PDA

View Full Version : yukon tranny gears?

jas250r
12-03-2005, 12:42 PM
There is yukon tranny gears on ebay for sale, at what seems to be a good price the item #is 4595242297 are these what you buy from baldwin racing for 700+. The description says 2 thru 6 five piece set, what about the counter shaft gears? If these are heavy duty what do you do on the counter shaft side? I'am very curious because i just broke 2nd gear and 2 others have enough wear that i should replace, and was debating on replacing the whole tranny minus the shafts, forks, drum

beerock
12-03-2005, 12:54 PM
those are for the countershaft. The mainshaft uses the oem gears

use the link to the item, its easier

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4595242297&fromMakeTrack=true

jas250r
12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I forgot to mention the other option of replacing all the gears and have them cryoed, but wouldn't this make the gears brittle, strong as **** but miss a gear,and maybe it shatters? need them to hold up to a future 330pv or a 350pv topend.

beerock
12-03-2005, 01:00 PM
the yukons are alot stronger then being cyroed, but, you could get the yukon set and cyro all the remaining gears. that would be the strongest setup. Unless you can find someone who makes a full set of tranny gears, counter and main shaft.

jas250r
12-03-2005, 01:01 PM
so are the tranny gears that break on the counter shaft? 2nd gear on the sprocket shaft is what broke on mine, which i think is the counter shaft

jas250r
12-03-2005, 01:07 PM
so getting this yukon gear set for 405 shipped to my door isn't that bad of a deal, and get the rest cryoed including the shafts? what places do the cryoed and what does that usually run beerock? what setup do you run?

beerock
12-03-2005, 01:27 PM
the sprocket shaft IS the counter shaft.

zedicus knows wheres to get gears cyroed.

I have a hybrid tranny 88 counter and mainshaft, 88 1st through 4th gears, CS and MS and 86 5th and 6th CS and MS

I have like 4 sets of transmissions ready if i blow a gear so im in good shape.

zedicus00
12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
yukon and bladwin gear sets arent a complet set of gears as stated, but a couple gears go on each shaft i believe not all on one.

i prefer yukons over the baldwins, cut from the same tooling just a liltle closer tolerances...

bee, yur hybrid tranny basically equals out to being a 86-87 style tranny doesnt it??

cryoing does not make stuff brittle, a new stock set of cryoed gears should b very close in performance and strngth to the yukon gears, plus u get a full set for half the price including cryoing.

i use www.onecryo.com they dont use a liquid dunk technique which can distort metals. cryoing doesnt cost much... cheep insurance

beerock
12-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00

bee, yur hybrid tranny basically equals out to being a 86-87 style tranny doesnt it??

cryoing does not make stuff brittle, a new stock set of cryoed gears should b very close in performance and strngth to the yukon gears, plus u get a full set for half the price including cryoing.

i use www.onecryo.com they dont use a liquid dunk technique which can distort metals. cryoing doesnt cost much... cheep insurance

nah, they cut and machined the gears& shafts a little different for more strength on the 88-89 tranny. so its really a HYBRID

I dont agree with the cyroed gears being close to strength as the yukons though. but if you have stock gears then its welll worth cyro'n them

zedicus00
12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
the guy in town running a turboed saber is running new 89 style tranny gears. hes up to like 150 hourse... how much stronger do you need them too be? the reason a lot of peeple eventually loose like 2nd gear is most peeple launch built up motors in 2nd gear on a 20 yr old tranny....

just my thoughts though, im only around 50 hourse but my 86 tranny has taken o.k. so far. though i imagine the pavement runs i do on it sumtime are a lil hard on it.