PDA

View Full Version : starting gate

jon67
11-30-2005, 07:35 PM
heres the problem, on the starting gate i get super nervous and i hate it. it affects how i race that moto. does anyone have any suggestions besides just "nut up" and dont be a pus**y, any advice would be helpful, thanks

hardkoratvmxr
11-30-2005, 07:38 PM
i am the same way. while your at the gate waiting for the race in front of you to end talk to another rider or think about another sport or something that can distract you from the start. then i watch the person holding the board and dont tighten my gloves or put my goggles on until he holds up the 1 minute board. then i start singing to myself. when he goes to 30 seconds focus on the gate and your nervousness should be gone. well at least it is for me\.

450robot
11-30-2005, 07:56 PM
haha, my first xc race was halarious... well kinda...

i was so nervous at the line up, my hand were shaking like crazy, so bad that when i started up my motor to warm it up, i had forgot i left it in gear (again from nervousness) my hands were shaking so bad that it disengaged my clutch, and my quad ran into the guy in front of me hahaha

but now, i just alk to the people beside me until the race starts, and im fine

400exrules
11-30-2005, 08:12 PM
i get nervous and i constantly check my gear while im waiting to make sure everythings tight and good to go, i always invision something bad happening, and me crashing..........which is the absolute opposite of what you want to be thinking about:ermm:

QuadJunkies
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
I dont think that feeling EVER goes away comepletly ;)

Nick110
12-01-2005, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Moto49X
That will go away with time. The longer you race the more you will just forget about it.

True. but it wont completly go away. when i first started racing i was so nervous i almost peed my pants. Now its just normal for me to go up to the gate.

Like hardkoratvmxr said i dont shift down into first or up into second until the 30 sec.

jrd426
12-01-2005, 06:36 AM
do what i do!get off your bike and do some jumping jacks, jump up and down, do some stretches, push ups, ect..it will warm your body up and lossen you up.it will also get you pumped to do battle and keep your mind off of the race til its time to rock!!!! try it, see how you feel!

duke416ex
12-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I had a bad problem with that, so bad I was usually last in the holeshot. I took some advice from some pro riders that helped me. Now when I put my bike on the line I talk to a few people then I just kinda walk away from everyone, go take a leak or whatever. Then when I sit back on the bike I put my helmet on and put my head down, I just close my eyes and relax. It really helps me to concentrate on the start. I also pray before each race not just for me to do my best, but also that no one gets hurt and everything like that, I think that helps give me a little peace of mind.

jwick07
12-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Streach and pray for saftey I do it all the time and it helps and then I shake the hands and the guys right next to me and tell them the be safe and have fun. Find my wife in the stands and then Im good.

steveatv3
12-01-2005, 07:24 AM
I usually just say a prayer before the gate drops and thats it. Give it hell and stay out front, thats what your there for i just say that im in it to win it and **** the rest lol

im not nervous at all just keep your head up and get out front, majority of my starts are top 3 and if you get cought in traffic look for open lines and avoide traffic, i start 3ft or so from the gate so i can anticipate it dropping and i can get a bit of a rolling start so i dont spin out of the hole

duke416ex
12-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by jwick07
I shake the hands and the guys right next to me and tell them the be safe and have fun.

I always start next to my brother, we always talk to each other right before the flag drops and wish each other luck. I have learned not to just get so focused just to ignore everyone else on the line, just wish everyone luck and hope for the best. I understand that you are gonna not like some of your opponents, but if you focus on just beating one person or getting back at someone, it will take a lot away from your race.

12-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I was so nervous my first race. My quad would NOT idle that day. so I had to keep it running, and when it would die it would take like 30 secconds to get it runing again.

so all the other guys where just laing back, some with their helmets off... but me. no, I dident know the routine so I was staring at that damn gate for a good 5 minutes, all reved up and ready to go. lol. when it droped I was definetly ready and got somewherein the top10 in the holeshot.

but putting your head doun on the handle bars and singing sounds like it would work. personally I just stare of into space and think of getting bj's from the gf... till the guy comes out with the flag thing and then I just stare at the gate skreaming in my head, blocking out the other sounds.