PDA

View Full Version : I found a cheap rear suspention setup that works for a light weight person

Honda5
12-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm building up a 400ex for my son to start racing in the spring (he only weighs 100lb) so I got a walsh lt front end and sent a set of elkas to santo to be setup for him then I bought a 400ex rear elka from someone off here to do the rear. well after having the rear serviced I put it together and taking it out for a ride i found out something is wrong with the shock. In a haste to ride I grabed a stock 400ex shock and some springs and links and just tryed different combinations and found this combination that works better then any 400 I have ever ridden. Stock shock + spring with 1/8 in. preload on the spring 450r elka link with a +1.25 swingarm. It may sound like it won't work but I'm not going to put the elka back on even after I get it fixed. this setup is sweet my son was pulling off a 55' double and when the bike hit it stuck like glue then he ran thru some brakeing bumps smooth as glass. I took it out and hit a few big jumps and only bottomed out a few times (I weigh 180lb) now for all you guys who say It won't work you tell me why.

Chino886
12-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Honda5
I'm building up a 400ex for my son to start racing in the spring (he only weighs 100lb) so I got a walsh lt front end and sent a set of elkas to santo to be setup for him then I bought a 400ex rear elka from someone off here to do the rear. well after having the rear serviced I put it together and taking it out for a ride i found out something is wrong with the shock. In a haste to ride I grabed a stock 400ex shock and some springs and links and just tryed different combinations and found this combination that works better then any 400 I have ever ridden. Stock shock + spring with 1/8 in. preload on the spring 450r elka link with a +1.25 swingarm. It may sound like it won't work but I'm not going to put the elka back on even after I get it fixed. this setup is sweet my son was pulling off a 55' double and when the bike hit it stuck like glue then he ran thru some brakeing bumps smooth as glass. I took it out and hit a few big jumps and only bottomed out a few times (I weigh 180lb) now for all you guys who say It won't work you tell me why.

So what are selling the rear elka for....

Let me get this straight, you are using the 450R Elka link on a 400EX stock shock on a 400EX....I am just curious, I might give it a try...

400exMO
12-01-2005, 07:44 AM
yeah, how much for that elka, I'm extremely interested?

Honda5
12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
yes stock shock with stock spring (I tried dual rate springs but it didn't work) and a 450r elka link. I might send the rear to santo to get him to set it up as close to a stock 400 shock and keep it as a backup. I don't know if this will work as good with the gt link, I think the bike will sit to low. but if you can get a elka link give it a try.

Chino886
12-01-2005, 08:30 AM
yes stock shock with stock spring (I tried dual rate springs but it didn't work) and a 450r elka link. I might send the rear to santo to get him to set it up as close to a stock 400 shock and keep it as a backup. I don't know if this will work as good with the gt link, I think the bike will sit to low. but if you can get a elka link give it a try.

Can you get a pic of the setup for me....

400exrider707
12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Can you get a pic of the setup for me....

He also said hes using a +1 1/4 swinger too though.

Chino886
12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
He also said hes using a +1 1/4 swinger too though.

thats what I got.....

Honda5
12-02-2005, 05:55 AM
I got pics but you can't see too much if you want them give me your email.

Chino886
12-02-2005, 06:02 AM
I got pics but you can't see too much if you want them give me your email.

you have PM...