PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar Axle Carrier vs. Stock?

riz400
09-25-2001, 07:28 PM
I just finished removing my bearings on my 400Ex. They were toast and the carrier is not in too good of shape either. My question is does anybody have the Lonestar carrier and do they like it? The Lonestar has twin row bearings compared to the single row in the stock. So far I've found them for around $200. They also make a cast aluminum version for a little less.

2000 400EX: Renthals, Razr's all arouond, XR400 cam,Pro Circuit Slip On, Works triples, AC Stadium bumper, Pro Design Kill Switch, Shaved fenders, FLY Clutch perch,

2000ex
09-25-2001, 08:50 PM
I recently smoked the stock carrier myself and was stuck with the same dilemma. I ended up getting a Burgard billet carrier brand new from ebay for $120, pretty good price if you ask me. Looks exactly like the LSR racing unit and the quality is simply top notch. Izzy Burgard of Burgard Racing must not have his own site and just sells what he can get them for on Ebay.

Here is an auction for the identical unit which expires on 9/30
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=595750392&r=0&t=0

oynot400
09-26-2001, 06:07 AM
I have the lone star carrier. I beleive it is the only one that is greaseable. You just have to tear it down every once in a while to grease it up and it will work fine. I would recomend it. ;)

2000ex
09-26-2001, 06:29 AM
The Burgard unit is greasable as well

09-26-2001, 08:08 AM
Speedracingproducts.com also sells carriers,,,with grease zirks,,,good qualitiy products and always have everything in stock. that's what I'll be going with..

riz400
09-26-2001, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the posts guys.

Another question. Should I go with the tapered or dual row? Is the tapered worth spending the extra cash?

09-26-2001, 11:58 AM
I use to know the difference between the 2,,,one of them will were out faster the more hard riding you do with side to side turning,,,were the axle puts more stress on the outer parts of the carrier,,,now ya got me thinkin. I'll email speed racing and find out..

Taco
09-26-2001, 06:01 PM
tapered bearing carriers last longer because they are able to take a side load instead of regular bearings. more expensive too

Foxrage
09-26-2001, 06:13 PM
I heard the tapered make it harder to tighten your change. I think the dual row r better and cheaper than tapered

09-27-2001, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Tacostrk
tapered bearing carriers last longer because they are able to take a side load instead of regular bearings. more expensive too

Exactly,,,I knew one of them could carry side loads longer and better just didn't know which one...have to remember,,,ya get what ya pay fer..

004exkid
09-27-2001, 07:11 PM
Yes but with the tapered bearings the seal isnt nearly as good. That might be ok for mx but for xc or any mud or water riding the bearings arent going to last as long as a standard dual row. That is why most pros run the dual row for xc. You also loose some chain adjustment with the taper setup which really isnt a big deal.

riz400
09-27-2001, 08:04 PM
I made my decision.... I am going to buy the dual row Lonestar unit tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure that I get the best for my 200 bucks. I also heard that the bearings for the dual row carrier are much cheaper because they are mass produced. I think they are some sort of automotive type bearing...???? Can anyone confirm this?