PDA

View Full Version : LTZ-400 Slip-On Question

KoolKwad400
12-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone- this is my first post.
I have a 2005 LTZ-400 that I would like to put a slip on exhaust. I am looking for something not obnoxiously loud, but throatier than stock. Looking at FMF and Yoshi pipes, open to suggestions, would like something I won't have to re-jet with.

Thanks for info.

Jerry

400Rider022
12-02-2005, 02:34 PM
any pipe u get u will HAVE to rejet

black300
12-02-2005, 04:30 PM
the only pipe you can get that you wont have to rejet is another stock pipe. ive been searchen for some pipes that arent loud and ive asked other people who have them and so far havent found any that wont anger the neighbors

400exstud
12-02-2005, 09:36 PM
You must always keep the air/fuel ratio the same. More air flow requires more fuel.

Yoshimaura is a good, quiet choice. I have an HMF which is very loud in its original form but when you add a quiet core it tones down considerably.

4TraxRider
12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
I absolutely love my Dr. D. 95 db, and adds a nice punch throughout the rev range.

motochamp250
12-03-2005, 11:20 AM
ive got a hmf slip-on on my 400 and i didnt have 2 rejet....i run air box lid on with a k and n and mine is running awesome

400exstud
12-03-2005, 01:54 PM
ive got a hmf slip-on on my 400 and i didnt have 2 rejet

tisk, tisk. You will double your power gains if you would take the 20 minutes to re-jet it.:huh

KoolKwad400
12-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the info, the dealer is doing the first service today and installing a Suzuki/Yoshi slip-on.....It is a factory pipe so they said they PROBABLY will not have to re-jet. I guess it is a good choice, they said it is quiet (compared to other aftermarket pipes) and has a USFS approved spark arrestor. I'll see how it sounds, they said I could try it on a trial basis and if I liked it, pay for it, if not they'd take it back off and put the stock exhaust back on for me for free. Can't get a better deal than that......

Thanks
Jerry

Bush0102
12-05-2005, 07:42 AM
my question is:

why dont you want to rejet?

Its simple, necessary to keep your motor in good shape over the long run, and its true- it will give you a noticible power gain!

Why do people have such a problem with doing this?

By the way, good choice with the Yoshi.

KoolKwad400
12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't want to rejet because my past experience with rejetting street bikes always lead to constant fiddling with the air screws to make everything run right. Maybe the jets weren't done right, but they were done at the dealer so I assumed they were okay. I like the way my bike runs now, no farting/skip/hesitation, and I want it to stay that way. My only reason for putting on the slip-on is better sound. The bike has more than enough power for me in stock form.
Maybe I will rejet. I guess I'll keep an eye on the spark plug to see how it's running and if it gets funky I'll jet it.

Thanks

Jerry

400exrider707
12-05-2005, 10:57 AM
By not rejetting and then increasing air flow you are effectively running the machine lean, which is VERY bad! If it becomes too lean your piston could swell and lock up in the cylinder. Many things could happen, but none are good! Just do some research and learn how to jet! It's simple!

Also if your dealer tells you you shouldn't have to rejet because its a factory exhaust then he is an idiot! What difference does it make if its from suzuki or not, it still does the same basic thing. It's letting the engine breathe better so you NEED to give it more fuel. Tell your dealer you want the jets installed too if you cant handle it. On second thought you probably dont want THAT dealer to do, since he seems to think it doesn't even need to be jetted! Kinda scary!

bwamos
12-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Aye.. you probably wont need to mess with the air screw.
Just move the needle up 1 spot, and go up a couple sizes on the main. You should be close enough, and a LOT better than stock.

If you don't rejet.. the slip-on does NOTHING except make you LOSE horsepower. If you're afraid of rejetting, just spend an extra $25 and get a jet kit with instructions.

trx400exat00
12-05-2005, 01:51 PM
okay on a diiferent 400 how do u move the needle and how do u know when ur air screw is right because i have tinkered with mine a couple of times and im not sure its right!

tater_kamik
12-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by KoolKwad400
I don't want to rejet because my past experience with rejetting street bikes always lead to constant fiddling with the air screws to make everything run right. Maybe the jets weren't done right, but they were done at the dealer so I assumed they were okay. I like the way my bike runs now, no farting/skip/hesitation, and I want it to stay that way. My only reason for putting on the slip-on is better sound. The bike has more than enough power for me in stock form.
Maybe I will rejet. I guess I'll keep an eye on the spark plug to see how it's running and if it gets funky I'll jet it.

Thanks

Jerry

it is a pain to get the carbs on a streetbike all sync's, since there are 4 of them. however, on your bike it is very easy since there is one carb! nice and simple, i love the kiss principle. you wont have any probs really, but it is definately worth correctly jetting your quad