PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the 400ex after riding...

RonJ
12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm a new owner with a honda 400ex. I've recently went riding and the quad got really dirty. I'm wondering how you go about cleaning everything, can you just spray a hose everywhere? I lifted the bike on it's back, and I noticed the gas began to come out of a tube that was located underneath. Do I need to tape the tube while I clean? Any insight would be helpful. Or any tips on how you guys/gals clean your bikes.

Thanks in advance.

stc416rider
12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
just turn off ur gas when u flip it up

i power wash mine it gets it really clean;)

u can spray down the whole thing

just try not 2 get it in the exhaust pipe

the electrical stuff can get wet 2

12-02-2005, 01:18 PM
like said above...turn you gas off when you tip it up...that tube it comes out is an overlfow tube designedfor that reason...when you shut off the gas, there is a little gas left in the carb and that will run out also, but it will eventually after a few seconds...

as far as cleaning goes...the more you clean the better off you'll be...a thourough after ride wash will help you pick out any damage that may have occured during the ride, and help you notice that wear item are worn out...i go overboard...i remove all the plastics, the skidplates, gas tank, wheels, brake calipers come off so i can clean the disc, pad and get any of the trail garbage out, carb gets cleaned...

in short if it comes off without too much hassle...i take it off...i usually spend about 10-12 hours per bike in cleaning the next day...i am glad my wife only rides once or twice a year...

RonJ
12-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Thank you for the informative responses guys. I'm very new, I've only riden twice. I'll make sure to turn off the gas this time before I flip it over. Thanks once again.

-Ron

12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
just don't forget tot turn it back on when you are done...i have been guilty of that and have to admit, that it never comes to mind right away...i am usually looking for a problem somewhere else before i snap out of stupid mode

stic
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
i usually spend about 10-12 hours per bike in cleaning the next day

holy **** man.....do you work for a livin'???
:D

shorgasm
12-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
like said above...turn you gas off when you tip it up...that tube it comes out is an overlfow tube designedfor that reason...when you shut off the gas, there is a little gas left in the carb and that will run out also, but it will eventually after a few seconds...

as far as cleaning goes...the more you clean the better off you'll be...a thourough after ride wash will help you pick out any damage that may have occured during the ride, and help you notice that wear item are worn out...i go overboard...i remove all the plastics, the skidplates, gas tank, wheels, brake calipers come off so i can clean the disc, pad and get any of the trail garbage out, carb gets cleaned...

in short if it comes off without too much hassle...i take it off...i usually spend about 10-12 hours per bike in cleaning the next day...i am glad my wife only rides once or twice a year...

Ok!

12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by stic
holy **** man.....do you work for a livin'???
:D

yep, i just have an alternate schedule..i work 12 hours a day for 3 days then have the next 4 days off...every 8 weeks i have to work 12hours a day for 6 days straight, but on the plus side is that 3 weeks after that i get a who week off...my schedule rotate between mon, tues, wed and thur, fri, sat and night sun, mon, tues and nights wed, thur, fri...if, like this year, my rotation had me naturally off on all the holidays except 2, i only worked 156 days...

it is terrible having all that time off