PDA

View Full Version : My New 416 Kit Questions!!

Wired
06-25-2002, 04:10 PM
i just got myself a 416 kit from marcums sunday night and i have a few questions for anyone running something similar to my setup. heres what i got... 416 EX: 416 piston kit, HOTCAMS Stage 2 cam, Modded Stock Carb, Twin Stage UNI air filter, T-4 Procircuit slip on exhaust, modded air box cover, K & N jetting kit. alright heres my questions i have for ya. i know by running the higher compression the ex will run alot hotter. will i need to throw in some sort of oil cooler like a new oil tank, or shrowds? or isnt any of this neccesary? i run my quads pretty hard so it probably will get pretty hot. i'll be running 50/50 race gas to try to keep the temp down and help with the high compression pistons performance. so if anyone has any tips on keeping the temp down on my new 416ex i'd really appreciate it! or if i forgot anything else i should do to the ex before running it hard let me know!! im still pretty new with 4 stroke engines! thanks

jon

06-25-2002, 04:12 PM
shrouds are a cheap way to lower temperature amd make your bike look better doing it

RytM1
06-25-2002, 06:06 PM
I just put the 416 kit in my EX last week, and I'm considering adding the FST oil cooler kit. It doesn't replace the stock one, but supplements it. It claims to lower oil temps 50-100 degrees. Click on the "new product release" link in the site. http://www.fourstroketech.com/

Mxbubs
06-25-2002, 07:53 PM
I dont mean to sound like a know it all, but when it comes to the 400ex motor, Ive either broken it or burned it up. HEAT is the number one killer of the motor. You need a good oil, I use and love Royal Purple straight 40 weight. Ive have been told by a lubrication engineering that the MOBIL1 has polymers that can wreak havoc on a wet clutch setup, but the royal purple is supposedly safe. Any thing you can do to cool the motor, spend the money now, or spend alot more later.

nakomis0
06-25-2002, 08:07 PM
What compression is your piston anyways?

You can see my mods, and my bike runs hot, but still fairly safe. The hottest I got the temp was 235*, and i guess Oil stops its ability to lubricate at 300*. I do change my oil alot. every 2 weekend rides ussually. 20-50 semi-synthetic

Tommy 17
06-25-2002, 08:44 PM
i just run tinner air scoops with my 406... i never noticed it running hot... its seems fine to me...

06-25-2002, 10:09 PM
I also run that Royal purple synthetic race oil stuff, i know nothing about it cept that it cost lil more and keeps my motor cooler

Razorback
06-26-2002, 06:56 AM
there is a question similar to this posted to sparks racing on ********. check it out. he says that the oil tank won't make a difference.

http://vs03.tvsecure.com/~vs0319b/ask-the-pros/curtis-sparks/ask-curtis-sparks-3.htm

06-26-2002, 08:14 AM
Jon run good oil in it is my first suggestion. mobil 1 V-twin synthetic will do the job just fine. I use maxima 100% synthetic in mine and I never feel as though the motor is running hotter than it should,,make sure to break it in properly too. You'll love this kit man,,heel clickers will be a thing of the past for ya,,,bigarse supermans comin in the near future with this power..:D