PDA

View Full Version : Just GOT A 416 KIT!!!!!!!!!

rdmex
06-25-2002, 04:10 PM
I just put my order in for my JE 10.8:1 416 Piston Kit. Am I going to like it or love it or hate it? I hope it is everything everything everyone says it is. I also ordered a XR400 cam, will i be noticing a great power increase with these things? Also i have a question, do i need to break it in by like runnin 2 or 3 tanks of gas through it before running it hard? And also any jetting suggestions would be helpful because i have 165 main and 42 pilot in there right now and i was wondering if im gonna need to go alot higher, or just reasonable higher or what? THANKS any help will be appreciated.

06-25-2002, 04:28 PM
sweet, let us know how installation is, and the performance of the 416, yeah, i would break it in before riding it hard, but that's just me

06-25-2002, 04:31 PM
fool answer me on aol, i gotta deal for u

06-25-2002, 04:46 PM
me?

06-25-2002, 04:50 PM
no not u

RytM1
06-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Rdmex, I just put that kit in mine last week. I ordered mine from Marcum's, and Terry's suggestion for breaking it in was to run it for approx. 20 minutes, going through all the gears, but never more than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Shut it down, let it sit for a day, then do the same thing for 20 minutes. Then change the oil, and you are good to go. I think you will be happy with the improvement. Its hard to keep off the throttle, but the front end came up on mine through the first 3 gears. As far as the jetting, I'm running a K&N filter with an E-Series slip-on, and using a 155 main before the 416 kit. Seeing as how I'm not supposed to hit full throttle yet, I don't know if I will have to mess with the jetting, but as of now, it runs fine.

rdmex
06-25-2002, 06:18 PM
thanks, do i need to run any kind of different oil to keep my engine cooler or do i need to worry bout my engine being hot?

RytM1
06-25-2002, 06:24 PM
I was told I can run whatever kind of oil I preferred, and I'm going to switch to a synthetic once this is broken in (just for cost effectiveness). Terry told me that break-in lube isn't necessary, just coat the new parts with fresh oil. While I had everything apart, it was time for an oil change anyways, so I did that. I used regular oil for the re-fill/break-in seeing as how I was going to be draining it again after 40 minutes of riding. The synthetic oil will be going in this weekend. The engine is supposed to run a little hotter, and I'm considering adding an oil cooler from FST to supplement the stock one. It is said to keep the oil temps 50-100 degrees cooler.

Wired
06-25-2002, 06:25 PM
same question i have too! i just ordered the 416 kit from marcums and was wondering what i need to do to keep the engine cool.

rdmex
06-25-2002, 06:26 PM
ok sounds good i dont think it will be nessecarry to go with the new oil cooler but thanks. lemme know how it runs and what u think when u get it pinned out. and all through the gears. im anxious to know, and tell me if its rich and what u bumped up to or whatever.

Ex'r Marlin
06-25-2002, 09:39 PM
I love my 416, JE 10.8 to 1 kit. I don't have my Hot Cam stage 2 in yet, but I still noticed an impressive difference just with the higher compression piston!:)

As for jetting, I currently have a 42 pilot and a 165 jet, but my mechanic (Ex'rMike) is still playing with it.... (It runs good, but when I was in the West Virginia mountains, I noticed some low rpm bog.... Thinking it was running too rich at low rpm's.

As for break in.... There is a lot of info on this forum in past threads that I would recommend you taking the time to read. I took the advise of what I read on here.... And so far, it has been working great!