to take it up to the dealer today but I think I'm going to try a few more things yet.

OKTRX450R
12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Not sure where it was clogged...we had him pull all the hoses and clean them all and then we drilled the T out for him...he put it back together and no more puking...

Not sure if that is what is wrong with yours but about 20 minutes worth of work and you will know!

tcr450r
12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah thanks for the advice, I am definitely going to try that and check my crank bearing before taking it in. Whatever I can do to save money. Thanks, tom