PDA

View Full Version : ride quality -1 vs +2 swingarm

TheLadiesMan
11-30-2005, 08:48 PM
i looking at getting a +2 swingarm for my 350R but im not sure what to exspect. i like the way the quad feels with the -1 but when i ride the dunes the front end wont stay down. i want to sell my laegers -1 swingarm to fund a new one but i dont want to be disapointed and regrett doing it.

what will change when i change from a -1 swingarm to a +2.

Eddiesanders250
11-30-2005, 10:53 PM
wow i think it would be really hard to ride that 350 with -1 swinger. i ride my mostly stock 250 and wow its hard to keep down. i would def. go with the +2 swinger. it will keep the front end down alot better than that -1 swinger. if you ride dunes it is def. the way to go. and there is still plenty of room to pull wheelies :D

250r4life
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
ha ha ha... yah, i bet you do have a problem keeping your front end down, especially if you are in soft sand... i can't tell exactly but it looked like those were some pretty aggressive haulers, i dont know if they are 8 or 9 paddles or??? thats part of your problem... i would make sure and air those up to the max so they spin more and grab a little less... i always run my paddles way over the reccomended psi... and i would definately get rid of the minus 1 swinger... i dont know if you wanna got +2 or stock or what... i dunno, i have a hard time keeping my front end down as well when im racing, but i like how easy it comes up whenever i need it do... things like this kinda suck cuz every bike is different and youre not gunna know how it feels until you switch it on your bike

JTRtrx250r
12-01-2005, 08:43 PM
I think you should trade me swingers, your -1 for my stock length EBE, it'll add another 20HP:D :blah:

Atcually, Ive been wondering about this topic myself. Seems I live pretty close to the sand... so I may as well experiance it at least a few times, also more guys in Wa ride sand more than anything else..:ermm:

beerock
12-02-2005, 12:49 AM
heres a curve ball.

I run a -1 3/4" laeger swinger with my 330 and have no problem keeping my front end down. Although i do have +3 a-arms and long travel axis shocks to keep the front down a bit. so im not sure how it would be. maybe you should ride the bike a little more aggressively. My buddy has a walsh with 88 length swinger and a 350 PV and doesnt hev problems keeping the front down.

maybe you should try sitting more forward on the bike or change your gearing so its not as torquey.

when you start getting longer then 88 length the bike doesnt handle as quick and will kick you more over whoops causing the front end to nose dive into the next whoop.

TheLadiesMan
12-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
ha ha ha... yah, i bet you do have a problem keeping your front end down, especially if you are in soft sand... i can't tell exactly but it looked like those were some pretty aggressive haulers, i dont know if they are 8 or 9 paddles or??? thats part of your problem... i would make sure and air those up to the max so they spin more and grab a little less... i always run my paddles way over the reccomended psi... and i would definately get rid of the minus 1 swinger... i dont know if you wanna got +2 or stock or what... i dunno, i have a hard time keeping my front end down as well when im racing, but i like how easy it comes up whenever i need it do... things like this kinda suck cuz every bike is different and youre not gunna know how it feels until you switch it on your bike

yeah there 10 paddle!! they didn't help at all. i will have 8 paddles by momorial day so the tire shouldn't be that bad.

JTRtrx250r- i wouldn't mind the 20 extra horses. but im havine a hard time as it is. you might be better off keeping it for yourself!!!:devil:

beerock- how is 14-36 for gears with 20 inch paddles. with the gas cap shoved up my *** and my head over my nose peice. im im as far forward as i can be, and still being able to shift. im running +2 a-arms with stock shocks. maybe a couple bricks strapped to the bumber will do the trick.
:confused:

thatns for the replys guys. keep um coming

Tom TRX250R
12-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Lance,
I always thought you had aftermarket shocks, your next purchase even over the swingarm needs to be new aftermarket front shocks revalved to your weight and riding!!!It all depends on the dune conditions for hooking up, for traction, When it is a bit wet and tacky I can pull wheelies in every gear except for 6th, other times when it is real dry only 3rd. Overall for all conditions I would go probably go with stock 86 length or +1.

TheLadiesMan
12-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Lance,
I always thought you had aftermarket shocks, your next purchase even over the swingarm needs to be new aftermarket front shocks revalved to your weight and riding!!!It all depends on the dune conditions for hooking up, for traction, When it is a bit wet and tacky I can pull wheelies in every gear except for 6th, other times when it is real dry only 3rd. Overall for all conditions I would go probably go with stock 86 length or +1.

yeah i was looking into buying some shocks but i was to late for them. my modo has always been "if it doesn't add horsepower im not buying it". i thought i was pretty much dont with the quad but my list always seem to get bigger again
1. shocks
2. swingarm
3. CR ignition

will a 400ex swingarm fit an 86 frame? because there is a +1 3/4 laegers forsale on here.

is a 400ex swingarm length the same as an 86 250R swingarm stock?

beerock
12-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Sounds to me like your rear shock could be set up a bit better to keep the front down. if its to stiff or bottoming on accel the logical thing for the bike to do is wheelie. 14/36 sounds good, but maybe you need to run a 15 up front to tame it. Or run a higher PSI in your rear tires so they spin more, you should be running about 12 psi in the rears what are you running in them?

how much do you weigh?

your motto is what most people think, but if you dont have suspension you can only go so fast without being out of control

TheLadiesMan
12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by beerock
Sounds to me like your rear shock could be set up a bit better to keep the front down. if its to stiff or bottoming on accel the logical thing for the bike to do is wheelie. 14/36 sounds good, but maybe you need to run a 15 up front to tame it. Or run a higher PSI in your rear tires so they spin more, you should be running about 12 psi in the rears what are you running in them?

how much do you weigh?

your motto is what most people think, but if you dont have suspension you can only go so fast without being out of control

i have a custom Axis rear shock that was rebuilt by the local shop. i weigh 150lbs and i think the shocks was set up for like 180. it is on the rather stiff side. i have tried to adjust it but it doesn't really seem the be any better. it really tends the beat me up sometimes.

im not sure if i want to go any higher of gears becasue when i do normal riding around on the dunes there are some rather doggish areas. im not sure if im not used to the motor completely or if it was the 10 paddles.

im almost positive i was running like 10+ PSI in the tires.

beerock
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
lower the compression all the way on the rear shock and if you can, loosen the shock lock nuts to loosen the spring a bit. to do this fully extend the shock and loosen the nuts until the springhas no pressure on it. then while making sure the spring has no play tighten the locks back up. this should soften the shock.

wilkin250r
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by TheLadiesMan
i have a custom Axis rear shock that was rebuilt by the local shop. i weigh 150lbs and i think the shocks was set up for like 180. it is on the rather stiff side.

And probably set for 180 on the stock-length swinger. So with a -1, it's going to be REALLY stiff.

TheLadiesMan
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
anyone have any other susgestions

here is a clip of my quad on labor day. you can see how the frontend comes up
right click save as (http://72.29.68.184/~despera/250R/labor%20day%20250R.wmv)

beerock
12-05-2005, 07:47 PM
well, dude your wearing like nothing, do you even have boots on? LOL

if your bike is riding like that its def the shock. I wouldnt change the swingarm for that kind of wheeling. I purposely ride my bike like that in drags to keep the front light and less friction. I think you should loosen the spring up on the rear shock if its possible. if the nuts are locked right where the spring is unsprung then your gonna have to go down on spring weight. try lowering the compression all the way(if it isnt already) if it is. then check the spring like i said.

in that video when you say far right you mean -----> way right?
the bike isnt wheeling out of control, you are a bit light I weigh 165-175 and when the front comes up I move forward but i try to stay back on the seat as much as i can. you weigh a little less so it is harder to do, I def think playin with your rear shock will help.

TheLadiesMan
12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
just work boots!! i can't ride in riding boots, and it was hot as hell. i normally have a cut off on. like i said b4 i dont buy it if it doesn't add HP. that goes for my gear too. i need to work on that!!

the video wasn't that good. those were the races that i won, because i was able to keep the front down some. i got other footage that really shows how it shoots up. those weren't even close to how high it was coming up. defently going to work on the rear shocks some. how much would it be to revalve it do you think?

yeah WAY right as i dont even comeinto the video till the end.