PDA

View Full Version : '02 CR 250r carb, will it work on a R?

350ROOST
12-03-2005, 05:58 PM
So I've got this nice carb here and was wondering if it would be a good replacement / step up for my stock carb? It is a TMX mikuni carb I am not sure the size, havent measured it yet, but it must be larger than the stock '86 carb.

Any input?

Tom TRX250R
12-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I have heard of them being used and the ppl being pleased with it from stock, I am not too familar with Mikuni carbs I have always used Keihin in the past. I am pretty sure Jeremy (JTRtrx250R) off this site is using that carb. Jeremy if you would chime in to put your advice about the carb.

JTRtrx250r
12-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I dont run a TMX, just ran the TM's (which I really like) but the TMX is newer and Ive heard nothing but good things about them. The biggest prob w/ Mik's is the need of tools to make any changes(both TM and TMX's) opposed to Keihin carbs, and if I remember right.. the TMX is a tad shorter than the Keihins(might need a reedcage spacer etc)

Mikuni's are more fine tunable ..but more of a hassle to do so b/c it needs a screwdriver to open up

Roost... I say give it a try if its off a CR. Sometimes the slide (cut-away) is diffrent and so is the float-valve (say for use w/ a fuel pump etc) but straight off the bike.. it shouldnt be too far off, you might find that you'll need to make jetting changes thru-out the range

BUT... I'll shut up now and let someone running the full-on TMX carb chime in w/ their jetting specs

350ROOST
12-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Tom, JTR, thanks for the input.

Jtr, I was thinking along the same lines, if its off the dirtbike it shouldent be too far off, especially with a pipe and cr reedcage.

I also have never used a mikuni carb, I have always ran keihin's and love them, but I got this thing for real cheap. Hell, I got the hole damn motor, ignition, and carb for $250. so I figure its worth the try, its got to be better than stock.

Does anyone out there have a TMX on their R?

thanks again.

snapon
12-04-2005, 12:47 PM
If you want info on this you can call ESR about it. They sell the TMX's for use on the 250R. They also make an adapter for the airbox side of the carb. I dont know if the adapter is needed or not to install it though. They are real helpful and great people to deal with.

snapon
12-04-2005, 12:49 PM
http://www.esr250.com/carburetors.htm#TMX

check out this page for their sales pitch on the topic.

350ROOST
12-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Thats some friggen awsome news!!! Man Im so stoked I came up on this dirtbike motor.

So it seems I need to call esr and pick up that spacer ring that they sell for the tmx, and its all good.

thanks for the link snapon. ( hay, are you a driver?)

beerock
12-05-2005, 01:24 AM
please tell me your 2 350's have large carbs on them?

350ROOST
12-05-2005, 10:50 AM
C'mon Beerock, they both have 39mm keihins.

This carb is for the stocker, or the not to be stock for too much longer R.

I know its a shame to start moding a perfectly stock quad on the original bore, but I'm over that now. I'm thinking just the basics, pipe, carb, reeds, and a k&n; then leave everything else stock.

snapon
12-05-2005, 09:04 PM
350ROST no I'm not a driver but I do work for SnapOn as a field service tech.

350ROOST
12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
snapon, its a small world, my company makes alot of tools for Snap-on.

A service tech huh, what does a service tech do for a tool mfg? Are you a technician for the technology side, diognostics equip. etc?