PDA

View Full Version : 250r engine swap help please

cabowabo
11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
I have a very nice 1986 honda 250r that I bought 6 months ago and really like how it has been redone by former owner. It is clean and freshly powdercoated red on frame, white plastic, douglas red label rims, etc.

I however, do not enjoy the forward kicking on this thing or the fumes from the 2 stroke gas/ oil mix. I just ride for fun, but like to blast away when i can and go fast. I am considering either selling this thing and just getting an electric start 4 stroke, or keeping it cause it looks so nice and doing an engine swap. I dont really want to have to crate this thing up and ship it. My engine is in great shape freshly rebuilt by former owner and looks very clean. I have been watching ones that are not as nice sell on e-bay pretty regular. I would sell mine to help finance new engine purchase.

If anyone would be so nice as to give advice on which honda engines would fit in this frame, 400ex, 300ex, etc. without major modifications. I heard from one source that the 400ex motor may be a little tall for the 250r frame. I would rather have something with still good power in the 250r. I am handy at fabricating, but never did this kind of swap on an atv. I am a harley rider who just got back into the dirt thing after a long break. I feel confident i could handle it, but you guys really know your stuff on these 250r's , so If anyone out there has seen a swapped engine, please feel free to e-mail me any information you may be willing to share..the pro's and con's. Located in Maryland here.

Thanks again for the help!

BLAZZIN
11-30-2005, 07:46 PM
My uncle has a 250r with a 350x honda three wheeler engine in it, and I know that he had to modify some engine mounts and the head pipe. Otherwise I believe it fit fine

SRBURNER
11-30-2005, 07:50 PM
I DO WANT TO CHANGE MY MOTOR TO A 250R MINE IS A 30EX FROM A 2003 HONDA TRX.

BLACKeR
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
your pretty frame wont look as pretty when you grind off your other engine mounts and weld on new ones. if your just tooling around and ripping some sell it and get somethign like a 400ex. or better yet find someone with a 400ex who wants to trade for a 250R

beerock
11-30-2005, 08:25 PM
bro Listen, EVERYBODY that has owned a R in the begining has smashed there shin on the starter at lleast once. once you learn how to start em right there easy to start.

what kind of oil are you running in this R? different oils have different smells. some people love the maxima castor 927 for its sweet smell. mayeb try that? If not, AMSOIL dominator oil is a very clean burning oil.

dober250R
11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Everytime I hear someone even thinking about hacking up a 250R frame, it makes me want to smack them upside the head and ask em what they are thinking and what they are smoking.

cabowabo
11-30-2005, 09:14 PM
thanks guys....maybe i ought to rethink this a little before I mess with the 250r

Eddiesanders250
11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
good choice

250r4life
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
put the saw down and step away from the 250r... dude, dont ruin a 250r, especially a nice one...if you want a thumper, buy a thumper. leave the 250r for someone who will love and appreciate it, there really are so few nice ones out there....

wilkin250r
12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Ok, everybody here is a little passionate about the 250r, but I'll give you and objective point of view.

I know the 350X was a popular conversion, but that only eliminates the premix. You still have the foward-kick to deal with.

I think the 400EX requires extensive modifications, and the 300EX is just too small, no power.

However, if it's a 4-stroke you want, then forget the hacking and welding. Just sell the 250r, and buy a new quad. That way, you get a frame and engine that were designed to go together. I bet you could find a few people that would be willing to trade their 4-stroke straight across for a 250r.

xcracer416
12-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
put the saw down and step away from the 250r... dude, dont ruin a 250r, especially a nice one...if you want a thumper, buy a thumper. leave the 250r for someone who will love and appreciate it, there really are so few nice ones out there....

AMEN!!!!!!!! exactly what he said^^^^^^^^

beerock
12-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ok, everybody here is a little passionate about the 250r, but I'll give you and objective point of view.

I know the 350X was a popular conversion, but that only eliminates the premix. You still have the foward-kick to deal with.

I think the 400EX requires extensive modifications, and the 300EX is just too small, no power.

However, if it's a 4-stroke you want, then forget the hacking and welding. Just sell the 250r, and buy a new quad. That way, you get a frame and engine that were designed to go together. I bet you could find a few people that would be willing to trade their 4-stroke straight across for a 250r.

your objective point of view was pretty much the same as everyone elses LOL dont mess wit the R:blah: