PDA

View Full Version : Last Question about Top End rebuild

Sjorge450R
12-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Okay, so I have rode my 300ex for the last time this year and it is time for a top end rebuild and I just have a final question.

Some of you have told me to go with a 297 (.080) bore wiseco 11:1 piston. I just have one question. What if I suck dirt into the head or something. Wont I have to get it re-sleeved. So I was wondering how much of a difference there will be between the .080 piston and the one below it.

Also just anything else I should look into. I get my service manual this week and thats when I will start tearing it down.

Thanks
Steve

ZeroLogic
12-03-2005, 06:29 PM
yes you would have to resleeve it i dont think there would be much of a big difference if you go wit the size below it

Cody_300ex
12-04-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
yes you would have to resleeve it i dont think there would be much of a big difference if you go wit the size below it

OMFG, How many times have I got to say this? .080 is not the biggest you can go on a 300ex stock sleeve .120 is which is made by arias and 305cc. In all respect please research something before you tell someine false info. JMO

Sjorge450R
12-04-2005, 05:42 AM
yeah, but I would have to resleeve because I have to stay below 300. I am probaly going to go with the size below it then just to be safe. Then if I do suck dirt, i can bore it up to .080

ZeroLogic
12-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
OMFG, How many times have I got to say this? .080 is not the biggest you can go on a 300ex stock sleeve .120 is which is made by arias and 305cc. In all respect please research something before you tell someine false info. JMO

OMFG how many time do i have to tell you to read a post in other post he said he wanted to stay below 300 cause he wants to race :rolleyes: why dont you take your advice and stop flaming

Cody_300ex
12-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
yeah, but I would have to resleeve because I have to stay below 300. I am probaly going to go with the size below it then just to be safe. Then if I do suck dirt, i can bore it up to .080

If it were me I woulnt be to worried about being 5cc's over the limit, now if you were racing a national event it may be a little different. Also im not flaming, your just mad you don't know jack chit about quads, welcome to my ignore list.:ermm:

Sjorge450R
12-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Since you two are just arguing with each other, i am just going to call hetricks sometime this week and see what their opinion is. lil 300exkid you have helped me out as far as what I need so thanks.

Cody_300ex
12-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Since you two are just arguing with each other, i am just going to call hetricks sometime this week and see what their opinion is. lil 300exkid you have helped me out as far as what I need so thanks.

No problem, I might be sending my head to hetricks for a port&polish and some valve work, I've heard good things about them. If your really worried about suckin dirt in (which i wouldnt be). I would run a foam UNI or Twin Air, and a outwears if your REALLY worried. Just try to change filters every race, keep it well oiled, and run your air box lid. Also make sure your air boot is on well also, and clean all the dirt and mud away from spark plug hole before you pull it out. Just some tips.... Don't worry bout me arguing with him anymore I put him and his brother on my ignore list. :cool:

ZeroLogic
12-04-2005, 12:26 PM
i heard if you put grease around the air boot it makes a better seal

i had a k and n air filter on my 300ex and it sucked in fine dirt then i swiched to a UNI filter and no dirt whatsoever

i didnt notice that much of a power loss cause of the swich

Honda TRX250ex
12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Okay, so I have rode my 300ex for the last time this year and it is time for a top end rebuild and I just have a final question.

Some of you have told me to go with a 297 (.080) bore wiseco 11:1 piston. I just have one question. What if I suck dirt into the head or something. Wont I have to get it re-sleeved. So I was wondering how much of a difference there will be between the .080 piston and the one below it.

Also just anything else I should look into. I get my service manual this week and thats when I will start tearing it down.

Thanks
Steve
i had my 250x suck in dirt threw the air hose after we rebuilt it last year than my dad gave up on it and bought my brother a 300ex so i took over it

i wouldent over tighen the ring thingys that connect the air box hose to the carb because it will dent in and will suck in dirt and ever ride i would check it too just to make sure and i would check the air filter to and make sure there arnet any holes in it and it also will f*ck up your needle on your carb too
just some advice
good luck

Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
No problem, I might be sending my head to hetricks for a port&polish and some valve work, I've heard good things about them. If your really worried about suckin dirt in (which i wouldnt be). I would run a foam UNI or Twin Air, and a outwears if your REALLY worried. Just try to change filters every race, keep it well oiled, and run your air box lid. Also make sure your air boot is on well also, and clean all the dirt and mud away from spark plug hole before you pull it out. Just some tips.... Don't worry bout me arguing with him anymore I put him and his brother on my ignore list. :cool:
THANK GOD!

bwamos
12-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
i heard if you put grease around the air boot it makes a better seal

i had a k and n air filter on my 300ex and it sucked in fine dirt then i swiched to a UNI filter and no dirt whatsoever

i didnt notice that much of a power loss cause of the swich

No argument here, but I find that putting grease on the collar of the filter on my K&N only made it fall off easier. I also have been running a K&N on my 330ex for 6 years, and 2 before that at the stock bore. No issues with "too much" dirt in the motor. My rings are still going strong. Still well within spec on the leakdown test.

If you use a K&N use the hairspray style bottle of filter oil, not the shampoo style (worthless, too hard not to miss spots, and makes a huge mess to boot).

Sjorge450R
12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
yeah i do use the aerosol can of oil. Next time i order parts. (piston, gaskets, ect) i will get a pre filter. Its going to be getting torn down within the next couple of days so that I can send the cycleder off to get bored.

ZeroLogic
12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
No argument here, but I find that putting grease on the collar of the filter on my K&N only made it fall off easier. I also have been running a K&N on my 330ex for 6 years, and 2 before that at the stock bore. No issues with "too much" dirt in the motor. My rings are still going strong. Still well within spec on the leakdown test.

If you use a K&N use the hairspray style bottle of filter oil, not the shampoo style (worthless, too hard not to miss spots, and makes a huge mess to boot).

i was reading on here that people done it and it helped so yea lol

i took my n and n off cause i didnt want to take the chance of having to rebuild the engine also