PDA

View Full Version : replacing stock brake lines...

Glamis400ex
06-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi all,

I just got some extended brake lines and was wondering how I need to go about doing the swap. I read in the FAQ section of how to bleed the brakes, but I need to totally take them off, so, not sure what to do. Sorry, if I didn't get the JIST of the bleeding technique in FAQ.

Also, the lines I got eliminate the "T" under the front hood. They are 2 seperate lines coming off the master. Can I just zip-tie them to the frame somewhere once I get them situated?

Who's got that pic of the rubber tube method of attaching the lines to new a arms....it's pretty trick, just can't remember how it goes.

Thx,

Glamis

Quadfather
06-25-2002, 08:37 PM
I just put Stainless lines on my quad. Install the lines, fill the master cylinder, pump the brakes about 10-20 times, while you have the lever pulled in, or the pedal pushed down, back the bleeder screw out about 1/2 turn. You will see fluid mixed with air shoot out a bit. Close the bleeder, and repeat as necessary. Remember to keep the master topped off, or you will have to repeat over and over. It takes about five minutes to do.

I also put on new a-arms, and remembered the hose trick. Use 1/4" tubing. Cut a piece about 1/4" long. Take a zip tie, put it down through the tubing,(put brake line above the tubing) wrap around a arm, go back up through the tubing, then over brake line, then through zip tie clicker (for lack of a better word) and tighten it down. It's a cool trick.

Glamis400ex
06-25-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks Quadfather,

but, I think you may have missed a little of my question. How do I get the old brake fluid out or do I just disconnect and let it run all over the place?

Glamis

Quadfather
06-26-2002, 05:46 AM
Just undo the banjo bolt at the caliper, set it in a jar or something, pump the brakes a few times, and let it bleed out for a while. That's what I did.

06-26-2002, 07:13 AM
how do you get 2 seperate lines off the master cylinder? it's only set up for one, i'm not questioning you in anyway, just curious

Glamis400ex
06-26-2002, 05:06 PM
The lines I got are custom. The guy sells them on ebay all the time. It has 2 lines, piggy-backed to each other, off the master.

Pretty cool actually, seperate line for each caliper. What's cool is, if I ever have a prob with either front caliper, I can only choose to bleed that one, not the whole thing..at least that's what he told me:huh We'll see....

Glamis

06-26-2002, 05:17 PM
do you have a digital camera? i'd like to see how these lines attach ..

Glamis400ex
06-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Just imagine 2 banjo bolts, piggy-backed and then screwed into the master cylinder..

Nope, no digital camera

Glamis