PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Aluminum Adhesives?

FoxRacing81
12-03-2005, 10:20 AM
On my old 400ex motor, the oil drain plug on the engine snapped off whenever someone bumped it off the stand in my garage. I am in a dilema where I need to use the bottom end of this motor. I would much rather not take it completely apart to fix this. Is there any type of adhesive I could use on it that would be as strong as say a a weld? It is aluminum. I am looking for something stronger then JB Weld if possible, because I am not fully convinced by JB Weld (JB Welded my top motor mount on the top head cover after it snapped, and it didn't hold up well at all)

Anyone know of anything that would work good? Don't say JB weld or take it apart and fix it that way. I know thats the way I should fix it, but I want to see if I have any other options before I go that route. Thanks.

-Justin

TheX1992
12-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81
I am looking for something stronger then JB Weld if possible, because I am not fully convinced by JB Weld (JB Welded my top motor mount on the top head cover after it snapped, and it didn't hold up well at all)

From what I remember, JB Weld fills in holes, it does not hold peices of metal together that are taking alot of stress....such as a motor mount. I've always used JB Weld for my little 'problems' and it works great.

ZeroLogic
12-03-2005, 01:03 PM
JB weld works great but it can crack if the peices move

YFZ450Ridr
12-03-2005, 01:29 PM
i used this 2 part metal adhesive on my side case when the chain gouged a hole in it. it was called DevCon and once it dried its hard and as durable as can be. my uncle uses it at his work all the time so i trust its a good product.

FoxRacing81
12-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Hmm, thanks guys. After looking at the piece that broke off and the block itself, I'm beginning to think I won't need to put it back on. Might be able to just use whats there. Thanks for the advice though guys.

NacsMXer
12-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Right now, i'm looking at my RockyMountain and there's two products from MSR called Quiksteel and Quikaluminum. Says break off only what's needed and will be rock hard once it's dry. I haven't tried it before, but it seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for :)

prepracing
12-03-2005, 05:27 PM
TIG WELDING

popo
12-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Duct Tape :D

bigbadbrad
12-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
TIG WELDING

i am with this guy, there is only one way to fix it, and that is the rightway to fix it, you dont want to be taking chances when it comes to motors

Killa250ex
12-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
TIG WELDING

Exactly what I was going to say :o