View Full Version : Help!! 2006 YFZ or 2006 450R What would you do?

jhoppa
11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I currently have a 400ex and leaning toward the 450r just because I can use a lot of the parts I have on my 400ex. The new YFZ has no caught my eye.

I will use this to race harescrambles and trail ride. 6' tall, 200lbs...

Any suggestions?

Toadz400
11-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Ride both of them! See which one fits you the best. That's the best advice anyone can give you.

Booth440ex
12-01-2005, 05:25 AM
I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and ride XC and i love my new 2006 yfz but i never ridden a 450r

KOG
12-01-2005, 07:13 AM
i have a 2006 450r and power wise compard to the yfz it is like neck and neck my buddy has a yfz and theyare both fast bikes but my 450r is a lil cold blooded but other than that i love it and i can ride a wheelie till i run out of gas on my 450

400exMO
12-01-2005, 07:41 AM
450r- honda reliability

jhoppa
12-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda has proven themselves with having good reliable equipment.

Would you say Yamaha is NOT as reliable? A couple guys I race with have had some issues with their YFZ's.

One said that I would need to replace the a-arms, because they are not strong enough for harescrambles and motocross.

Another had his ignition go out, so he sold the YFZ and got a 450r.

If you look at the specs the 2006 YFZ seems better for woods racing than the 450r. Anybody else have any other information like this?

Toadz400
12-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Please do not start with the whole Honda reliability thing. The YFZ is just as reliable as the 450R. I have beaten the living crap out of my YFZ for the past 6 months and it has been nothing but great for me, no problems whatsoever.

But I suppose since this used to be a Honda site, everyone is going to tell you to get the R. Go to YFZCentral and see what they tell you...no one is going to give you an unbiased opinion, except for me it seems.

I have owned both Honda and Yamaha. I had more problems with my 400ex than my YFZ. My solenoid went out on my 400ex and I had some front-end issues. So far none with my YFZ, which is a Yamaha and apparently sucks according to everyone on this site that owns a Honda.

But anyway, I'm telling you...don't listen to people who tell you to get a 450R because it's Honda reliability, does anyone remember the '04's having a lot of cracking frames? Or the '05's seizing up because of the cheap bearings?? Guess not...

The best advice is to ride both of them, talk to BOTH owners and see what the ups and downs are (try to avoid the Hardcore Yamaha and Hardcore Honda fans as they will most likely give you a biased opinion). The best thing for you to do is to choose the one that fits your riding style the best. In my case the YFZ fit my style much more better than the 450R. The center of gravity felt too tall on the R and it didn't have the hard hitting power I wanted, so I went with the YFZ. If I had the money, I would own both because the 450R is an awesome machine. I am by no means telling you to buy the YFZ, netiher am I telling you to buy the 450R. The final decision is up to you and no one else, ride them both and/or sit on them both and you'll make your decision.

250r4life
12-01-2005, 10:48 AM
thats bull that the R and yfz are neck and neck... the yfz is hands down faster, period... and i am a honda guy... so, the yfz definately is a bit faster, but i love the feel and handling of the 450r way better... depends what you want

jhoppa
12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
The YFZ is lower than the 450r and you still think the 450r handles better??? (Stock trim)

Is this statement for harescrambles or woods riding?

250r4life
12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
ive ridden them both in the desert and the dunes, and yes the 450r felt liek it handled a lot better... it felt a lot closer to my 250r than the yfz did... everybody ive talked to has said the same thing, that tyhe 450r handles a lot better but the yfz is faster... the 06 yfz 450 is even faster, and even though they bumped the compression on the 450r the yfz is still faster...

Rrider4life8
12-01-2005, 02:02 PM
another pointless thread ......... ride em both, pick which 1 u like the best. dont listen to what everyone else says cause usually there BSin. and every quad is gonna break eventually. its called maintiance people.

250r4life
12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
pointless thread? not everybody has a trx450r and a yfz450 lying around to go and test drive whenever they want to see which one they like, and not everybody has buddies that have them... and i'm not about to have people that i dont know well ride my bike, although i've had people that i met at the track and the same day i met them they had me ride their bikes around the track a few times...

Rrider4life8
12-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
pointless thread? not everybody has a trx450r and a yfz450 lying around to go and test drive whenever they want to see which one they like, and not everybody has buddies that have them... and i'm not about to have people that i dont know well ride my bike, although i've had people that i met at the track and the same day i met them they had me ride their bikes around the track a few times...

make friends with people that have em. I let people ride my whooter all the time. Its not that big of a deal.

250r4life
12-01-2005, 04:15 PM
not me, i dont think 10 people have ridden my bike since it was sold in 1989. i guess if i had one of the newer bikes that are still made i wouldnt care too much, but i am very particular on who can ride it and even more who can work on it... its mostly just me for both of those...

JRP
12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
450r all the way.. im 5'9 and it fits me perfect.. the yfz feels alot smaller and cramped. the power on the yfz is more snappier but i thyik its harder to ride.

smlackey
12-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Do you like blue, white, yellow, red, or black?

rancid
12-01-2005, 05:56 PM
i have a yfz and i have rode the 05 and 06 honda, and its very nice but i love how snappy the power on my yfz is compared to the honda. go with the yfz.

All_Out_06
12-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by JRP
450r all the way.. im 5'9 and it fits me perfect.. the yfz feels alot smaller and cramped. the power on the yfz is more snappier but i thyik its harder to ride.

lol..................................... im 5'10'' 150 lbs, and i fit perfectly on the YFZ.....yes the power is snappier on the YFZ.... but harder to ride? The honda is easier to handle because it doesnt have the power the YFZ does...You just have to be a good rider to ride the YFZ, the first time i rode it, i handled it just fine... and all the people that are saying honda reliablitity.....cmon........:cuss: ....in the past 6 years my family has owned 6 yamahas and not once did anything go wrong.... and the oldest one was an 89 Warrior and all it needed was a new clutch..... so dont give me the BS about reliability...yamaha is just as reliable. And about picking what quad is the best.... just like said ealier.... if they own the R they are gonna say R if they have a YFZ they are gonna say YFZ... Pick what fits you best.... If you want the quad that is gonna perform the best on the track....hands down yfz... If you want something that is a little bit more mellow on the powerband...get the R. if your a taller person, some people over 6 foot say they feel cramped on the yfz...but its all up to..... but hey whatever u get....its kool cuz at least your riding!!!:D but have fun on whatever you get, but if u get an R make sure u get black, cuz i think they look bad *** in black...!!

Rrider4life8
12-03-2005, 08:09 AM
not me, i dont think 10 people have ridden my bike since it was sold in 1989. i guess if i had one of the newer bikes that are still made i wouldnt care too much, but i am very particular on who can ride it and even more who can work on it... its mostly just me for both of those...

yea well I used to have a 250r and 400ex and let people ride em. just gotta have people you can trust on them :o

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/p8dd6431f7a9c372e46b702a809b761de/f697e373.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p3ff8ba9583d4fcad1b038258e7d6a1f2/f983eb66.jpg

and this is what you YFZ could look like if you bought one!!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/p135a637846c152e1c5a2fe5527672437/f2cf026a.jpg

i more of mine ...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid181/p10f2b52d2c9230e1df40ffd71e4e1013/f2cf03a0.jpg

andrew

250r4life
12-03-2005, 02:11 PM
no offense dude, but i think your 250r and 450 have to be the ugliest ive seen of each... ha ha, i'm sorry dude but im serious... ive thoght about getting a 450 in addition to my 250r, never to replace it, and if i did it would look nothing like yours...

All_Out_06
12-03-2005, 05:17 PM
i think that ugly yfz would kill ur 250R :) and i think his YFZ is bad ***

seven
12-03-2005, 05:22 PM
I have ridden both and I really like the 06 450R. My biggest complaint with it is it sits a little taller then the YFZ. The one I got to ride had the HRC kit in it and it was every bit as fast as my YFZ. Both are great quads and I would go sit on both and buy what ever is more comfortable for you.

Rrider4life8
12-04-2005, 09:23 AM
no offense dude, but i think your 250r and 450 have to be the ugliest ive seen of each... ha ha, i'm sorry dude but im serious... ive thoght about getting a 450 in addition to my 250r, never to replace it, and if i did it would look nothing like yours...

haha, dude you got jokes. My 450 would run your little 250. Its ok no use in arguein over the gaynet. Just come to NC and we can race and ill stop that little artifact u got.

SRH
12-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by 400exMO
450r- honda reliability

thats odd , my 400ex didnt hold up to mx as well as my yfz.....

for trail and xc im sure the 450r would be more comfortable to ride for long distances and what not

Toadz400
12-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Where's the pics of yours then? I'm sure there's someone on this site that thinks your R is ugly.

I think his R looked pretty nice, I like the different color scheme and his YFZ looks badass. There's no doubt in my mind that YFZ would kill your R either, and I have ridden a highly modded 250R before. No offense though.

250r4life
12-04-2005, 04:13 PM
ha ha ha ha... yah, i'm sure every single yfz would run circles around me. im better off sticking to racing blasters huh? ha ha... i hold my own a little better than that...
and rider4life, i dont understand a word that comes out of your mouth. who taught you how to write kid?
man, look at all these people tripping... all i said is that his bikes are ugly and that i meant no offense by it, and everybody trips... i didnt even talk about all the 450s i smoke ... :D :D :D

250r4life
12-04-2005, 04:16 PM
ps- you guys talking smack are like 17 years old, what the hell do you know? ive forgotten more about quads than you'll ever know

Rrider4life8
12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
lets see a pic of this badars 250 you got. I wanna see this 450 eater you got. lol this is going to be funny!

Toadz400
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
ps- you guys talking smack are like 17 years old, what the hell do you know? ive forgotten more about quads than you'll ever know

So what if I'm 17? I'm sure I act more maturely than you...how old are you? From how you talk on here it sounds like you're not any older than I am.

And I didn't mean any offense to you by saying that a modified YFZ would kill your R, why are you tripping?

rancid
12-04-2005, 05:46 PM
wasnt this about a yfz vs.450r. there both baddass, but even in the new 06,s my 05 yfz still has no problem beating my buddies 06 honda and there modded the same.

RuffRyder
12-04-2005, 06:06 PM
I've owned both...just sold my 450R with mods for an 05 SE YFZ....It is a better bike for me. I say ride both and see which one suits your best. I ride a lot of MX and the YFZ is hands down better in stock trim.

mick686
12-05-2005, 04:09 AM
ive ridden both and the 06 honda is an improvement over the 05 model but still not up to yfz standard

mick686
12-05-2005, 04:11 AM
and the dude with the hipers on the yfz
what offset are they?????
can you buy the different offset hubs

yamaguy
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
After the first Ride Test - ATV Action said "In 2006, we fear for the 450R in a shootout against the Yamaha YFZ450"

I think that is all you need to know. That is a pretty bold statement for a magazine to make against Honda.

KOG
12-07-2005, 06:28 AM
250r4life

thats bull that the R and yfz are neck and neck... the yfz is hands down faster, period... and i am a honda guy... so, the yfz definately is a bit faster, but i love the feel and handling of the 450r way better... depends what you want

what do u mean it is way faster u sound like a guy that has never raod eather i have a 06 450r and it is right beside the 06 yfz out of 3 races between me and my buddy we were neck and neck

250r4life
12-07-2005, 11:13 AM
ha ha ha... KOG buddy, i've ridden the 05s and the 06s in both... same old story, just a different year. the yamaha is hands down faster... where i rode them was at gordons well sand dunes (glamis). from my experience of riding each of them, racing one of the 450s while on the other 450, and racing against them on my 250r, i'm telling you that the yfz is faster... quite a bit faster... maybe you are neck and neck with your buddy, thats great, a whole whopping 3 races. there is a lot that goes into it, such as weight and rider capabilities.... taking all those into consideration, the yfz is hands down faster... like i said before, i like the feel of the 450r a whole lot more, but its engine just isn't as good as the yfz. you are talking about 3 races, i'm talking about tons of races (well lets see, ive been to the dunes 4 times this season, lets say i spend an hour dragging and watching drags at the hill during the day, and 3 hours at night, that makes for 4 hours a day doing or watching it. multiply that times 2 days a trip, thats 8, times 4 trips, that means 32 hours (and thats low balling it) within the past two months of racing against or watching the races of the 450s... its not that all the yfz 450s are modded more, its simply that they are just faster... especially since in my group we have an 05 & 06 450r and 05 & 06 yfz450... all with the same paddles...

KOG
12-13-2005, 07:22 AM
im talking stock for stock 3 races they guy on the yfz is the same weight as me and what matters is it is 3 races or 100 if u are both skilled the same and same weight what is going to change we were both 5th pinned and no one was moving ahead anyone

250r4life
12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
ha ha ha... who cares about top speed? how often are you ever pinned wide open in 5th topped out to the max? i'm talking about acceleration, and in the case of climbing the hill, who pulls the hill at a faster speed. so let me see if i understand this right- you guys were dragging and he pulled ahead of you by a length or 2, and when you both topped out he was still a length or 2 ahead of you and you guys maintained that distance and nobody pulled away from eachother. about right?

440racer66
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
i would go with the yfz ive rode both i liked it better i fits my riding style its good for everthing but is personal preforance and the stly you ride and i have a 400 ex and ive had no problems out of it and the yfz ive never had a problem out of it except smoking my friends and making them mad haha nut its all up to what you like i got off my 400ex and it took me very little time to get the feel of the yfz they both are great quads

Munno#37
12-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I race a 450r right now and its a great quad.. But i had a yamaha before this,so once this season is over i will be on a yellow 2006 YFZ450!

KOG
12-14-2005, 07:01 AM
no 250r4life when i say we were neck and neck then that means we were neck and neck i never said the yfz wasnt as good just it aint light years faster like u say stock for stock they are the same if u would like i will video tape it for yea just to show u how wrong you are just because ur a big time hill shooter and see about a million races aday i bet the riders dont always weigh the same or have same mods or same skills well when i raced my freinds yfz we weigh the same and are both stock so there for we were neck and neck as in no one was a headof anyone

Built_300EX
12-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Here is what I know on these quads and I am going to write it in a comparison type way.

YFZ 450
----------
Faster on bottom end.
Setup for motocross (stock).
Electric start
Sets lower
Rougher feel

450R
----------
ALOT better of a wheelie machine.
Faster on top end.
Kickstart (05) (Electric start 06)
Sets higher
Very soft feel

I could set here and go on all day, the thing is with the 450R and the YFZ, you really can't compare them they are totally different quads. Both quads are good at what they were made for. Just look at them, see which you like better. Look at which has more mods out, which has more HP, which is better for what you do. If you need that great bottom end power then go with the YFZ if you need the TOP end speed, go with the 450R. I think they are both really great desicions. I myself am going with the YFZ. My 300EX was repossed yesterday (DEC 14th) so I am going to get something alot bigger within a few days. I miss the 300EX I won't like the YFZ half as much but when you put as much work into a smaller quad to make it run with 400EX's Z400's etc.. it's a very big downer when it comes to just getting another small quad and knowing you are going to have to put thousands of dollars back in it. But yea, just make your choice man. They are both great, you can't go wrong either way you go. Hell, you should even look at the 700R Raptors. They have more top then anything on the market, fuel injected so no need for changing jets at diff alts. etc...Also they are the same price as a YFZ.

Toadz400
12-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by KOG
no 250r4life when i say we were neck and neck then that means we were neck and neck i never said the yfz wasnt as good just it aint light years faster like u say stock for stock they are the same if u would like i will video tape it for yea just to show u how wrong you are just because ur a big time hill shooter and see about a million races aday i bet the riders dont always weigh the same or have same mods or same skills well when i raced my freinds yfz we weigh the same and are both stock so there for we were neck and neck as in no one was a headof anyone

Doesn't mean you are both the same riders. You both may suck at dragging, so you end up neck and neck. I don't know about the '06's, but as far as the older 450's I know my YFZ absolutely smoked a HRC 450R in a short-drag, but on the top end he flew by me. Same thing switching quads, except I didn't lose as badly when I was on the 450R because the rider of that quad isn't exactly the greatest.

KOG
12-20-2005, 06:38 AM
well mabey you suck and that is why the 450r flew by u at top speed it dont matter if u suck or if u dont it u both start out at the same time and are racing to see witch one is faster ur gonna end up neck and neck unless u mess up and like stall or miss a gear but stock for stock it dont matter who is riding them they are both the same at top speed

Toadz400
12-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by KOG
well mabey you suck and that is why the 450r flew by u at top speed it dont matter if u suck or if u dont it u both start out at the same time and are racing to see witch one is faster ur gonna end up neck and neck unless u mess up and like stall or miss a gear but stock for stock it dont matter who is riding them they are both the same at top speed

Unless they changed the gearing on both quads, they will not be the same at top speed. The YFZ is geared very low compared to the 450R. When you are already through the gears, it doesn't matter how good you are, if the other quad has higher gearing it's going to pull past you once you're both topped out.

250r4life
12-20-2005, 01:11 PM
KOG- you really screwed yourself over with that last sentance. you are saying that the top speed is the same and you will end up even. well, it doesnt matter if the top speed is the same, if one gets there before the other and they have the same top speed, than they wont be even, one will be in front of the other and they will maintain that position. however, the fact that you are saying both quads accelerate and top out at the same speed is ludacris, are you trying to convince us or yourself?

KOG
12-21-2005, 06:30 AM
look if u would like i will post a vid cause we raced again and this time there was 4 diffrent riders and guess what they were the same from 1st to 5th so im sorry to make a lier out of u but we matched the riders up to there skills and we raced about 15 times and i got it all on tape there were a few rider erers but other than that they are the same

Toadz400
12-21-2005, 07:36 AM
You're saying a stock '06 450R and stock '06 YFZ450 have the same exact gearing? Well, at least that levels out the playing grounds for dragging.

KOG
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
no what i am saying is that they are so close u cant tell a diffrence unless u mod them

250r4life
12-21-2005, 10:07 AM
post this vid, i would love to see it

KOG
12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
ok as soon as i get out of school

Built_300EX
12-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Ok, say I was doubled somehow by some mad scientist. I bought a new 450R and a new YFZ450. I raced them. Both bone stock at that. The 450R has more top, I don't care what anyone says. The YFZ450 has more bottom, no matter what anyone says. End of story. Everyone knows this. The end.

Toadz400
12-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Built_300EX
Ok, say I was doubled somehow by some mad scientist. I bought a new 450R and a new YFZ450. I raced them. Both bone stock at that. The 450R has more top, I don't care what anyone says. The YFZ450 has more bottom, no matter what anyone says. End of story. Everyone knows this. The end.

Yep, pretty much. KOG - I think you should REALLY stop posting on this subject.

Rrider4life8
12-25-2005, 06:26 PM
250R guy, you havent posted ne pics of your all mighty ride yet?

andrew

250r4life
12-26-2005, 11:55 AM
nope i haven't... i dont have any on my computer, but i'll see bout scanning some at my bros whenever i remember... or, better yet, i bought myself a new digital camera for Christmas, and i'll be going down to the dunes for new years, so hopefully i can get some pics of me smokin the 450s (no doubt i'm gunna be smokin em AGAIN, just gotta make sure and get some pics) and when i do i'll make sure and post them... ok andrew?

chris400
12-26-2005, 12:00 PM
why do you need top end so bad?

either one can be made faster. to me top end is nothing really, i could care less how fast it got me down a straight road, but suspension and everything else is what counts. torque, etc.

CHEVYZ
12-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Both bikes are very similar indeed. However, it really depends on the feel that you like better when choosing one over the other.. at least IMO. I have a 450r myself, my buddy has the YFZ. We have raced dozens of times, in different areas, even with different riders. In almost all races I could get the jump on the YFZ, and I would stay ahead the entire race. However, if I would do anything to mess up a little , or if the YFZ would by chance get off of the line quicker, it would either catch up, or win. Top-end is similar, but who cares. Who rides around topped out all of the time anyways, I mean, even in a good drag top-end isn't all that important if it is similar. Now, in contrast of 2006 VS. 2005, the 06 Yamaha's are more improved when compared to the Honda. Honda just made things a little better here and there, but at the same time, they made some things actually worst.... so I don't find it all that much better than the 05. The yamaha is slightly improved, but I did not notice it much. As far as speed goes, my buddy raced one that was modded, though he was also, and the 06 barely had an edge on him. I think most of the reason was that the 06's mods were better, as in things like a better exhaust system, but I will give props to the 06 for being slightly better. Both of us raced a variety of TRX's and smoked them. So, considering that the people had more mods than both of us, either we could ride better, which shows that rider is a big factor on these similar bikes, or that we actually take care of our bikes and these guys need to learn how. Either way, no bike, even bone stock, is going to be the same.

Now, stock for stock, I could not tell you. I have never raced or witnessed a stock 450r or YFZ race, 06 or not. To be honest, I don't see why you would buy a bike like this and keep it stock, but I can only go by what others tell me. In the end, both bikes are great, and I don't think that you will ever find two bikes that are exactly the same anyway. Not all outcomes are going to be the same, more than just the name of what is being ridden, or even the bike for that matter, is a factor when determining which will be better or faster for YOU.

morningracer626
12-31-2005, 11:37 AM
my buddy has a 04 450r with a HRC kit white bros. pipe jet kit etc. I'll get him every time on my yfz with just a GYT-r slip on and a K&n even if I spin on the take off I still come from behind and get by him The yfz engine is just far more advanced than the honda. face it guys! 05 yfz 450: gytr pipe K&n prm summit bumper GYT-r skidplate cobra chassis skidplate Razr1s out back Razr2s up front building my xc machine or at least looking to buy something already built soon!

Punk'd
01-01-2006, 12:02 AM
thats bull that the R and yfz are neck and neck... the yfz is hands down faster, period...

Read what you just said.. They are even but the yfz is hands down faster? PERIOD?

:rolleyes:

Toadz400
01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Now, stock for stock, I could not tell you. I have never raced or witnessed a stock 450r or YFZ race, 06 or not. To be honest, I don't see why you would buy a bike like this and keep it stock, but I can only go by what others tell me.

I have raced my '05 YFZ against a HRC '05 450R and won in a short drag, once we were both in 5th gear he passed me. We switched and had the same results. And about keeping it stock, some people can't afford to put thousands of dollars into something that already cost them thousands of dollars. I keep mine stock because my income is basically spent on payments, gas and food.

ASMalachowski
01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
As many have already said they are both great bikes and both run amazing. The biggest difference between the two bikes would have to be the gearing. Thats what makes each unique. I have witnessed a video of an R and a YFZ both modded run neck and neck with each other. The R was putting out about 5 HP more and the YFZ stuck with it like nothing. The only reason it could was because of the power delievery and gearing which allows it to run with the R. Hope this helps.

Andrew

250r4life
01-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Read what you just said.. They are even but the yfz is hands down faster? PERIOD?

:rolleyes:

i didnt say they were even, i said that it is BS to say they are neck and neck... like i said before the yfz is hands down faster... i just returned from gordons well yesterday, and had lots of good races... i rememberd to put my camera in my camel pack, but never remembered to get pics when we showed up at patton valley. my buddy has a nice 06 yfz, and he and i have great battles... with me and him it all depends on who gets the jump, and if i can get into 4th before i hit the whoops... but he and i go back and forth, and at patton valley during the day, and comp hill at night, it was usually he or i that one the heat... there was a nice 450r that was pretty quick, only he would always try to ****** (excuse me but thats the only term i know for it) start us, but anytime we would get a fair start we would beat him....

Ride1Rob
01-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Guys... It's a simple as this! Off the showroom floor the YFZ is snappier and accelerates faster than the TRX. Piped and jetted w/ filter... still the same outcome. They're both good bikes and you can't go wrong w/ either. I've ridden both and the honda surely doesn't have the hit that the YFZ does. The Honda is a bit more comfortable to ride. I've had my YFZ for 2yrs now and the only problem I've had was my wiring harness went bad. Bike feels just as strong now as it did they day that I bought it. Have a friend that has a TRX and his bike is newer than mine and his motor was about to seize (He did mention something about the bearings). He caught it b/f it did making an oil change and found the shavings in his oil filter. Whether it's a Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, or Zuk bikes will break down. Simple as that!

smlackey
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine is an atv dealer/mechanic and is currently rebuilding two 450r's for a couple of guys. One of them is almost a total loss had to replace crank and cylinder, the other is just the cylinder. I think they are both '04's. Could have been due to poor maintenance or faulty parts...who knows. I have an '04 yfz that I bought new and have not had a single problem out of it, but I take good care of it. I bought another that we are building now that the guy didn't replace the decompression plug and it blew out. I had to buy a new head, valves, cylinder, piston, and crank.

CHEVYZ
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I have raced my '05 YFZ against a HRC '05 450R and won in a short drag, once we were both in 5th gear he passed me. We switched and had the same results. And about keeping it stock, some people can't afford to put thousands of dollars into something that already cost them thousands of dollars. I keep mine stock because my income is basically spent on payments, gas and food. Well, technically not everyone spends thousands on hop-ups either. All that you really need is very basic componets, like a pipe to have them running strong. I noticed a big increase from just that.... it is a high performance bike, eventually, I don't see why you would not throw something on as times change. Off of the showroom floor, both bikes are very restricted, but I do believe that the YFZ is most likely faster. Mostly because some of the stock componets on the YFZ are better... for example, exhaust. With mods, I have seen tons of these bikes. From what I have seen in every situation, the TRX out does the YFZ. This is coming from quite a few people riding various bikes. Any modded bike can outperform another, it just depends on what you get and how much you have to spend..... so it really makes no sense to say which modded bike will be faster. Rider is probably the most important factor on any bike. You make the biggest difference on how well your bike does. I witnessed that last time I went riding bigtime.:eek:

CHEVYZ
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I wanted and forgot to add that I do see where you are coming from, but most of the people in your case don't get a 450 in the first place. These bikes are expensive, so I can see where you may have to keep it stock when there are financial issues. I have been there before. Pretty much all of my extra money on my part goes to my bike.

Ride1Rob
01-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Well... I just realized today that I'll be needing to replace my rings. Getting some blowby into my header pipe. But after 2yrs of riding the way I do that's pretty darn good. I'll more than likely end up replacing the ring, piston, conecting rod, seals and bearings as well rather than putting the same old parts in.

Ride1Rob
01-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Well... I just realized today that I'll be needing to replace my rings. Getting some blowby into my header pipe. But after 2yrs of riding the way I do that's pretty darn good. I'll more than likely end up replacing the ring, piston, conecting rod, seals and bearings as well rather than putting the same old parts in.

I was wrong :D ... The seal on my decomp plug had gone bad and allowed the oil to seep through and run down onto my header pipe. That made it look as if I was getting blowby. Still will end up replacing all stated above though... Just have a bit more time to get it done now ;)

Rrider4life8
01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by smlackey
A friend of mine is an atv dealer/mechanic and is currently rebuilding two 450r's for a couple of guys. One of them is almost a total loss had to replace crank and cylinder, the other is just the cylinder. I think they are both '04's. Could have been due to poor maintenance or faulty parts...who knows. I have an '04 yfz that I bought new and have not had a single problem out of it, but I take good care of it. I bought another that we are building now that the guy didn't replace the decompression plug and it blew out. I had to buy a new head, valves, cylinder, piston, and crank.

Ive rebuilt my engine 4 times. that doesnt mean ive had a problem with it. your always gonna get problems with bikes. no bike is mightier then the other. Its all about the rider.

yfzmotox68
01-08-2006, 09:22 PM
wtf, i have a yfz, an 04, had tons of electrical probs and some other crap, but there aint NO WAY i would trade my full race yfz for ANYTHING.......NOTHING...... when i bought mine, i rode both, yfz and r, i thought the yfz handled good and the r had a twitchy feeling in the front end, thats all it took

go with the yfz, white is faster, guaranteed

KOG
01-09-2006, 10:43 AM
if i remember right dirtwheels said that the 450r was faster and handled better in the air and all this other stuff it did better than the yfz but yet the yfz won the shootout i wonder why but i bet it has nothen to do with yamaha paying a crap load of money so that they look good

im not saying the yfz is a bad quad it is one of the best out there but u guys think it is untuchable and ur crazy

250r4life
01-09-2006, 11:27 AM
yah i got my dirtwheels a couple days ago, and they lost a lot of credibility with me with that reveiw... i smell a lot of BS... seriously, dirt wheels lost a whole lot of credibility...

Jekyl_22
01-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I stopped buying Dirtwheels a long time ago because their articles are very uninformative if you are a somewhat advanced rider. Machine shootouts are ok, but I really don't trust their judgement some of the time.

I realize that sometimes they do have very good test riders (such as Bill Ballance and Jeremiah Jones in the MX vs. XC YFZ article a whie ago), but for the most part... I really doubt that they push the machines to their limits (not saying that I do, but I believe myself to be better than a lot of their test riders). I have (for they very great majority of the time) seen them jump only very small jumps. I suppose that this might be alright for a beginner consumer, but what about people who jump in the 40', 60', 80', 100' + range?

Basically I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on your skill level, intent of use, and riding style. And some people just perform better on different machines.

I have had the luxury of being around both. I opted for the YFZ, and I couldn't be happier. I LOVE the hard hitting power (almost feels like a 2-stroke), the low stance, and the suspension is amazing for a stock bike. My YFZ has gotten me through thick and thin.... everything from dune whoops to 80' doubles and back. It seems to take about everything I can throw at it. I hate the hard seat and I hate riding slow on the YFZ because it almost hurts after a day of riding because of stiff suspension. I added foam to the seat and I bear the stiff suspension because it it awesome when riding hard and I can't yet afford Long Travel. I am willing to sacrifice comfort for (what I feel is better..) performance. I know others that like their Hondas better than my Yamaha, but guess what? I like my Yamaha more.

Does this make me right and the YFZ 450 better? Heck no. I just happen to like it. Does that make my friend with a TRX450R right? Nope, he just prefers his machine.

So think about what kind of riding you want to do and what kind of riding style you prefer, then... try and test one if you can... even if it has to be at a dealer. Accelerate, turn, wheelie, whatever you can get away with to get a feel for it, and then... decided for yourself.

Both of these machines are good, and both have the potential to be great. Either will most likely take your riding to a new level. Just try and figure out which one you want to do it on... ;)

CHEVYZ
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
I stopped buying Dirtwheels a long time ago because their articles are very uninformative if you are a somewhat advanced rider. Machine shootouts are ok, but I really don't trust their judgement some of the time.

I realize that sometimes they do have very good test riders (such as Bill Ballance and Jeremiah Jones in the MX vs. XC YFZ article a whie ago), but for the most part... I really doubt that they push the machines to their limits (not saying that I do, but I believe myself to be better than a lot of their test riders). I have (for they very great majority of the time) seen them jump only very small jumps. I suppose that this might be alright for a beginner consumer, but what about people who jump in the 40', 60', 80', 100' + range?

Basically I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on your skill level, intent of use, and riding style. And some people just perform better on different machines.

I have had the luxury of being around both. I opted for the YFZ, and I couldn't be happier. I LOVE the hard hitting power (almost feels like a 2-stroke), the low stance, and the suspension is amazing for a stock bike. My YFZ has gotten me through thick and thin.... everything from dune whoops to 80' doubles and back. It seems to take about everything I can throw at it. I hate the hard seat and I hate riding slow on the YFZ because it almost hurts after a day of riding because of stiff suspension. I added foam to the seat and I bear the stiff suspension because it it awesome when riding hard and I can't yet afford Long Travel. I am willing to sacrifice comfort for (what I feel is better..) performance. I know others that like their Hondas better than my Yamaha, but guess what? I like my Yamaha more.

Does this make me right and the YFZ 450 better? Heck no. I just happen to like it. Does that make my friend with a TRX450R right? Nope, he just prefers his machine.

So think about what kind of riding you want to do and what kind of riding style you prefer, then... try and test one if you can... even if it has to be at a dealer. Accelerate, turn, wheelie, whatever you can get away with to get a feel for it, and then... decided for yourself.

Both of these machines are good, and both have the potential to be great. Either will most likely take your riding to a new level. Just try and figure out which one you want to do it on... ;) That was by far the best way you can put it. PERIOD!

yfzmotox68
01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
i wasnt tryin to piss anyone off, i rode both and opted for the yfz, and when i had it fully built i wouldnt trade it for anything. im not saying the r was junk or anything, i just felt more comfortable on the yfz. i like both of them, but i could only buy one, if i had the $$$$$$$$ id build one of both, id just ride the yfz more:D

Yamaha Blue
03-13-2006, 01:48 PM
go with the new quadrunner suzuki 450. very nice

450rJam
03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
where are the pics and videos of the match-ups ? alot of smack talk about ill get the video or ill post the pics. (anyone want to see my 5 million hp moped break the sound barrier?) ill get a video for ya in a while

03-15-2006, 07:52 AM
natalie

cgkurt
03-18-2006, 05:30 AM
This topis will never end. The bottom line is , whatever quad you feel most comfortable with. If you ride honda, yammy or suzuki in the 450's you will not be unhappy with any of them. They are all great bikes. The Yammy won the 450 shootout against the honda. Big deal, the honda was right there. If your a good rider then it won't matter. It's that close. We will find out what happens with the next shoot out with the suzuki. I'm a honda guy. I love it!! It's fast and it's like a caddy to me.

RonJ
03-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Can someone post a pic of the decompression plug with a circle around it? Thanks in advance if able.

-Ron

Toadz400
03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Here's a pic.

Smidgy
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
man i am in the same boat as this. My two best buds have these bikes, one a 450r the other the yfz. To tell you the truth the yfz has him about 1 mph pinned on top but he wieghs 30 poounds lighter. One thing we noticed was the gearing gear to gear, the 450r has a ton more room in first, like if you were climbing a big steep hill you could leave the 450r pinned in first and it wouldn't rev out or bog out, while the yfz had to shift about halfway up the hill. I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and I still can't make up my mind, and I can see the not so obvious differences. I think for me it is all coming down on which i can get for less money.

smlackey
04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
We have two yfz's and love them both. One is pretty much stock with the exception of the gearing, carb, filter, pipe, and suspension. The other is a 490 big bore. We have not had any problems out of our bikes what so ever. I know that the Suzuki is a nice ride but not as quick as the yfz. A friend of mine has a bone stock 06 YFZ and it went in the mid 5.30's in 300 feet and later that night he rode a Suzuki with the cherry bomb and lid removed but still had the stock pipe and made two passes at 5.52. The 06 Honda looked pretty good. It was running about the same as the suzuki if not slightly faster but not much (could be the difference in tire size). The acceleration of the suzuki is nice and smooth with the fuel injection. They all have their + and -. I just like yamaha

Bender
04-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Yamaha Blue
go with the new quadrunner suzuki 450. very nice

It's a quadracer actually.

PurePerformance
04-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I own a YFZ, so I dont think I'll be biased at all. If your gonna race XC, I would definitely go with the 450r. For some reason, I think it has better ergos for trail riding than the YFZ. It also has an engine thats suitable for that riding, so is the rider position and definitely the brakes.

Lax
04-30-2006, 01:45 PM
If there was one fastest quad, dont you think everyone would be getting that one? The national races, all the companies trade for the top three spots.

What ever one you like the best. Maby Yamaha performs better in some areas, but the Honda performs better in others, and so does the suzuki.

JPhonda
05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
i just got the new dirtwheels mag in and they have a shoot out between the honda 450r the yamaha 450 and the suzuki 450. They rated the suzuki 450 the best because of its handling and the fact that its more race ready than the other 450's which means in the long run you dont have to put as much money into it. The honda 450r was rated with the most power and the most comforable. It had the worst handling because they said it wanted to two wheel in the turns. The yamaha is rated 2nd best in power and 2nd best handling. if it it was me chosing i would say go with the suzuki 450 because you dont have to mess around with it as much. The EFI is a lot better than carb. its with worst with power but its awsome handling makes up for it.

450rJam
05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
seems the yfz would have won the shoot out if it was 2nd in power and 2nd in handleing.
honda got a 1st and a 3rd
suzuki got a 1st and a 3rd
the yammy would seem to be the best with no last place finishes.
no bias on this, I ride the 450r.
the woods I ride in would be hell on a ltr because of the width,
I guess one mag's best can be another persons worst.
suzuki looks good IMO, except for that headlight.
but its not a race ready quad. the cannondale is the only one sold race ready,
suzuki has to get nerft,kill switch,etc.
I would ride any one of these and have a blast.
at this point its personal pref.

Toadz400
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
seems the yfz would have won the shoot out if it was 2nd in power and 2nd in handleing.

Exactly. No magazine is going to be able to tell you which one is best for anyone, they mostly just tell you which one they got paid the most for. If you have the chance, ride all of them and see which one fits you the best. If not, do as much research as possible and NEVER listen to the people who are completely brand-loyal, they are usually just in denial. I've owned Honda and Yamaha and I love them both, and if I had the chance I'd own a 450R and an LTR-450...but unfortunately, I don't have the salary of a CEO.

03yfz450
05-13-2006, 09:12 PM
only thing i can say is i like the yamaha doesn't seem as tippy as the honda.........and i know yamaha backs up the quads on there warrenty...

03yfz450
05-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Warranty

250r4life
05-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam

personally i think that dirt wheels is full of it, and that politics and cash distort the truth in their reveiws... if you read back when the 400ex came out, the 400 ex was guranteed to be better and FASTER than the legendary 250r if both were piped... we all know how true that is... i could not tell you completly stock vs completely stock, but lets say with at least the baffles removed and then from then on up with comparable mods, it is my experience that the yfz is faster than the 450r... i just dont think they wanted the 450r to come in last in everything...

as far as buying a suzuki for the point being it would be less expensive in the long run... well, it depends on who is buying it... somebody who will leave it stock, yes... but i'll bet most serious racers arent gunna keep anything stock on the ltr- theyre still going to go throw money into better shocks all the way around, and i wouldnt be surprised if they went with aftermarket front ends and axles... am i right? so you didnt really end up saving money...

250r4life
05-13-2006, 11:56 PM
but yah, like has been said, they're all great quads (in theory). i would not mind having a yfz or 450r (actually looking to purchase a yfz in addition to my R) and i have experience with and like both bikes... great bikes... i personally would not buy the suzuki for several reasons, but a major one is history (personal and in general) tells me that suzuki doenst put out the best bike (meaning well built and reliable), and reading in the ltr forums about the problems guys are having with their bikes doesnt rest my concerns too much...

rpyfz450
05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by All_Out_06
all the people that are saying honda reliablitity.....cmon........:cuss: ...so dont give me the BS about reliability.

I agree. The "reliability" differences are far too transparent for any of us to see.

450rJam
05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
you want to see a direct relationship between reliability and cost ? check the paper or the net for the atv classifieds,
the most frequent atv listed usually means alot of people are unloading them. the ones drawing the most resale value are
usually the most reliable (high quality anything will hold value)
there are exceptions like when one modle is updated substantially the older versions will have less value, like when the 450's came out and everyone wanted to move up from the
400's (the 400's became a pretty good deal even though they didnt lose any quality)
the 250r's are finally comeing down due to the 450's also
that is the proof of a quality product (a 20 year run at the top)

hondaboy400ex55
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
idk ive riddin both and i like the 450R bettter

st8jacket
05-22-2006, 08:56 PM
After reading 7 pages of B/S,I have to agree with 250rforlife on alot of things...I do have a 2 250r's in the family that will smoke 450's yami's and honda...And there really not modded engine wise much just really piped.The only way of really knowing witch quad will be the best for ya is to try them both out.I ended up with the 450r..It fit me better.I whent from a drag banshee to clearing 49 foot doubles in no time on it.Now I have had a few yfz owners ride the 06 R and they were very very impressed with the power it has..They were only firmiliar first hand with 05 and older.The only thing I plan on changing in the near future is getting derisi relalves and tripple rates and the gt thunder rear link..Oh and a generation X hood,I just recently rode with the owner and found his products very nice.......The end

SPECTECH
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I own a 05 yfz and a 06 450r and race harescrambles, both are great bikes both bikes are completly diffrent in how they ride and make power. Which one is more suited for you? You need to ride them both and make the decission for yourself. Whatever decission you make you got a great bike.

450rJam
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
2 250r's in the family...and there really not modded engine wise much just really piped.

ok im calling bs on that

I came off a 250r piped,jetted,k/n,cr head gasket,etc.
and my 06 450r w/hrc makes the 250r look stupid.
I loved the 250r but no piped 250r with no motor mods will
"smoke 450's yami's and honda's"

250r aint no punk but it will take more than a pipe to make it keep up with the new 450's and to "smoke them" will take
some serious mods.

st8jacket
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
yeah ok...I know what I saw and and forgive me,1 is a 87 310..Maybe operator error who knows but in a drag with both 250's and a yami450 and a honda 450 and my banshee..The winners in order were
banshee {I geuss some will have problems with this too}
310r
250r
yfz
450r
I'm not going to get into a pissing match with anyone but this race was run 6 times and every time the same on hard parcked dirt..Now on loose gravel and sand,forget it,Ill agree that a 250r will not beat any new 450 due to too much wheel spin when it gets on the pipe..Thats why power valves are popular with mxers.In a straight line on my 06450r Hrc kit installed The 250r My bro has will say right with it every time just about..

Edit here..The one 250 has a 39mill air stryker, Duncan trx6 pipe cr ignition, k&n,and boyson reed with the cr intake.The previous own witch was the second owner since new in 89,didnt know much about it except the guy used to mx race it.So who knows whats in the cylinder.We never measured the stroke or bore but the transfer ports are hogged out pretty good alot with sleeve.It may be a big bore or stroker I do not no.And wont know until It needs to come apart.Now the 87 is a 310 with v force 2's,duncan mid range pipe,39 mill air styker,cr ignition and head..
Just to clarify
To me and my familly they are not modded much,we are used to going nuts on thing...just to go fast
this is us at Coal hill in pa.
http://www.atvfan.com/album/fullview/1776.jpg

250r4life
05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
i got to hop in here... yah i agree that an unmodded 250r will not smoke the 450s...

when i had my stock original engine with a K&N, pt pipe, and rad valve, it was a dang good race with m buddies 05 450r with sparks pipe and a K&N... this was on flat dirt...

i have a lot more experience with shooting the hill at the dunes, than i do with flat drags on dirt...

and shooting the hill, it was pretty much the same thing with my buddy on the 05 450r... whoever got the jump, yada yada...

so, piped, neither one will smoke either... 06s, i think both the yamaha and the honda have the edge over the 250r...

now, a 310 is a different story... with my ported and polished 265 with a bigger carb, it is rare that i am getting beat by a 450... a properly set up 310 with a good rider should not be getting beat by a 450 without some good work done to it as well...

450rJam
05-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Ill agree a punched,ported,well built R is a bad @ss ride. that will run with or past a 450 (depending on the 450 mods)
I wasnt trying to start any bashing I just thought it was an exageration.
its all good.

250r4life
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
no i agree with you.. i didnt take it as bashing... i realize there are some over zealous owners here, including 250r owners...

i love my 250r and think it is the funnest to ride, and i will not sale it (cuz i absolutely love it and its worth way more to me than what i could sell it for) but, im also not oblivious to the facts... anything can be modded to be awesome, you just start so much further ahead with the 450s (the yfz particularly). i will be purchasing a yfz 450 in the near future to compliment my 250r...

the 450 goes through so much less gas, i can run pump if i wanted, i dont have to mix 2 stroke oil, its is newer so should have less things to replace with wear and tear, and can have a warranty...

frank mb
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Read this article:

Duncan Pont de Vaux Machines (http://www.duncanracing.com/cgi/inprintreturn.cgi?get=/misc/atvsport_dec2005.pdf&ret=1)

Maybe it is true maybe it isn't but, it gets close to all the opinions that people have here on the forum,

And if you want to know last years pont de vaux was:

1 Duncan Banshee
2 Honda 450 r
3 Honda 450 r

Bigun55
05-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Well ive rode both of them and i like the YFZ better, The 450R is geared to high. and they aint much for climbing either cause they wanna come up to easy. i like the gearing on the yfz better and how they sit low and wide. Both of them would be good to go with though i just like the yfz better.

450rJam
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
bigun55 did you try the 06 ? its geared down and longer swinger

bigH
05-29-2006, 05:56 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/450r/0/57EDA5E9-0421-4DD5-BCCC-E9C2261D0F3D.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/450r/0/6CA7F605-DD9E-4D89-8864-DF045591063C.htm

i found these videos of a r vs yfz the 1 video sux though but here it is. don't no if u guys have seen them already but here.

bigH
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
i really do like the feel of the 450r better than the yfz. small modifications could make either one faster.