View Full Version : PAPPY! How do u do it?

trict_out
11-30-2005, 11:22 PM
I have been hunting for a while now. A great spot right behind my house. I bow hunt and have gun hunted every day this week. I just cant seem to get one. I go in, the deer run out. Im up at the *** crack of dawn and sit till dark. Either i run them out or they just dont come. I have seen 22 deer in the last 2 days and havent got a shot at ONE! I'm so fuggin pizzed and frustrated i wanna fight my grandma! any tips?

babyboy
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
if you see them, Why aren't you shooting?

Pappy
12-01-2005, 05:14 AM
sounds like the deer may have you patterned.

go in earlier, come into the stand from a direction you think you will not bump deer etc.

i bought the scent-loc gear years back and swear by it. once i started using it, i had deer so close i could spit on them.

and alot of it is luck, i hunted my place for 2 days staright and never saw a deer, then a walk on thanksgiving day landed a big 8. right place, right time

Pappy
12-01-2005, 07:43 AM
i reckon my big 11 will have company:D i got this one a few years back

and luck goes both ways, i was so sick i couldnt hunt monday or tuesday at my usual spot so a buddy hunted my stand and killed a whopper 8 point. who knows if i would have had the same luck, fate determines alot of this stuff:p

Pappy
12-01-2005, 07:45 AM
more luck:confused:

i had just dropped 2 does and was lowering my rifle from the stand when this 8 came running out of a thicket. i made the shot and he is now on the wall

Pappy
12-01-2005, 07:48 AM
still not convinced luck:confused:

i was helping my father inlaw look for a doe and i spotted it, along with another deer. i asked him if he shot a doe or a buck and he said a doe. this buck had bedded beside the dead doe and i took him out:p

Pappy
12-01-2005, 07:50 AM
i was standing up to call the season quits when i saw this nice 6. 45 seconds later and i never would have seen him.

right place, right time

Butters
12-01-2005, 08:51 AM
so do you have a lovely room of death with all those dear?? :D

Jersey450R
12-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by trict_out
I'm so fuggin pizzed and frustrated i wanna fight my grandma! any tips?

let your grandma hunt your stand :p

wilkin250r
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Me, personally, I believe luck is at least 50% skill. It actually takes very careful preparation to be in the right place at the right time.

However, sometimes luck is just absolutely blind. I was hiking back to camp, and had a HUGE 4-point (west coast, we count one side only. For you guys, it would be an 8) walk right up on me, not more than 60 yards away. After skinned and dressed, I bet he STILL weighed over 200lbs.

BSTURDIVANT
12-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Nice hat PAPPY!

Pappy
12-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Nice hat PAPPY!

AINT IT FUNNY WHAT JOHN DEERE WILL GIVE YOU WHEN YOU SPEND $15K:ermm:

kuba1506
12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
im no expert by any means but have been successful in the woods, sounds like the deer do have you patterned and know that you are there, are you sitting on the ground or in a treestand? and how many acres are you hunting on? you have to be quite and makes moves very slowly, if you have decent area to hunt move spots to where the deer wouldnt expect you, if you are hunting on the ground try hunting a treestand, and if you are hunting a treestand possibly try to hunt higher.

Pappy
12-01-2005, 03:40 PM
hey trict out,

explain further the situation where you are seeing deer but not getting a shot? it could help us offer some suggestions.

trict_out
12-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I hunt on our own farm. 180 acres. In the back corner is a deer hotspot. There is a powerline cut that leads to a thicket that is just blessed with rubs and scrapes. I sit up in a tree overlookin the cut and the thicket. I have seen 3 bucks with more than eight points this season...I know there back there, but lets say i get up at 4 and am in the stand an hour before sunlight..i still see no action! If i try to get to my spot in the afternoon however i jump up deer everywhere. Total comes to 27 deer 4 being bucks in the last 3 days and still not able to get a shot. Im gettin real frustrated. Basically in the morning i see nothing and in the afternoon i jump them on the way in on the way out.

Pappy
12-01-2005, 04:02 PM
hunt where you are jumping them, but hunt it in the morning.

most rub activity takes place at night time and usually doesnt produce in my expierence.

id take up a stand in an area where i could see the deer approaching the area you are jumping them from. they are probably heading into that area at or just after daylight. a good stand should produce!

also, i learned along time ago that terrain means more then deer sign, especially when the pressure is on. a draw or deep cut leading from a thick area to a feeding area is my favorite.

trict_out
12-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Ill do my best Pap if i have any luck or any updates ill be sure to post pics. Thanks for everything its much appreciared.

mx426ex
12-01-2005, 04:25 PM
try approaching ur stand from a different spot?

blasterfury7474
12-01-2005, 05:19 PM
You need to really be carful goin in. Dont make any noise. Dont break sticks or anything, and go slow up the stand. Take the wind pattern into consideration also. You need to be scentless. I know guys who go smoke before they get into the stand and they never get a deer because the deer can smell them. Try cahnging where you sit every other day. Keep the deer guessing. Even if you do spook them they might run to your other spot or rap back around. You might be able to catch them off guard.

Pappy
12-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Butters
so do you have a lovely room of death with all those dear?? :D

but ofcourse, and 4 or 5 rubbermaid tubs full of horns that didnt make the grade for the "wall":D

my oldest son cody is having an off year, i have scouted out several decent bucks for him and he just cant seem to connect. some years are like that.