PDA

View Full Version : 06 Battery Box Mod

Brit Mansell
11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
I never was a big fan of where Honda mounted the battery on the 400EX and I was very amazed that they did the same thing on their high-end sport quad. These things are supposed to be at least close to race ready.

The battery would be the first thing to go in the inevitable first turn pile up that every MX'er has experienced.

Well, to remedy that problem and to lower the center of gravity, I designed (prototype pictures) a battery box that relocates the battery to the front of the engine, just below the radiator.

These will be produced soon, but I don't have any preliminary prices yet. The kit will be completely a bolt on job. The only modification required will be the removal of your stock battery box, which you could actually leave in tact if you so desire.

Email me at brit@mansellracing.com if you have any questions.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.mansellracing.com/images/trxBatteryBox/IMG_7932.jpg

.brit

Brit Mansell
11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.mansellracing.com/images/trxBatteryBox/IMG_7930.jpg

Brit Mansell
11-30-2005, 02:19 PM
http://www.mansellracing.com/images/trxBatteryBox/IMG_7939.jpg

QuadRacer041
11-30-2005, 02:32 PM
i would think that is too close to the engine and exhaust. i think that would be too hot of an area to mount the battery there.

Brit Mansell
11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
That was my biggest concern, but since that area is mostly open the air flows through so quickly that the battery doesn't get hot.

Here's the proof. After a moto take off your gloves and put your hands down below the radiator. It's far enough away that you don't feel hardly any heat from the engine/exhaust and it's even less when the quad is moving.

.brit

TCracin440ex
11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
i think the battery located in the airbox would be the safest route....

Brit Mansell
11-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i think the battery located in the airbox would be the safest route....

I've been through a few batteries in my YFZ's from them hitting the swingarm.

Plus, if we're really trying to make the quad as agile as possible, we need to keep the weight as low as possible.

.brit

kos462
11-30-2005, 03:22 PM
The Mighty Cannondales Were Mounted there

Brit Mansell
11-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kos462
The Mighty Cannondales Were Mounted there

And... the mighty LTR.

.brit

Shawn H
11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Great job, I have a few questions what gauge material is used, I wonder if it will be strong enough and take the abuse (the brackets that mount to motor mounts)

Also I would not run my rezi line on the outside of the Subframe does not look like it could sustain a blow from a bumper IMO

I like it:cool:

wanta450
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
great idea

shamisc
11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
It isn't a dry cell battery is it? I would think you're not suppose to turn it on the side??? :confused: It looks awesome though!:muscle:

Honda
11-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Great Idea!!!

Honda Pays Engineers, and spends millions on research, but they can't thinkof these things when building a new Product?

Maybe i wouldn't have to spend % Grand on suspension if the Manufactures would build them the way they should be built, the first time!

Maybe they think we are so Red Neck that we wouldn't notice!

Anyway, great idea, we need more like it!

;)

Snoopy450r
11-30-2005, 08:25 PM
sweet

Brit Mansell
12-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Shawn H
Also I would not run my rezi line on the outside of the Subframe does not look like it could sustain a blow from a bumper IMO]

Agreed, but when this picture was taken (two days ago) the quad was nowhere close to being ready to ride.

I'm going to have to trim the back plastic (the part that holds the owners manual) to allow the line to run between the subframe and plastic. That just hasn't made it high on the list of priorities yet.

The metal used is .063 4130. It will hold up!

Thanks for the compliments. Please keep the critiques coming. If this product actually has potential, I need to know everyone's feedback, good or bad.

thanks,
.brit

Brit Mansell
12-01-2005, 08:53 AM
A few of you have asked for a picture of the whole quad. Here it is:

http://www.mansellracing.com/images/trx%20cutout%20600.jpg

.brit

macsolocam
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I can't see your photos...can you email me some....tks.

amac@brightwood.biz

Brit Mansell
12-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Email sent. Anyone else having problems seeing the pictures?

.brit

12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
that's a very nice quad.

one concern i see is this......

it's hard to see in the photos......but i see only one mounting point (motor mounts). what holds the bracket up top? is it attached the the radiator in some way?

because, if you don't have an upper mount, i'm thinking that bracket will be very bouncy/springy, and the battery would be constantly bouncing up and down.

Brit Mansell
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by force is it attached the the radiator in some way?

Yes, it has a center mount in the front that bolts to the radiator (same hole used for the bottom fan bracket). No drilling, anywhere!

It is very sturdy in the frame.

.brit

spincr4hire
12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
nice idea, and great design!

FreeStylerEx
12-01-2005, 12:43 PM
wasnt it welded to the frame.. how you the subframe look smooth

Lonestar_R
12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I haven't had mine off but is there a way to incorporate the plastic cover over the battery up there.....you would hardly notice it up there...cause you would never even see the terminals that way...I know I hate to clean around them when I had my 400EX and now with that new cover it's a cleaner look even though they put it in the same place

Brit Mansell
12-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylerEx
wasnt it welded to the frame.. how you the subframe look smooth

The OEM box was welded to the subframe. Just be careful when you cut it off. It's not hard.

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
I haven't had mine off but is there a way to incorporate the plastic cover over the battery up there.....you would hardly notice it up there...cause you would never even see the terminals that way...I know I hate to clean around them when I had my 400EX and now with that new cover it's a cleaner look even though they put it in the same place

The stock plastic piece incorporates the solenoid. I didn't want these vulnerable elecrical components hanging under the engine, so I left them between the gas tank and the little plastic shield.

The final design will probably include a better connection design for the cables and better shielding. This is just a prototype to determine if this position will be good.

thanks,
.brit

Dave400ex
12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Looks awesome, I like it. Do you think that it's really needed for XC racers?

Also what hood is that on the front? I haven't seen any for the 06 yet.

Snoopy450r
12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
what would you charge for the battery case?

TRX450R1
12-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Sweet looking quad, nice solution. Our only problem would be our twin PEP stabilizers fit criscrossed in there. No room for a battery and it would not be able to start our engines anyway.
A good product however.

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex Do you think that it's really needed for XC racers? I honestly don't think it's even really needed for MX racers. It's a "just in case" product that just happens to improve center of gravity and balance slightly. It's in no way a necessity for either form of racing, but would be just as effective in either form of racing in my opinion. Although I don't think it's a necessity, if you got rear ended either in the woods or on the track, you would probably be glad you had one on.

Originally posted by Dave400ex Also what hood is that on the front? I haven't seen any for the 06 yet.

Stock. I have a QuadTech in for it, but I think the stock one looks pretty sweet.

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy450r
what would you charge for the battery case?

Not sure yet, we're working on the design still. We're also going to include some trick billet CNC pieces for the top cover.

The next design will place the battery in an upright position, just in case.

As soon as we get the design completed, we'll know more about pricing.

.brit

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R1
and it would not be able to start our engines anyway.

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm curious as to why would the OEM electric start not be able to start your quad?

Good point about the steering stabilizers, though. The gusset kit I produce puts the dual stabilizers just behind the front bumper. I think the PEP design would be the only thing that might get in the way of the battery box. There are so many other stabilizer designs out there that I don't think it would be a recurring problem.

thanks,
.brit

fandl450r
12-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Brit, You have any more pics of how you have your rear shock bottle attached?

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Brit, You have any more pics of how you have your rear shock bottle attached?

Not yet. I'm going to have to do some grinding on the plastic to actually get the line run the way I want it. It basically just mounts directly under the rounded part of the subframe, on the back-most portion of the subframe. Nothing magic. It still uses the Axis-supplied hose clamps and rubber spacers.

I will post some pictures after I notch the plastic if you would like me to.

.brit

spincr4hire
12-02-2005, 07:22 AM
If the battery box held a bigger battery, that would be a good idea also. I don't think the stocker has quite enough juice for quick starts.

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
If the battery box held a bigger battery, that would be a good idea also.

Agreed.

What is everyone's opinion on the best battery to upgrade to?

.brit

fandl450r
12-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Yea that would be awesome, I got a full set coming from Quinn Motorsports so I was just thinking of a unique place to clamp it. By the way, seen you race earlier this year, you are ungodly fast!

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Yea that would be awesome, I got a full set coming from Quinn Motorsports so I was just thinking of a unique place to clamp it. By the way, seen you race earlier this year, you are ungodly fast!

I don't know about "ungodly" fast. I broke my collar bone about a month ago, so I've been forced to slow down during healing. I'm going to race this weekend for the first time since the wreck. That should be interesting.

I'll let you know when I get some good pictures. Feel free to email me at brit@mansellracing.com with any other questions.

.brit

fandl450r
12-02-2005, 12:38 PM
It's appreciated. I assume you knw Patton Thompson then, he's a good buddy of mine, went to high school with him. You racing at Monster Mountain this weekend at the SE Quads race?

MXRACER86
12-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I think that this is a great idea!

Brit Mansell
12-02-2005, 07:18 PM
It's appreciated. I assume you knw Patton Thompson then, he's a good buddy of mine, went to high school with him. You racing at Monster Mountain this weekend at the SE Quads race?

I don't really know him off of a quad, but he's a good rider for sure.

I'm definitely going to ride this weekend. First race back!

.brit

Dave400ex
12-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Brit Mansell
Agreed.

What is everyone's opinion on the best battery to upgrade to?

.brit

This is a good question for Pappy, you should ask him what would be best.

popo
01-13-2006, 06:08 AM
I know of a company that's in the testing phase with a carbon fiber battery box which will mount under the hood.

But the battery will be expensive.

Don't ask I can't give any details out yet. I posted it just to tease you.

Or you could buy a Yamaha and not have worry about your slow starting Honda :p

Pappy
01-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
This is a good question for Pappy, you should ask him what would be best.

IM GEUSSING SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF A YTX14BS.

the only issue with that is that they are taller/wider and would probably pose clearence issues.

the idea is great. the issue i have regarding comparing this location to a cdale is the cdale had a rear exiting exhaust(from the cylinder), the 450r does not. and at $75 a crack or more, frying a battery isnt going to make people happy. using 4130 for construction will only compund the problem as it will absorb the heat and retain it, passing it along to the battery. i havent done any testing so it may not be an issue at all.

the battery stock is agm so mounting it at an angle should pose no problems except that the jaring it will take could lead to failure due to plate seperation.

spincr4hire
01-13-2006, 06:54 AM
YTZ-7S (stock battery) vs. YTZ-12 or 14 (same size)

size comparison

YTZ-7 (4 7/16" x 2 3/4" x 4 1/8")

YTZ-12/14 (6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8")

CAD top view

spincr4hire
01-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Side view:

Brit Mansell
01-13-2006, 07:35 AM
spincr,

I didn't see your post when I replied to your PM, so please disregard it.

As for that battery fitting in the same location, I don't think it would. I do think you could mount it length-wise between the frame rails, though. That's another location I've been looking at, but I'm currently riding the second version of the box right now (version 1 pictured above doesn't mount in a good place), with no apparent problems.

In my experience thus far, the heat is not a problem. I've ridden this quad a lot now and for 30 minute motos a few times. No issues.

.brit

Brit Mansell
01-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
using 4130 for construction will only compund the problem as it will absorb the heat and retain it, passing it along to the battery.

4130 wasn't chosen for it's heat dissipation properties. It was chosen for it's strength. There's no way a sheet of aluminum would withstand the abuse.

Thanks for the critiques, though. They are appreciated.

.brit