PDA

View Full Version : 250ex Water in Oil?

avc8130
12-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Someone local to me is selling a 2001 250ex. He is selling it cheap, but claims there is water in the oil. I thought this bike was air cooled? If so, where could the water be coming from? How serious of a problem could this be?
Thanks,
ac

kd5sfq
12-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Maybe it has been under water and some water got in the oil through the exhaust.

Trevor
12-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Drain the oil put in some new stuff and flush it up. See if it smokes or knocks like a beotch. If it dose nither of those it' likely ok. Ask them how long it was run with the oil like that.

avc8130
12-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Thats what I was thinking. Told them I want to come over with a drain pan and some oil and give it a shot.

Fast250EX
12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah, try that, the 250EX has been drowned out somehow. It is most likely alright, but it will take a LOT of oil changes to get the water totally out.

I sunk mine a couple months back and it took no less than 5 oil changes to clean it all out. Mine was completely underwater though, so it may be different for you.

Buy some cheap oil, run it a lil bit very lightly to get the oil circulating, change it and repeat til the oil is cleared up, then put in some good oil (i use Honda Genuine oils).

Just expect to spend a lil time on it if it has been drowned out. The oil was milkier the second time i changes it than it was the first.:D

avc8130
12-02-2005, 05:32 AM
It looks like that is what I am going to do. I was also thinking about takin an air compressor and blowing air into the oil fill with the drain plug out to dry to force more out. I am going to drop a little oil down the spark plug hole too, just to make sure the cylinder gets coated. Off to Walmart to get a whole bunch of cheap oil!

Do these quads use gear oil in the final drive? If so, I should probably change that too, right?

ac

Trevor
12-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Also remember that the 250ex has gear oil for the rear akle where it's a shaft drive so that will likely have to be changed.

Fast250EX
12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Your final drive gear oil is most likely just fine, although it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to check on it.

Mine was fine after a complete sinking, but different situations call for different measures.

While we are talking about oil changes, I should mention that you need to change the oil a bit more often in the 250EX (Recon too) than other Honda's. It doesn't have an oil filter but has a small screen, and if it gets clogged, the cases need to be split to access it. The chances that it will get clogged are very slim, and if your oil is very contaminated, you have bigger problems than a little screen anyway. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it, but just figured I'd bring that to your attention if you didnt know.;)

Have fun changin the cheapy oil!:macho

bwamos
12-05-2005, 08:39 AM
If you do get it.. take it to an automotive oil change place.. and have them do a flush on it. ;) That will get all of the water out. Then put in your Amsoil (or whatever you use), and you'll be set.