PDA

View Full Version : Need quick reply outerwears question!

yellow400ex05
11-30-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm going to have outerwears on my new K and N airfilter, so with it on am I better off now with having my airbox lid off then without the prefilter? Like is it alot safer to take it off now and not get as much water or dust into my engine?

and are all outerwears water resistent?

I need a quick reply. thanks:macho

underpowered
11-30-2005, 06:18 AM
yes, the outerwears wil keek more dust out of your engine than without it. it is also waterproof to repel water from entering your filter as well. I run my K&N with an outerwears airbox cover and it works well, but the filter still needs to be cleaned after every ride.

yellow400ex05
11-30-2005, 06:29 AM
What about just having the airbox lid removed is it safer?

underpowered
11-30-2005, 11:53 AM
yes the outerwears will help it filter better and be safer on your engine but only slightly, the outerwears is there to keep water out mainly

woodsman250r
12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Get the outerwears with the EHS kit. You can get one on ebay and use your stock lid. It will seal much better and it is easier to clean and remove. Most outerwears use velcro to keep them sealed around the airbox while the EHS lid has the top of the airbox lid removed holding an outerwears cover in place with a billet clamp. This provides the best seal and flow. I had one on my R for the woods and never had a problem with water and dirt getting in. Also you might want to consider getting a snorkelfilter. You can get them for like $7 in rockymountain and keep a lot of dirt and junk from coming into your box from the snorkel hole. Just be sure to clean it and spray filter oil on it so it will trap dirt like an oil filter.

F-16Guy
12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
The outerwears does not make your filter waterproof, but it does help repel water that might get splashed into your airbox. It's mainly a screen to filter out the big dirt and mud particles. If you're going to ride through big puddles or do stream crossings, then leave the airbox lid on.

rmz250
12-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Your motor will blow up.

yellow400ex05
12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by rmz250
Your motor will blow up.

were you being sarcastic or for real lol call me a complete dumbass but were you serious? And how would it blow up?

Thats the last thing i need someone to say!:rolleyes:

rmz250
12-01-2005, 01:47 PM
LOL man I was just kidding because you always believe anything someone says. Don't even worry about half this stuff dude.

Sjorge450R
12-01-2005, 03:51 PM
leave your lid on and dont get a prefilter. I do it and my air boot is always clean from the front to back even after riding in the muddiest conditions.

AtvMxRider
12-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
The outerwears does not make your filter waterproof,

Thats right. My son sucked water in his filter and went into the motor and broke the piston, bent the rod and screwed up the crank.:ermm:

fasterblaster09
12-02-2005, 07:26 PM
When I had my 300ex,I had a k&n,no outerwear.and no airbox at all,whole thing removed.Never had any problems..but im not suggesting it.