PDA

View Full Version : What tires last the longest

yellow400
06-25-2002, 09:37 PM
I want to get tires for my 400ex but i want tires that last a long time. No special needs in particular i just want them to last and while and be strong.

what are your opinions?
thanks

muff
06-25-2002, 09:42 PM
blackwaters last a long time, i've done many donuts on pavement and they're still in pretty good condition, the rubber on them is harder than my friends all tracs, but the blackwaters slide good on the corners, my set of spidertracs have lasted a while, but they wear a little bit faster than the blackwaters

as for front tires i'm really not sure, i'm still on the stock tires on my 300, but i've got bandits on the front of my 400, i don't think they turn the greatest but it might have been because my front end geometry is off

PismoGuy400
06-25-2002, 11:31 PM
bandits all the way around...by far the most rugged and durable tire ive used.

phatswinn
06-26-2002, 07:52 AM
bandits

Jeff
06-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by muff
blackwaters last a long time

Huh? Blackwaters on a 400ex??!?! I hope you know that when you put the heavy of a tire on a 400ex that you are reducing your power a lot!

Anyway, I say get ITP Holeshots. Now this is the only tire I have run, but I have heard that they hold up good and last a long time. Get 4 ply in whatever you get. 6-ply I would say is too heavy, you dont really need it, 4-ply is all you need. Dont get no 2-ply, that aint nutin' but a flat waiting to happen....

06-26-2002, 09:22 AM
Hmmmmmm Lets see what we got here black waters, spidertrac too big n heavy, bandits r tuff but also heavy. holeshots are a great tire but wear down fast.

I would suggest you check out the 6ply Kenda Knarly(orig desert dogs) I have been running them since December and have NO noticable wear, unlike my friends that had purchased both razr's and holeshots.

There is a trade off in to this as the tire is a little "stiff" and will not hook up as well as the other performance tires when its cold. You can compensate for this by lowering the pressure but there are trade offs there too. Not that it just spins like a worked shee with bald tires but it likes the warmer weather. I have run mine just under 3 psi to compensate but since its been around 80-90F its back to 3-1/2 psi and unlike in the winter I am happy with their performance now.

The popular tires tend to be made with one function in mind. The hole shots hook up real well and are a good performance tire, the larger lug tires like the blackwaters are more for the utility crowd (dont get on me here I know they work well for other stuff too) and tend to have larger diameters and weight, the bandits are a popular tire and hold up well but are still gonna rob you of some hp due to the weight.

Check out the Kenda its a tough tire and will not hurt the performance of you 400

bansheeguy77
06-26-2002, 09:26 AM
yup the banidts last forever, hook up great, and are very strong i had them on my shee.

Tommy 17
06-26-2002, 10:22 AM
holeshot xcs lasted me right around 2 years:eek: and they still got tread left on them...

BS300ex5
06-26-2002, 10:33 AM
i have heard of bandits last fporver and wear about the same as iron but the tread seems a lil tight on them does anyone have any troble with them gathering mud... can you cut any kind of treads out of them to have them clean better ... postr some pics of this if you have them,

BS300ex5
06-26-2002, 10:35 AM
also i have heard good things about the mudshark like that they aren't too heavy(dont get me wrong they have some weight look at em ) anybody try these yet?

06-26-2002, 11:39 AM
If you do a lot of muddin then look into those blackwaters or the mudsharks too but I would recomend you get a 4x4 if your into the mud, Afriend has the griz660 and it goes thru almost everything.

muff
06-26-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Jeff

Huh? Blackwaters on a 400ex??!?! I hope you know that when you put the heavy of a tire on a 400ex that you are reducing your power a lot!

for one thing, when i got my 400 three weeks ago they came on it, it can spin the tires really easy and it has no problem keeping up with my friend whose got a powerbomb and powercore 4 with all tracs, actually i really like how well the blackwaters perform on my 400, they slide good and i dont have to worry about getting stuck anywhere, plus they dont wear fast like the holeshots you like so much

second, i had a set of blackwaters on my recon and they seemed fine, i had no problem spinning the tires on that either

06-26-2002, 12:51 PM
my dad has a set of GBC Dirt Devils on his Recon, i've ridden it and done burn outs and all that stuff on asphalt, they really hold up good. hardly any tread wear

Juggalo
06-26-2002, 06:00 PM
GBC mud busters. the longest lasting tire i have ever seen

RdingManiac420
06-27-2002, 05:47 PM
The Kenda Dominators and Kenda Knarly wear decent and also hook up great. Plus they are a light, sporty tire unlike some of the above suggestions which where made for 4x4's and utility quads but whatever floats your boat.:)

06-27-2002, 10:38 PM
The Kenda Dominators and Kenda Knarly wear decent and also hook up great.

Do yours really hook up that well? Mine arent bad but maybe I was just spoiled with the 2ply ohtsu's on the loose sandy type gravel we have in this area.

Still the best when you compare toughness and longevity v/s performance.

RdingManiac420
06-27-2002, 10:46 PM
They hook up decent but nothing like a softer tire like holeshot or the Ohtsu's but they do pretty good. It is weird though when I have them on my 250 they good tons better than my friends on his 400. I think that the 400 has power enough to just spin them out rather than hook up like a softer tire does. But if it is a sporty, light, long lasting tire you want then I'd say that they're great.

Rastus
06-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Bandits last almost FOREVER!!! trust me, these things still have to show alittle wear. As far as clogging up with mud, mine havent.
But, id recommend razr's. I have Razr's too, and they still have lots of tread left.

RdingManiac420- sounds like an outkast lyriks,"whatever floats your boat, or finds your lost remote :) "

Jeff
06-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Muff, you go put whatever tire you want on your 400ex. All im saying is that if you run these big mud tires (made for utility's) on a 400ex, your reducing your HP big time. I bet if you get a light weight tire (Turf-Tamers, Holeshots) you will see and increase in power and prolly speed......ask anybody!

muff
06-30-2002, 09:42 AM
i dont dout that they are heavy, but for around here where its rocky, hilly and muddy, whats the point for having a set of turf tamers where i wont be able to go anywhere, the more aggressive tires let me get the traction i need, i also go mud boggin a lot and its a lot of fun and i'm not worried about getting stuck as much as i am if i had a set of holeshots that has a tread that's a half a inch high

if they were only made for utilities then they wouldn't make them in 22" sizes, all of the bigger utilities use 25 and up

RdingManiac420
06-30-2002, 09:24 PM
Muff I dont wana sound like I am bashing your tire choices but I bet if you ran a set of turf tamers once you'd never go back to bandits. They hook up in anything. Plus they are an anus-load lighter than the bandits and cheaper.

06-30-2002, 09:30 PM
But if it is a sporty, light, long lasting tire you want then I'd say that they're great
I would have to agree with this, and add that the Knarly is the best I have had or rode when it comes to a seriously tough tire with performance that is close or same as the popular performance tires like the holeshot or razr.

if they were only made for utilities then they wouldn't make them in 22" sizes, all of the bigger utilities use 25 and up
There not only made for anything, but are more popular for the utility quads. Also not everyone has a Bigger or 4X4 utility. There are plenty of quads that would "feel" right at home with a set of any of the heavier tires you mention, but most people with a 400EX are more into performance than rock climbing or mud boggin and so are the answers you r gonna get on here. So get what ever you like but understand that what your reading here is true that you would get much better handling and acceleration from the performance tires recomended, but they wont be as good for mud boggin as the other taller more aggressive tires.

As far as rocky and just plain ol tough terrain there are many other choices to consider and many are just as tough at a lot less weight.

RED121572
07-05-2002, 11:36 AM
I did my fair share of research last year on tires. What I have found out is that the stock 400EX tires are the lightest you can get. (please correct me if Im wrong) Even the entry level holeshots are heavier....along with the Razors.

Ive had a set of Bandits on mine for 15 months. Yes, they are heavier and I did notice it.

Most of my riding is on dirt roads..(trail riding bores me) I ride ALOT on the weekends. The tires still have 80-85 % tread left. When it comes time for new tires, Im gonna go with the Bandits again. Those tires have treated me really well so far.

Ive been mudding a few times with them. I thought they performed really well.

Good luck with your decision hoss!!:D

Rastus
07-06-2002, 09:42 AM
I can see tires like that on a 250 or a 300. 300's and 250's mud great, and ive seen alot of 300's and 250's runnin big mudders.

Troy86250r
07-06-2002, 04:22 PM
I've had my razr's for around 6 months and they still have lots of tread on them. I ride on pavement once on a while too. They do good almost everywhere accept sand, and thick mud.