PDA

View Full Version : Axle Removal Question

400exrider0004
12-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I am removing my axle on my 2004 400ex and swingarm. I am taking it apart because I am relubing it and powdercoating it gloss black and chroming the axle. I am wondering if there is any tricks I should know, or any tips? I also have a question about the inner lock and outer lock on the axel! How do you take it off? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Josh

JOEX
12-02-2005, 09:26 PM
A repair manual will be very helpful to you;) :)

The lock nut can be difficult to remove but a couple of very large pipe wrenches work. The threads are left hand.

The piviot bolt can be even more difficult to remove. Some peole have resorted to cutting the bolt and/or the swing arm to get it off.

There are tons of threads about both of these situations;)

400exrider0004
12-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I searched and found tons of forums on this. Im wondering is taking the swingarm, shock, axle, and all that other stuff off hard work, or can it be ok?

Unverfehrt400ex
12-03-2005, 08:05 AM
it can be tough to get the swingarm off sometimes. The swingarm bolt likes to sieze up.

nippster400ex
12-04-2005, 08:34 AM
you have to turn the inner lock nut counter clockwise as the outer lock nut also there is goin to be a lot of lock tite in those threads take a torch and heat the inner and outer lock nut before trying to loosen it will be alot easier i had to replace my axle jsut a couple weeks ago hope it all works out